[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 07:19
What I thought was interesting was how much most teams pushed to get as close as possible to the required cooling flow, getting values just slightly under the mark.
Preparing the result presentation on the page, I realized, we are now at 2.8 and not 3.0 m³/s anymore, so it was not that close after all. But looking at how much everybody complained about the 3, I want to see everybody at 2.8 for the next race.
So here is a full summary:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/results-mv ... tone-2023/
And here we have some CFD images:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images ... mvrc-2023/
What do you guys want to see for the next race? I am looking forward to either a y=0 slice or we look at the floors. Any preferences?

LVDH

Amazing progress, we now also have a team section: https://mantiumchallenge.com/teams-2023/

CAEdevice

Thanks, good job!

I think that the column with rake parameter is missing and what about power coefficients above 1?

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 14:27
Thanks, good job!

I think that the column with rake parameter is missing
I agree, I might update it for this race, it should be there in the next one.
In the first race, only one or two teams went for a few tenths of rake, I think in this one, we only have teams lowering the car as far as possible, if my memory serves me right.

CAEdevice wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 14:27
and what about power coefficients above 1?
Good question, I should fix it in the tables. pretty sure Max' laptime simulation tool will not use values above one.

spacehead3

LVDH wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 14:40
Good question, I should fix it in the tables. pretty sure Max' laptime simulation tool will not use values above one.
Correct
Max Taylor

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 11:20
LVDH wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 07:19
What I thought was interesting was how much most teams pushed to get as close as possible to the required cooling flow, getting values just slightly under the mark.
Preparing the result presentation on the page, I realized, we are now at 2.8 and not 3.0 m³/s anymore, so it was not that close after all. But looking at how much everybody complained about the 3, I want to see everybody at 2.8 for the next race.
So here is a full summary:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/results-mv ... tone-2023/
And here we have some CFD images:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... images.gif
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images ... mvrc-2023/
What do you guys want to see for the next race? I am looking forward to either a y=0 slice or we look at the floors. Any preferences?
I've just spent some time looking at the results package and I've noticed that a fairly important part of my car (front lower deflector) wasn't run as a part of the simulation for my car even though it was present in the submission (I have checked the .zip file I submitted as it was still on my drive)

It's a considerable performance driver so I don't think it's unfair to ask for a re-run of my package for R02?
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

yinlad wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:49
I've just spent some time looking at the results package and I've noticed that a fairly important part of my car (front lower deflector) wasn't run as a part of the simulation for my car even though it was present in the submission (I have checked the .zip file I submitted as it was still on my drive)

It's a considerable performance driver so I don't think it's unfair to ask for a re-run of my package for R02?
Sounds like a valid request to me. I will have to check.

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 15:58
LVDH wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 14:40
Correct
Hi have a question for Max.

Does the simulation consider the DRS effect? How is it calculated (e.g. by proportionally reducing the drag of the rear wing only?). The online utility does not use DRS, so how can we do a "fine tuning"?

spacehead3

CAEdevice wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 11:11
Does the simulation consider the DRS effect? How is it calculated (e.g. by proportionally reducing the drag of the rear wing only?). The online utility does not use DRS, so how can we do a "fine tuning"?
For this year I have turned the DRS off. The only difference between the online tool and the official lapsim is that the online version is a regression. Last year it was just a modifier to the total car CD. I'm open to suggestions if we want to try and add it back in next year.

Maybe I can convince Andre to run a full DRS, ride height, etc map with the winning car. Would be fun to see the difference.
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 14:15
For this year I have turned the DRS off. The only difference between the online tool and the official lapsim is that the online version is a regression. Last year it was just a modifier to the total car CD. I'm open to suggestions if we want to try and add it back in next year.
I agree. Thanks.
spacehead3 wrote:
Maybe I can convince Andre to run a full DRS, ride height, etc map with the winning car. Would be fun to see the difference.
I am conviced that we should run a single standard simulation for all the cars and a final "super pole" simulation (including DRS, ride height, brakes cooling, putch and roll) only for the three/five top teams to define the final classification and points.

LVDH

yinlad wrote:

I checked the submission and could not find the missing part in it. Maybe you can point out a bit better what detail seems to be missing. You are Pathera, right?

spacehead3 wrote:
I like the idea, I might be able to get this ready before the next race. But it is a big "might". Probably we can do this after the season when things cool off a lot.

CAEdevice wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 15:08
I am conviced that we should run a single standard simulation for all the cars and a final "super pole" simulation (including DRS, ride height, brakes cooling, putch and roll) only for the three/five top teams to define the final classification and points.
While currently a bit unrealistic, I am doing something in the background that might enable this for the future. It would be super cool. But keep in mind, the top teams would have to incorporate that into their development as well, which might be an issue...

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 17:19
yinlad wrote:

I checked the submission and could not find the missing part in it. Maybe you can point out a bit better what detail seems to be missing. You are Pathera, right?
That's correct, the part in the frt_suspension folder, so the front wheel deflector volume, doesn't appear in any of the post processing images.
MVRC - Panthera

spacehead3

LVDH wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 17:19
I like the idea, I might be able to get this ready before the next race. But it is a big "might". Probably we can do this after the season when things cool off a lot.
CAEdevice wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 15:08
While currently a bit unrealistic, I am doing something in the background that might enable this for the future. It would be super cool. But keep in mind, the top teams would have to incorporate that into their development as well, which might be an issue...
Yeah, I don't know that it should count for points since it will be essentially random unless the teams spend a lot of time designing for it. But maybe we can do it just for fun with the top 3 in the championship at the end of the season.
Max Taylor

LVDH

yinlad wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 17:47
That's correct, the part in the frt_suspension folder, so the front wheel deflector volume, doesn't appear in any of the post processing images.
I am not sure I understand your answer. Please make a screenshot or something.

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 18:47
yinlad wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 17:47
I am not sure I understand your answer. Please make a screenshot or something.

Left is expected, right is official post processing. The missing file with regard to the entry .zip file is
Panthera_R02_v1\frt_suspension\defl003.stl
MVRC - Panthera