Moss: F1 no longer fun with no risk to life and limb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Moss: F1 no longer fun with no risk to life and limb

Sir Stirling Moss thinks it is “a shame” that Formula One is so safe today.

“The concept, the whole idea, has changed,” the British legend, who started winning grands prix in the middle of the 50s, said on Austrian Servus TV.

“That’s a shame, because we had fun risking life and limb and that’s gone now, really,” added Moss, 82.

Moss admits that the danger was a key factor in his enjoyment of racing.

“In my opinion, if you don’t want to take risks, play tennis,” he added.
=D> :lol:

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Moss: F1 no longer fun with no risk to life and limb

I agree with him!

And I was about to post this yesterday but forgot to, so I'm glad you did.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall
bhall

:wtf:

Among others, let's ask Ayrton Senna, Mike Hawthorne, Gilles Villeneuve, Jochen Rindt, and Alberto Ascari how they feel on the subject.

Cam

bhallg2k wrote::wtf:

Among others, let's ask Ayrton Senna, Mike Hawthorne, Gilles Villeneuve, Jochen Rindt, and Alberto Ascari how they feel on the subject.
](*,)
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

simieski
simieski

So the odd drive, marshall or spectator death through the course of a season would make it more enjoyable to watch? I am a bit lost for words how any sane person would want to promote this.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

vikram_d
vikram_d

You do not need to risk life and limb for something to be fun. It's a silly statement from somebody like Moss.

SeijaKessen

I may be wrong, but I think it was Ron Dennis who said, had Ayrton known what was going to happen to him, it was unlikely he would have done anything differently.

FW17

simieski wrote:So the odd drive, marshall or spectator death through the course of a season would make it more enjoyable to watch? I am a bit lost for words how any sane person would want to promote this.
You should ask one of these guys what they were doing

bhall
bhall

SeijaKessen wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think it was Ron Dennis who said, had Ayrton known what was going to happen to him, it was unlikely he would have done anything differently.
That's very easy to say and is likely rooted in the psychology of grief. There's no way to know what went through the minds of those men when their last breath was breathed.

F1 is not a gladiator sport.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

^^Now that's something I've never understood nor enjoyed. So I don't feel too bad for the spectators when they get hit if they're willing to put themselves in those situations.

edit: referring to the rally picture.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

SeijaKessen

vikram_d wrote:You do not need to risk life and limb for something to be fun. It's a silly statement from somebody like Moss.
I agree.

But, it's about the thrill with living life on the limit. No different than people who skydive, base jump, or anything else. There is a thrill that comes from pushing to the limit of life and death that safe sports cannot provide.

Keep in mind though, he comes from a different era where danger in motor racing was perfectly acceptable.

SeijaKessen

bhallg2k wrote:
SeijaKessen wrote:

That's very easy to say and is likely rooted in the psychology of grief. There's no way to know what went through the minds of those men when their last breath was breathed.

F1 is not a gladiator sport.
It's not, but F1 was viewed akin to knights going into battle on their horses. It was populated by gentlemen racers during Stirling's days.

simieski
simieski

SeijaKessen wrote:

I don't doubt this for a second and I am sure many other drivers would feel the same way. But surely this is the reason why it is the responsibility of those in charge of the sport to ensure its safety.

I believe I recall Jackie stewart saying at one point he lost something like 57 friends in this sport. No deaths in nearly 20 years is a testament to the efforts of those who have made this sport safer.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

bhall
bhall

SeijaKessen wrote:[...]

Keep in mind though, he comes from a different era where danger in motor racing was perfectly acceptable.
Danger is motorsport is still perfectly acceptable. But, like everything else, that level of accepted danger is a reflection of the time.
Last edited by bhall on 20 Jul 2012, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Tim.Wright

Or you can ask what the current drivers think of it... :wink:

http://www.thef1slate.com/news/120720?u ... acebook%29
Not the engineer at Force India