2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

Just before that the Rosberg Hamilton move Spain 2016. Max did VERY good to survive that on wet grass and to then be forceful in the next corner is imho totally understandable.

Willy
Willy

Close finish. =D>

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 17:25
CaribouBread wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 17:14
That shot of Max's rear tyres in parc ferme, they look barely worn! The tyre management is something else.
That was a remarkable sight. However, it could give them grief with the cooler conditions tomorrow.

Tomorrow has to be warmer as far as I’m aware. No risk of rain

ringo

Artur Craft wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 16:37
I was never a fan of Hulkenberg but this year his speed is something I never saw even on champions like Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Rosberg. The guy seems like prime Alonso, constantly putting way inferior machinery where it doesn´t belong :o
Hulk has always been a qualifying monster, he just fades away in the races and doesn't have great race awareness.

Sprint race was exciting. I did not like the Max move to push Perez off the track, but because both are dirty drivers I guess there's no empathy for Perez in this situation.
Saiz is looking more and more like the better championship driver for Ferrari. Leclerc just makes too many errors. Fast guy but in this race he struggled too much against the Alpine. Hamilton gracefully slithered through after managing his tyres and calculating the different lines to get past with the least stress. Leclerc just too aggressive.
Noris is very underrated, but today he lost his chance to show how good he is. I hope he gets a good starting position and has a clean race at Silverstone.
For Sure!!

Sieper

ringo wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 18:09
Artur Craft wrote:
I was never a fan of Hulkenberg but this year his speed is something I never saw even on champions like Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Rosberg. The guy seems like prime Alonso, constantly putting way inferior machinery where it doesn´t belong :o
Hulk has always been a qualifying monster, he just fades away in the races and doesn't have great race awareness.

Sprint race was exciting. I did not like the Max move to push Perez off the track, but because both are dirty drivers I guess there's no empathy for Perez in this situation.
Saiz is looking more and more like the better championship driver for Ferrari. Leclerc just makes too many errors. Fast guy but in this race he struggled too much against the Alpine. Hamilton gracefully slithered through after managing his tyres and calculating the different lines to get past with the least stress. Leclerc just too aggressive.
Noris is very underrated, but today he lost his chance to show how good he is. I hope he gets a good starting position and has a clean race at Silverstone.
Doesn’t he? Or is his car just not good enough (on the tires). Hul hás to ask more of his tires to keep up too. Did very well (had to too ofc) to go to the yellows early(ish) and used them great as well.

Big Tea

I thought a better race before allowing DRS. Could DRS be part of the problem (in normal races) not the answer?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Big Tea wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 18:29
I thought a better race before allowing DRS. Could DRS be part of the problem (in normal races) not the answer?
I also agree. The race was much more interesting when DRS was disabled.
A lion must kill its prey.

falonso81

Maybe FIA can swap sprint weekends with no drs weekends. :mrgreen:

Willy
Willy

Strong move by Perez.

Sieper

Big Tea wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 18:29
In this race, yes. The DRS here is quite powerfull anyway and lots of cars were still out of position. In the drying it is perhaps better to leave it alone. But normally, imho we need DRS.

Willy
Willy

Onboard of the incident.

langedweil

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 17:52
AR3-GP wrote:
CaribouBread wrote:
That shot of Max's rear tyres in parc ferme, they look barely worn! The tyre management is something else.
That was a remarkable sight. However, it could give them grief with the cooler conditions tomorrow.
You're not really objective as someone in the stands 😎
I'd like a 5mins proper splash half way the race .. that would give us more like today.
HuggaWugga !

vorticism

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 17:52
AR3-GP wrote:
CaribouBread wrote:

How's the visit been so far?
𓄀

ringo

Sieper wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 18:26
ringo wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 18:09
Artur Craft wrote:

Doesn’t he? Or is his car just not good enough (on the tires). Hul hás to ask more of his tires to keep up too. Did very well (had to too ofc) to go to the yellows early(ish) and used them great as well.
If you follow his whole career, from his Williams days till now, he just doesn't have the whole race in his head like some guys like Perez, Alonso, even Ocon. Even looking at his teammates in the past. He just so happens to be the guy who has zero podiums even amongst guys he clearly is faster than. It's not coincidence or bad luck.
So yes today he ran out of tyres, but on a broader viewpoint, he normally just doesn't manage a race quite well. Maybe his setups are very biased to giving him the best feel for fastest laps, or he just doesn't know how to drive slow if that makes sense.

What stood out today was how close the cars are. A williams, a Haas, a mclaren, an alpine, an Alfa romeo were not walk overs for top cars like Ferrari and Mercedes. The only weak one is the Toro Roso. If everyone catches up to redbull the races should be exciting in the future.
For Sure!!

vorticism

ringo wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 20:29
If everyone catches up to redbull the races should be exciting in the future.
Exciting in the sense of a top team being hamstrung by parity regulations, yes, very exciting; who wouldn't want that? Oh, what might have been 2014-2020, what excitement could have been had if a benevolent bureacracy had brought fair equity to that grim era. Oh, had the bureau held the hand of all the teams, and not only one, eight seasons of excitement could have been had. :-({|=
𓄀