2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 18:00
organic wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 17:32
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 17:27

It doesn't mean he will take a penalty. He took a new 4th gearbox this weekend but he still has others in the pool that he can revert to.
Might be worth taking one here however. Should be the worst track of the year for the sf23
I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint their worst track. It could easily be Austin, Suzuka, or Qatar.

This could change if there are upgrades that impact the issues.
The way I see it, the more rear limited and the lower downforce the track is, the better the car does.

Tracks with high dwf and front limitation are the worst for this car. Because they cannot get a good balance when more downforce is required

Good tracks for Ferrari so far: Bahrain, Baku, Monaco, Montreal, Austria, Spa

Bad tracks:

Saudi, Australia, Spain, Silverstone, Hungary, Zandvoort

There's a very clear split with front/rear limitation. And the car has looked its best in lower downforce trim

And here's leclerc's car. Damage is visually light to be honest. Floor might have gotten away unscathed. These cars are tanks

Xyz22
Xyz22

Think the drivers did an excellent job till Q3. Bringing that car into the top 10 was almost a masterpiece.

Leclerc keeps not accepting the huge limitations of this car. I don't even think he was in total over driving, just brought a tiny bit more speed into the corner and the understeer was out of this world. The footage is actually embarrassing. His mistake though.

gshevlin
gshevlin

The wet/damp conditions today made the car's handling even worse. When you keep going straight on at Turn 1 because the front end will not grip, that's a big handling and set-up challenge and a real impediment to setting even a reasonable qualifying lap.
Carlos is more level-headed when the car does not do exactly what he wants, probably because the car has rarely done exactly what he wants for 2 seasons now. Charles OTOH gets rattled more easily. He sounded extremely rattled at the end of Q1, after just getting into Q2. I think he tried to compensate for the poor handling by over-driving elsewhere on the track, hence the accident in Q3.
The car has a fundamental handling imbalance which is masked by low downforce circuits, and magnified at high downforce circuits.

Xyz22
Xyz22

gshevlin wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 18:58
The wet/damp conditions today made the car's handling even worse. When you keep going straight on at Turn 1 because the front end will not grip, that's a big handling and set-up challenge and a real impediment to setting even a reasonable qualifying lap.
Carlos is more level-headed when the car does not do exactly what he wants, probably because the car has rarely done exactly what he wants for 2 seasons now. Charles OTOH gets rattled more easily. He sounded extremely rattled at the end of Q1, after just getting into Q2. I think he tried to compensate for the poor handling by over-driving elsewhere on the track, hence the accident in Q3.
The car has a fundamental handling imbalance which is masked by low downforce circuits, and magnified at high downforce circuits.
The raw speed car of the car wasn't even that awful. The handling though was simply terrible. Leclerc said that it was impossible to predict if the car was going to have a lot of understeer or no understeer.

Leclerc was on a good lap before the crash no? Think P5-P6 was possible or something like that.

gshevlin
gshevlin

I think that P6 was about the best that either driver could have hoped for. The car has looked horrible to drive all weekend, from the first moment they took to the track on Friday. When your test driver tells you after P1 that this is the worst car he has ever driven, you have a fundamental problem.

AriaanGert
AriaanGert

Charles was purple in sector 1 when crashed in turn9. That is a strange place to lose it. There is a lot of space to correct there. You have to really go way too fast. Unnecessary also because there is a trade off with the entrance of 10.
He was simply too fast. Looks like he can’t accept the limits of the car.

organic

https://formu1a.uno/ferrari-sostituisce ... i-leclerc/
Ferrari replaces gearbox and chassis on Leclerc's SF-23
Charles Leclerc qualified ninth and following his crash tomorrow his SF-23 will be fitted with the spare chassis , replacing the one he raced with today. The gearbox will also be replaced but at the time of writing it is unclear whether a new gearbox or a pool member will be fitted. In any case, a decision that shouldn't be underestimated given the importance of the next weekend at Monza for Ferrari.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AriaanGert wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:29
Charles was purple in sector 1 when crashed in turn9. That is a strange place to lose it. There is a lot of space to correct there. You have to really go way too fast. Unnecessary also because there is a trade off with the entrance of 10.
The crazy thing is that he wasn't massively faster

It's like he didn't expect the understeer to be this bad which is why he said later that with this car you really don't know what is going to happen. But yeah, clearly he still can't accept the car limitation and that has its pro and contro. Some amazing laps despite cars that shouldn't be able to do that and some costly mistakes.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 26 Aug 2023, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

scuderiabrandon

AriaanGert wrote:
He has mentioned that he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary in that corner the car just didn't comply. Have a look at the onboards for both drivers, the balance was off from the first minute in FP1. Schwartzman saying its the most difficult car he has ever driven from 1 practice session whilst the car was turned down. That says a lot to me, I knew it was difficult but this gives me a new perspective for this season. Let's cut the drivers some slack.

Inferior machinery let him push and give us a surprise result in a season that ultimately doesn't count for anything anymore. If we were contenders, different story.

He can drive around and 90% all weekend, give us the expected result and learn absolutely nothing from the car and from himself as a drivers. The mistakes are a crucial component to refining your craft.
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 26 Aug 2023, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

scuderiabrandon wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 20:16
AriaanGert wrote:
He has mentioned that he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary in that corner the car just didn't comply. Have a look at the onboards for both drivers, the balance was off from the first minute in FP1. Schwartzman saying its the most difficult car he has ever driven from 1 practice session whilst the car was turned down. That says a lot to me, I knew it was difficult but this gives me a new perspective for this season. Let's cut the drivers some slack.

Inferior machinery let him push and give us a surprise result in a season that ultimately doesn't count for anything anymore. If we were contenders, different story.
As i said earlier i legit think Leclerc and Sainz pulled off a massive miracle in getting into Q3.

As you noted the balance of the car was completely all over the place. Reminded me of the SF 1000 at Monza.

gshevlin
gshevlin

If Leclerc is going to be starting from way back on the grid because of the new gearbox and chassis, Ferrari can start him from the pitlane and try set-up changes. That might be their only chance of a decent result.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

@dialtone, any thoughts on Sainz's non-penalty today? :wink:

Let us remember this moment :lol: .

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:@dialtone, any thoughts on Sainz's non-penalty today? :wink:

Honestly haven’t watched except for q3. Given they are crap here they should given them penalties, all of them, but instead they wait when they are competitive. :)

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 21:32
AR3-GP wrote:@dialtone, any thoughts on Sainz's non-penalty today? :wink:

Honestly haven’t watched except for q3. Given they are crap here they should given them penalties, all of them, but instead they wait when they are competitive. :)
well played :wink: :lol:

deadhead

scuderiabrandon wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 20:16
AriaanGert wrote:

He can drive around and 90% all weekend, give us the expected result and learn absolutely nothing from the car and from himself as a drivers. The mistakes are a crucial component to refining your craft.
Yeah, I haven't really looked it LECs performance from that perspective... it makes sense but also these mistakes are costing $$