Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

What I don't get is why didn't McLaren reduce Jenson's downforce level slightly and get a 340k top speed as most others were.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

marcush. wrote:did I miss something there Hamilton did drive without F-duct in monza ,did he? (even thohgh his race did not last very long ).
He raced without F-duct Marcus.
raymondu999 wrote:What I don't get is why didn't McLaren reduce Jenson's downforce level slightly and get a 340k top speed as most others were.
Button was racing with a different front wing at Spa, what was the difference between Spa version and Monza version?

Alonso was doing 339.4 km/h while Button was doing 329.3
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PNSD
PNSD

Button in 2007 proved top speed isnt exactly king at Monza.

I remember his RA107 being bottom of the speed trap, yet he raced to a very good 8th place. If you consider the car he drove it was one of his best races that year imo. And those who can remember will also remember the battle with Nico Rosberg which lasted a couple of laps.

At Spa Button had the latest front wing whilst Lewis reverted back to an older spec. I dont know what the performance difference was, but Lewis was a good chuck quicker than Jenson in S2 all weekend.

ringo

It's also down to Jenson's preference not what Mclaren sees as optimal.
He probably likes to car to be very planted and predictable. He can only get this at Monza with respectable downforce.
His setup was also to help in qualifying, he suffers from not getting the tyres up to temperature, so his high DF setup was to counter that.
For Sure!!

kalinka
kalinka

Maybe this high DF setup was the key to loose the first place, because he had so mutch more DF that his tyres hardly reach their temp ? Also their stiff setup didn't help there probably.

Button after the race :

"Maybe it was the wrong call to pit when we did, but the team felt the new Prime tyres were faster than the Options. But I couldn't find any grip on the new tyres, and lost a little bit of time on them. When I saw Fernando emerge just of me, I was very disappointed."

raymondu999

I thought DF generally helped to heat the tyres to their working temps, but not wear them down, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kalinka
kalinka

raymondu999 wrote:I thought DF generally helped to heat the tyres to their working temps, but not wear them down, no?
But if you slide much less because of the high DF, and you consider Jenson's smooth style , and hard tyres, it's maybe just not enough to heat them up.. Monza actually has a fewest corners to make your theory work. Maybe it's true on a more conventional track, but not in Monza, where you have more independent effects working against it...? Actually I think you're right, but maybe it's a different story in Monza...?

ringo

Button always has excuses. His car was more suited to warming the tyres, he could brake later and with more force. He also could go through turns at higher g's.
The thing about the hard tyres after the pits always happens on the outlap, after that, they Hard tyre was faster than the soft.
Both Alonso and Felipe had the same experience on the outlap.

Being the cunning driver that he is, button's intention was to get the car to qualify better than Hamilton's. The only way to do this is to run higher downforce than his teammate. This helps get the temperatures in quicker on the qualy laps.

His car was capable of winning, but by a narrow margin. He fell bellow the threshold of speed required to win with his setup.
The car maybe would have done better with a little less downforce, albeit a more looser behavior. But jenson doesn't want to fight the car.. so what can the team do but make him comfortable.

For singapore now, i think a new floor with more bounded diffuser openings is on the cards. let's see how they fix the hard ride.
For Sure!!

NaZzO

Changes in the McLaren MP4-25 in Belgium:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... cu9FjSYYSQ
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

You know that was a feature on this very website... Its not updates at spa either.

http://www.f1technical.net/features/15369

ell66
ell66

Confused_Andy wrote:You know that was a feature on this very website... Its not updates at spa either.

http://www.f1technical.net/features/15369
noit wasnt, look at it. no mention of the spa updates on this sites link.

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Correct, but the site above my link has just used the imagery from this site and said that they were spa updates even though they are not...

NaZzO

Confused_Andy wrote:Correct, but the site above my link has just used the imagery from this site and said that they were spa updates even though they are not...
Both links are from the same reliable author. He does not confuse easily :) (pardon the pun)
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

747heavy

I´m not sure if this wing on the left would be legal in 2010, as it shows three elements?

and I´m under the impression that you are only allowed a two element wing in 2010.
I´m wrong?
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

deus1066
deus1066

747heavy wrote:I´m not sure if this wing on the left would be legal in 2010, as it shows three elements?

and I´m under the impression that you are only allowed a two element wing in 2010.
I´m wrong?
You're quite right, you're not allowed more than 2 closed sections in the rear wing (except the central exclusion area). The picture shouldn't show daylight flowing through one of the slots, as actually from the front the wing is only 2 parts and ventilates the extra slot gap through slots in the lower part of the wing. See photos of this, and possibly last years, Mclarens at Monaco to see what I mean.