Metric vs Imperial units

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jon-mullen

Re: Metric vs Imperial units

xpensive wrote:For the record Jon, the French also had this idea about a ten-day week, how about that?
So each mistress could have her own day of the week, I suppose. 8)

I'm glad we have the 360° coordinates, even if it is completely arbitrary. It's evenly-divisible in a ton of different ways and we were never going to get by using radians. Imagine carpenters spec'ing a pi/2 angle.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

mep

There is also that new angle where a full circle has 400degree.
Therefore a right angle has 100°.
However I think a full circle should have 100°

raymondu999

Re: Flexible wings controversy 2010

Just_a_fan wrote:I think you'll find that the UK is metric in all but name so far as engineering is concerned.

The only areas that are still imperial are road use (miles and miles per hour - fuel is already sold in litres) and beer.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a liter of beer than a pint :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mr moda

Well 22.86 centimetre nails wouldnt sound to great for a band would it.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

And honestly the fractions are easy to work out as soon as you start working with them. Any amount of 32nd's or 16th's or whatever.. you just know off hand.

Oddly enough I always had a hard time reading metric micrometers.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

xpensive
xpensive

To my mind, these different systems are not really comparable, with SI-units everything comes together, Force eguals Mass times Accelleration and Power is always Force times Speed, you can twist it and turn it without multiplying-factors or loosing yourself with units and dimensions.

Hp equals lbf times ft/s, or psi times gpm, how the hell do you get that right?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

mep wrote:
I learned it like that and I double checked it here:
http://dict.leo.org/frde?lang=de&lp=frde
Sorry mep, the question was to autogyro regarding the statement of it originating from the establishment of the prime meridian :wink:

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

xpensive wrote:To my mind, these different systems are not really comparable, with SI-units everything comes together, Force eguals Mass times Accelleration and Power is always Force times Speed, you can twist it and turn it without multiplying-factors or loosing yourself with units and dimensions.

You just do it. Not that hard.

Watts = liters per second * bar of pressure too.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

xpensive
xpensive

Jersey Tom wrote:
xpensive wrote:To my mind, these different systems are not really comparable, with SI-units everything comes together, Force eguals Mass times Accelleration and Power is always Force times Speed, you can twist it and turn it without multiplying-factors or loosing yourself with units and dimensions.

:lol: It's not like that at all; Watts = m^3/s * Pa

Now please xplain how you get Hp = psi * gpm, without a funny factor of sorts?

Belatti
Belatti

And you are all forgetting about temperature. Water freezing and boiling points at normal atmosferical pressures are an easy and "decimal" way to measure temperature.

You know, if it rains and the temp is below 0°c you know its snow. Has more sense than saying "if the temp is below 32°f"...

Yesterday I took a flight and the captain said "we are travelling at 11.000 metres above the sea level" and you instantly know that the ground is 11 kilometres below, you get a feel of where are you. Now, when he translated that to English, well... 36,000 feet doesnt give me a clue.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

xpensive wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:

:lol: It's not like that at all; Watts = m^3/s * Pa

Now please xplain how you get Hp = psi * gpm, without a funny factor of sorts?
Without a constant of multiplication? Who cares! Just saying it's not a big deal.

Just like knowing there are 5280 feet in a mile, or 365 days in a year, or that Planck's constant is 6.626e-34 Joule, or that the yield stress of Cond N AISI4130 is about 60 ksi. It's easy. You know just know it. No need to make it more simple.

And I could just as easily say if a pilot tells me they're 11km above the ground.. I'd have no feel for what that means. Just the same as if someone tells me it's 25C out. Or that they're driving 90 kph.

gibells
gibells

Sheesh we are bored. Roll on next week!

xpensive
xpensive

Jersey Tom wrote: Without a constant of multiplication? Who cares! Just saying it's not a big deal.
In other words, you have no idea? But you see with SI-units you don't need one, which is the point here.

Btw, the Planck constant has the dimension of energy times time, SI unit is J*s.
Last edited by xpensive on 19 Aug 2010, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Belatti
Belatti

OK then, easy or not easy, its all just a matter of familiarize.

The problem is when you work in a country like mine, that has 50% imperial and 50% metric based technologies. You can see any workshop has both types of tools, and that represents more costs (tools are expensive) and confusion.

Still, for low torque applications you can tighten a 1/2" nut with a 13mm wrench :|
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

I did my schooling in Imperial & pocket money in £/s/d. Fortunately I delayed going to university & it had metricated by then (though a few books were in the quaint & archaic Imperial units).

What I fail to understand is why they did not re-name the kilogram when the standardized to SI. A kilo of everything is 1000 of the basic unit EXCEPT mass where the basic is the kilo. Stuffed the whole system up. I propose that Archimedes be honoured by re-naming the kilogram the Archi (his full neame is a bit long - what was his first name?). Alternatively Eurika.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes