Fully coloured tyre walls?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of fully coloured tyre walls?

Poll ended at 29 Jun 2011, 01:06

Great idea to differentiate the the different tyres.
38%
The current/old markings are/were fine.
22%
Fully coloured tyre walls will look hideous.
13%
I want every compound to have fully coloured walls in/ou.
8%
Just bin the silver tyre markings.
3%
Formula 1 cars are colourful enough. Keep them black!
10%
I don't care!
5%

Total votes: 60

FrukostScones

Re: Fully coloured tyre walls?

It seems to be rocket science! :

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94552

"I think we need to have a little bit of variety there and we need to improve the marking, certainly in the harder and medium compound with the silver and white," Hembery told AUTOSPORT.

:lol:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97169

OMG, they keep the silver for hard, and white for medium.
But the silver has been made so dark that it is clearly to distingish from the white...
Orange for the intermediate is dismissed and welcomed is the colour green.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

raymondu999

at speed; with the tyre rotating; the color will practically be black anyways
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

raymondu999 wrote:at speed; with the tyre rotating; the color will practically be black anyways
Actually not the walls are painted with bands which make the colours more significant when its on speed

Vale46
Vale46

These are the new tyre marks for 2012:
Supersoft-soft-medium-hard-wet-superwet
If you born poor, it's not your mistake
But if you die poor, it's your mistake
-Bill Gates-

Italiano
Italiano

Did Bridgestone patent their solution or something, since they just painted a green egde on the softer tyre of the weekend... and job done.

This is just solving problems that shouldn't have existed in the first place.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

I was surprised last year that they didn't go with green & blue for the rain tires. Nice to see they got it right this time.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

That grey tyre is still too close to the white, however they could be diffrent at speed.

Id have prefered Pirelli to have had 3 slick compounds and 2 wet compopunds.

Hard = Red
Medium = Yellow
Soft = White
Inters = Green
Wets = Blue

With each of the slick sets having a 0.6 to 0.8 of a second step wetween them, and a 7 to 10 lap duarability step between them all as well. Make the strategy guys think.

raymondu999

NonNewtonic wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:at speed; with the tyre rotating; the color will practically be black anyways
Actually not the walls are painted with bands which make the colours more significant when its on speed
I was replying Frukost's comment on the hardest dry tyre.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

ESPImperium wrote:That grey tyre is still too close to the white, however they could be diffrent at speed.

Hard = Red
Medium = Yellow
Soft = White
Inters = Green
Wets = Blue

With each of the slick sets having a 0.6 to 0.8 of a second step wetween them, and a 7 to 10 lap duarability step between them all as well. Make the strategy guys think.
Your version of "they could all be different" is "we could get rid of the super softs and then we wouldn't have a problem"... What surprises me though is that they don't use red, orange, yellow, white, for the various dry tyres.

jordangp

Why can't they just choose really bold contrasting colours? It would make things much easier for somebody colour blind like me :lol: Your idea beelsebob, would be terrible for me, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Pirelli's green and yellow would cause me problems, but luckily the Intermediate grooves will allow me to distinguish :)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

beelsebob wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:That grey tyre is still too close to the white, however they could be diffrent at speed.

Hard = Red
Medium = Yellow
Soft = White
Inters = Green
Wets = Blue

Your version of "they could all be different" is "we could get rid of the super softs and then we wouldn't have a problem"... What surprises me though is that they don't use red, orange, yellow, white, for the various dry tyres.
My version is get rid of the hards and then give each driver 5 soft, 4 medium and 4 hards for the weekend and see if they can make them last. With all entries having 1 set of softs set aside for a 5 minuite 1 run only Q3 where the Q3 guys have to start on that set in the race. Drivers that dont get into Q3 then have a fresh set to use in the race and gain an advantage.

Strategy gys would go absoutly mental at options, is it quicker to Q3 or not to Q3. Also drivers wouldnt be able to use a set of softs in Q1 as well, lets get the teams using every set like its their last. With my simulation ive found that 3 sets, where every set has to be used at the weekend, it will give each driver arround 875km of running every weekend. Plenty in reserve as drivers last year were doing 750km to 800km a weekend.

Also teams who put a FP1 driver in one of their cars then get a set of Softs given to that driver free, outside their allocation, for a little carrot and stick action.

3 stops is my target, only Spa is a 2 stopper, but in races tires will wear out, however the undercut is the ever present danger, do you go early and try and gain an extra advantage or wait it out and get that posistion back in the last few laps when your opponent has no useable rubber left?