2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

rogazilla wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 21:34
Can McLaren ask for the new Merc Engine to make sure Lando Beat LeClerc?
They can… The question is, are they willing to spend 10+ million for an engine to help Lando get P5 in the WDC? I most definitely wouldn’t.

SiLo

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:16
rogazilla wrote:
They can… The question is, are they willing to spend 10+ million for an engine to help Lando get P5 in the WDC? I most definitely wouldn’t.
They can't be charged like that for another.
Felipe Baby!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

SiLo wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:18
SmallSoldier wrote:
rogazilla wrote:
They would have to pay for another engine if they just want one for the sake of a performance upgrade (not for reliability reasons)… Mercedes doesn’t have to supply the customer teams with as many engines as they want.

On the number itself… If it is only the ICE, it would be less… But I doubt it would be less than 5 million for it… I still wouldn’t :)

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

SiLo wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:12
Mercedes on the radio said "corners very good" so it indicates they are aware that any time they are currently losing is down the straights.
That was to Bottas right?

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:25
SiLo wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

They would have to pay for another engine if they just want one for the sake of a performance upgrade (not for reliability reasons)… Mercedes doesn’t have to supply the customer teams with as many engines as they want.

On the number itself… If it is only the ICE, it would be less… But I doubt it would be less than 5 million for it… I still wouldn’t :)
They will have 2 spare engines at the track anyway, so they could easily swap them over and if there is an issue, revert to the older used engine. I doubt they will need to spend any money at all to use a new engine.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

TNTHead

pantherxxx wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 16:48
SiLo wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 16:41
The race pace times were confusing, unless Merc had engine almost off and the car was full of fuel. I think the quali laps are more representative of the ultimate pace of the cars.
I think the race pace times are more representative. Red Bull and Merc are very close, and way ahead of Ferrari and Alpine.
Whats is a typical laptime offset between Qualy sim and race sim? The mercs seemed to have tuned down the engine heavily, and fuel levels are unknown. And then we also have not a representative time of the day/track temperature. If temps during qualy are lower the engine can be turned up more.

NathanOlder

kenshi_blind wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 16:26
Heard Jenson saying Mercedes turned up the engine for one lap in the long runs and it was impressive , anybody knows what he's referring to ?
Lewis did a 1.24.1 on the mediums at one point. Maybe that was the lap.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jambier

Don't be fooled, Mercedes is hiding it and the real engine is not on the car yet.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:30
SmallSoldier wrote:
SiLo wrote:

They will have 2 spare engines at the track anyway, so they could easily swap them over and if there is an issue, revert to the older used engine. I doubt they will need to spend any money at all to use a new engine.
To request Mercedes a new engine (beyond the ones they have in the pool) would imply them paying for the engine.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:39
kenshi_blind wrote:
Heard Jenson saying Mercedes turned up the engine for one lap in the long runs and it was impressive , anybody knows what he's referring to ?
24.1? While he was on the stint? Not possible.

SiLo

Tvetovnato wrote:
SiLo wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:12
Mercedes on the radio said "corners very good" so it indicates they are aware that any time they are currently losing is down the straights.
That was to Bottas right?
Correct
Felipe Baby!

Phil

Looks like RedBull going aggressive and possibly hinting at a 2-stop race, starting on softs for a better get-away. Mercedes maybe trying to figure out if they can make a 1-stop work.

Whoever is leading on lap 1 IMO will control the narrative. Mercedes might have slightly better options if they have the quicker car, meaning if RedBull goes short and for a definitive two stop, could still try to make a one stop work. If Hamilton/Mercedes lead by lap 1, I think they control the narrative. If Bottas is inbetween them, he will be a great buffer so that they can simply copy everything Max does and still retain the lead. Hamilton doesn't even have to win this race, he just has to finish ahead of Max, ideally in the top 7 I think to nullify the fastest lap point.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:47
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

To request Mercedes a new engine (beyond the ones they have in the pool) would imply them paying for the engine.
Unless the spares are bought and paid for in which case they can do with them as they please.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

NathanOlder

Bill_Kar wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:47
NathanOlder wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:39
kenshi_blind wrote:
24.1? While he was on the stint? Not possible.
His first run in the session was on mediums, he set that time on the 7th and final lap of that first run. That time was fast enough for 3rd in that session by the end of everyone soft tyre runs.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

djones
djones

Phil wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:52
Looks like RedBull going aggressive and possibly hinting at a 2-stop race, starting on softs for a better get-away. Mercedes maybe trying to figure out if they can make a 1-stop work.

Whoever is leading on lap 1 IMO will control the narrative. Mercedes might have slightly better options if they have the quicker car, meaning if RedBull goes short and for a definitive two stop, could still try to make a one stop work. If Hamilton/Mercedes lead by lap 1, I think they control the narrative. If Bottas is inbetween them, he will be a great buffer so that they can simply copy everything Max does and still retain the lead. Hamilton doesn't even have to win this race, he just has to finish ahead of Max, ideally in the top 7 I think to nullify the fastest lap point.
If RB starts on the soft then they are desperate or doing it to help orchestrate a first lap 'incident'.

By desperate I mean they know they can't win on pace so have to try something a bit crazy.

Realistically I expect Max and Lewis to start on the same tyres like they always do.