2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Waz wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 22:21
Like I said, all that flexi data from last year is useful again. Quicker than expected if true, but not entirely surprised they could bring a new wing so soon.

Here's hoping to a decent top 5 fight.
I don't get the TD from 2023, what was it TD078, has been removed?

organic

diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 00:19
Waz wrote:
Like I said, all that flexi data from last year is useful again. Quicker than expected if true, but not entirely surprised they could bring a new wing so soon.

It was TD018. And the guidance for flexible front wings has essentially completely shifted for 2024 compared to last year. Last year they tried to heavily police it now it seems that you are free to play in this region more

diffuser

organic wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 00:22
diffuser wrote:
Waz wrote:

It was TD018. And the guidance for flexible front wings has essentially completely shifted for 2024 compared to last year. Last year they tried to heavily police it now it seems that you are free to play in this region more
Wow, only one team was really doing it in 2023. Arguably the FIA sent AMR into a tail spin. Now they reverse their ---. I really dislike when they make changes in-season.

Emag
Emag

diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 02:18
organic wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Wow, only one team was really doing it in 2023. Arguably the FIA sent AMR into a tail spin. Now they reverse their ---. I really dislike when they make changes in-season.
By the time TD018 was enforced, Aston Martin was already in a struggle for a couple of races. I think the effect of the flexing-wings is overstated on the Aston Martin. It's far from being their biggest problem. You don't go from fighting for podiums to barely making it out of Q1 just because of that.

Even if we assume it did, then Aston Martin should have been up there with Mercedes this season since the FIA is seemingly more lenient about this sort of thing in 2024.

Everything that AM has done in the past year or so just shows that their problems run deep and are tied down to their understanding of both the regulations and the car they have developed. It is the only team this year, which relatively speaking, has regressed from the start of the season. They at least had a really good car over one lap, but their upgrades took away even the strengths the car had. There's clearly bigger problems there.

Ferrari got hit by an even more devastating technical directive back in 2022 and they didn't fall off as hard as AM has fallen.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Luscion wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 11:07

FNTC
FNTC

Quick fix for more flex on the existing front wing before the real upgrades or something?

organic

Emag wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 10:03
diffuser wrote:
organic wrote:

By the time TD018 was enforced, Aston Martin was already in a struggle for a couple of races. I think the effect of the flexing-wings is overstated on the Aston Martin. It's far from being their biggest problem. You don't go from fighting for podiums to barely making it out of Q1 just because of that.
TD018 came in at Singapore properly but AMR had already been told to remove their Flexi wing at Barcelona earlier in the year. That's precisely when everything went wrong in terms of performance and car balance

Emag
Emag

organic wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 11:38
Emag wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 10:03
diffuser wrote:

TD018 came in at Singapore properly but AMR had already been told to remove their Flexi wing at Barcelona earlier in the year. That's precisely when everything went wrong in terms of performance and car balance
Aston Martin was still really fast in Canada, just one race later. The timeline since 2023 just suggest poor understanding on their part. The flexi-wings are being used as an excuse by people here.

Nothing from the team even suggest any technical directives as being the main reason behind their big slump.

peewon

Canada doesn't have long curves. It's mostly slow corners and straights. That's why AM was competitive there.

There is only one team whose innovations never get banned immediately. No matter how much they violate the spirit of the regulations. They always seem to have pre approval for their innovations. That's the team that's using flexy wings now so obviously FIA will approve it now.

FIA went against their own regulations and made racing worse because 1 team couldn't control their porpoising.

This teams drivers also never get penalized and their Team Principal has confidential FIA information before it's been made public.

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 12:00
Canada doesn't have long curves. It's mostly slow corners and straights. That's why AM was competitive there.

There is only one team whose innovations never get banned immediately. No matter how much they violate the spirit of the regulations. They always seem to have pre approval for their innovations. That's the team that's using flexy wings now so obviously FIA will approve it now.

FIA went against their own regulations and made racing worse because 1 team couldn't control their porpoising.

This teams drivers also never get penalized and their Team Principal has confidential FIA information before it's been made public.
You cracked the Mercedes code! Or should I say Kracked :wink:

Big Gun
Big Gun

I read somewhere that Toto Wolf wanted to sign Alonso to Merc for 2025 on a 1 + 1 deal............ is it too late?

N3mest
N3mest

There it talks about changing the shape of the wing, that is, it is more twisted, it doesn't mean that it twists more, right?

SSJ4
SSJ4

Big Gun wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 12:47
I read somewhere that Toto Wolf wanted to sign Alonso to Merc for 2025 on a 1 + 1 deal............ is it too late?
would have been 1 year only then antonelli in the year after imo.
do we think the front wing change is more flex or is that expected in hungary?

Nikosar
Nikosar

Somehow the TD018 and TD039 does not apply to Red Bull during 2023.... and in 2024 Ferrari followed Red Bull but the FIA cannot go against Ferrari and Red Bull.... so they let now other team work with the flex wing

KimiRai
KimiRai

De la Rosa on the new parts:
It's not an improvement or what you call a leap forward, just for this kind of circuit and this kind of fast corner and with the kind of downforce that is needed here it's better. It is not an upgrade as such, it is something very specific for when you use this level of downforce.
When asked about the issue with the current car:
The team is working in the wind tunnel on a very precise area because that's really what has to help us. We know what the problem is, we know what the diagnosis is.