Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Red Bull RB19

I located a picture from last year, so the pins are new:

Henk_v
Henk_v

ringo wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 03:41
Henk_v wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 23:59
ringo wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 22:22

Maybe you are confusing ... for mechanical reasons why they are selected.
I design heat exchangers for a living. I hope I'm not confused...

..(allthough I realise that is quite an hypothesis)
Well in reality in the feild. Fins are more efficient. ... bare surface is sufficient.
Well if you insist on warping my words and take away the nuances I put in my post I'm higly unmotivated to argue. Let's just say you are very very right as fossil industries have always been and move on....

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

There is a fairly basic formula for horsepower (heat) versus fin area (surface area) that applies to aircooled engines and the pin area shown would produce a siezed engine. there are gurus in here that can equate brake heat to Kw

Stu

As interesting as the above is, many of the above posts belong in the general aerodynamics thread - yet another thread dragged off topic!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Feel free to moderate it away. I personally thought It was relevant, but it derailed quickly.

Stu

Henk_v wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 09:01
Feel free to moderate it away. I personally thought It was relevant, but it derailed quickly.
First few posts were very relevant, all posts will stay in place.

Personally I think that way to look at it is that there are now pins where previously it was a continuous surface; we don’t know how tightly the drum fits to the calliper; we don’t know what the inner surface of the drum looks like in that area. Would it be a feature if it wasn’t an improvement? Unlikely. Can others readily copy the idea? Yes, but cost-cap!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 00:34
I do not like where this is going :lol:

I was fascinated by this grid:

https://i.postimg.cc/cLN8yfJc/image.png

I suspect RB has done a thorough analysis of this behaviour and the optimization of the spacing and pin shape. These circular rods seem to have the most cooling performance.

https://i.postimg.cc/kDPDCd75/image.png
You learn something new every day :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

iHill
iHill

Over the floor entrance under the sidepod inlet they puts the same dynamic structure that Mercedes have on the wishbones cover.

organic

Double t-tray has been there since imola '22. It's not similar to merc's downwashing suspension shrouding & most teams on the grid have had similar bodywork on the keel for a long time

Stu

organic wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 09:33
Double t-tray has been there since imola '22. It's not similar to merc's downwashing suspension shrouding & most teams on the grid have had similar bodywork on the keel for a long time
It also looks as though there is a second edge just underneath the rear of it.

organic

Stu wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 09:37
organic wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 09:33
It also looks as though there is a second edge just underneath the rear of it.
I thought that at first but It's just the edge of the panel not being flush. They've bolted on both the t-trays separately presumably so the shape can be modified more easily independently and it leads to all of the extra edges that are visible
Last edited by organic on 03 Mar 2023, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

iHill
iHill

I mean this area

Stu

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 09:14
AR3-GP wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 00:34
I do not like where this is going :lol:

I was fascinated by this grid:

https://i.postimg.cc/cLN8yfJc/image.png

I suspect RB has done a thorough analysis of this behaviour and the optimization of the spacing and pin shape. These circular rods seem to have the most cooling performance.

https://i.postimg.cc/kDPDCd75/image.png
You learn something new every day :D

Looking again, there are threaded holes in the perimeter of the calliper body, which suggests an outer casing; so these pin structures are internal.
I might be seeing things but some of them look to have ‘shape’, as though they are controlling the direction of airflow with the cavity.
These also appear in this image of the RB18 calliper…

organic

:mrgreen:

Almost none of the louvres open, interesting

ringo

iHill wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 09:40
I mean this area
https://i.postimg.cc/fTjvdq4b/Fq-PCTFXX0-AISc-JG.png
Maybe its playing tricks on my eyes, but it almost seems concave and not a bump?
For Sure!!