Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

US GP - Thursday

Image[/img]
Last edited by Hail22 on 24 Oct 2015, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

bigblue

Don't know much about these things, so maybe this is well known, but, what's the bolt-in panel in the middle of the upper surface of the front wing for ?

Thunder

Finally, called it after Malaysia already that McLaren will tighten up the Bodywork around the Exhaust with the RW Support they introduced there. :lol: Now i can sleep well. Thanks PP. :D

Really impressive what amount of Updated McLaren is pumping out.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Thunder

bigblue wrote:Don't know much about these things, so maybe this is well known, but, what's the bolt-in panel in the middle of the upper surface of the front wing for ?

That's where the Teams put the Ballast Weight.

Edit: and many more Pictures.
Open in new Tab for bigger Version
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bigblue

Aha. I thought it might be ballast, but thought it was too small to get any appreciable weight so thought not in the end. I'm curious, does anyone know how much they can add there ?

turbof1

bigblue wrote:Aha. I thought it might be ballast, but thought it was too small to get any appreciable weight so thought not in the end. I'm curious, does anyone know how much they can add there ?
Quite a few kilo's actually. I think they use very heavy metals like tungsten or wolfram.
#AeroFrodo

R_Redding
R_Redding

turbof1 wrote: Quite a few kilo's actually. I think they use very heavy metals like tungsten or wolfram.
Tungsten is Wolfram .. Wolfram is the "Ye olde name" .. as the main ore Tungsten is extracted from is called Wolframite.

Rob

Postmoe

They couldn't afford iridium? Cheap...

Mattchu

Fair play to McLaren for the Aero updates but boy they haven`t half cribbed Mercedes and Ferarris work! I understand teams pretty much always copy each others work (especially if it works), it`s shame that innovation is extremely difficult under the current regulations because McLaren used to come up with some really neat ideas.
Soon we`re going to have all the cars looking pretty much identical (short stub nose/swoopy batwing) apart from the colour/decals!

Anyone any idea why they might have to 2 square holes either side of where the wing itself joins the nose? I`d have thought this would disrupt the airflow where you would want a nice clean stream going through...

PlatinumZealot

mclaren111 wrote:Extreme angle on Exhaust & tight Bodywork around Exhaust now:

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 903801.jpg

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

Mattchu wrote:Fair play to McLaren for the Aero updates but boy they haven`t half cribbed Mercedes and Ferarris work! I understand teams pretty much always copy each others work (especially if it works), it`s shame that innovation is extremely difficult under the current regulations because McLaren used to come up with some really neat ideas.
Soon we`re going to have all the cars looking pretty much identical (short stub nose/swoopy batwing) apart from the colour/decals!

Anyone any idea why they might have to 2 square holes either side of where the wing itself joins the nose? I`d have thought this would disrupt the airflow where you would want a nice clean stream going through...
The square holes will be covered.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

ojlopez
ojlopez

mclaren111 wrote:Extreme angle on Exhaust & tight Bodywork around Exhaust now:

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 903801.jpg
Are they trying to stall the rear wing with the exhaust at full throttle?

Andres125sx

Does anyone know if the aero updates will be used in both cars?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Andres125sx wrote:Does anyone know if the aero updates will be used in both cars?
Only ALO....but he is slow so far...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Andres125sx

8 tenths faster than Button on first stint is not slow if you ask me