2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
atanatizante

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Luscion wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:30
two wins in a row, this one on merit. congrats to Merc
Although I reckon the skill and experience of HAM for achieving this hard win, I think we should not be carried away. In those 10 laps or so till the end of the race, VER on that H tyre was on average 4 tenths faster than HAM on an S tyre! And taking into account that the offset is down to 1.1 sec/lap in race conditions, according to Pirelli, it seems that RB20 it`s miles away, at least in VER`s hands. And I don`t buy that theory that HAM was managing his tyres, especially the LF one. You should see the radio messages with Bono at that phase of the race and then talk about it ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Dunlay
Dunlay

atanatizante wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 17:28
Luscion wrote:
Although I reckon the skill and experience of HAM for achieving this hard win, I think we should not be carried away. In those 10 laps or so till the end of the race, VER on that H tyre was on average 4 tenths faster than HAM on an S tyre! And taking into account that the offset is down to 1.1 sec/lap in race conditions, according to Pirelli, it seems that RB20 it`s miles away, at least in VER`s hands. And I don`t buy that theory that HAM was managing his tyres, especially the LF one. You should see the radio messages with Bono at that phase of the race and then talk about it ...
You still trust Pirelli? :D Their compound performance projections stupidity can only be beaten by Ferrari strategy team. Both hard and mediums were faster than Softs as Max and Oscar proved. This is not the first time though and won't be last time.

Luscion
Luscion

atanatizante wrote:
Luscion wrote:
Both Max and Lando post race said in interviews they didnt have the pace of the Mercs on the same compound tire in the dry

Lap times of Lewis v Lando in the final stint(along with Max)

SKYnRacing24

Luscion coming with the receipts lol Great post. That consistency from lap 42 onwards. Vintage Hamilton caressing those Pirelli cheese tyres. I heard he asked for more front wing on that last stop to protect the fronts. He knew exactly what he was doing in this phase.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

He was so consistent in that last stint. I was watching his sector times it was like an ai was driving the car. He drove the stint so there would be no degradation. It was unreal.

zibby43
zibby43

Luscion wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 17:54
atanatizante wrote:
Luscion wrote:
Both Max and Lando post race said in interviews they didnt have the pace of the Mercs on the same compound tire in the dry

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR9W1Z1WEAA ... =4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR5Xt71bkAA ... =4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR518lQbIAA ... name=small
Posts like this are what make this board amazing.

Thanks for that level of detail.

zibby43
zibby43

214270 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 12:44
zibby43 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 03:33
214270 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 00:47
We have to discuss the pace. From a clear deficit, they went pound-4-pound against the benchmarks; how does that happen?
I think part of it is their new front suspension component. I think it has helped them broaden the setup window tremendously. The rest is just constant cohesive development for weeks and weeks now. Marginal gains everywhere and each part correlating with their sim tools and adding performance.

Toto described development as chugging along like the pre-ground effect days (paraphrasing). Then there are the weekend-to-weekend factors that can play a role. The temperatures helped Merc a bit in Silverstone. The fact that the RB has become a bit of a tire muncher because it now *has* to be quick in quali or it will be shuffled down 4-5 grid spots. They only used to have to worry about LEC.

Just a few thoughts.

I said it previously, but Hungary is tailor-made for Merc. The track, with these modern cars, is essentially all just medium-speed (and some slow-speed) corners. It was completely resurfaced in 2016 and is still nice and smooth. Should be strong there.

Spa will be a huge indicator of how far Merc have come in the efficiency department.
That’s the bulge on the top of the nose you’re referring to? OK, that makes sense.

As for Hungary & other upcoming tracks, I hope Merc are in the mix. I’m not 1 for predictions, I just hope the positivity is sustained.
Yep! They've been quite secretive about that particular area of the car, according to paddock reports.

And agreed. This season has been far too unpredictable to make specific predictions. I just want to see the continuation of the clear trend of improvement that Mercedes have been making. Very curious what upgrades will be brought to Budapest.

Xyz22
Xyz22

DGP123 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 15:45
Xyz22 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 13:37
I feel sorry for Hamilton fans. His decision to move to Ferrari was not the right one after all.
It's likely that MB will compete for the title next year.
🤦 we’ve got no idea who will win the next f1 race, let alone the pecking order in 25’, or, 26’, with an entire new regulation.
We know who won’t win, Ferrari :D

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Otherworldly handle by HAM, compared to NOR.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

SiLo

214270 wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 12:51

https://ibb.co/HzG3Jgg
Does this include the much slower laps Lando did after being overtaken where he clearly just brought the car home?
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SiLo wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 16:13
214270 wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 12:51

https://ibb.co/HzG3Jgg
Does this include the much slower laps Lando did after being overtaken where he clearly just brought the car home?
Lando said in the cool down room that he'd nerfed his tyres.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

atanatizante wrote:
Luscion wrote:
Rosberg analysed the data and said the RedBull was the quickest in race pace if it got the tyres working. According to Max he didn't get chance until his last stint and we saw how devastating his pace was. Still it was not good conditions for RedBull. Whatever the gap was, Lewis was on the worse of the two strstegies but managed to hold on thru masterful tyre management.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Hammerfist wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 20:41
He was so consistent in that last stint. I was watching his sector times it was like an ai was driving the car. He drove the stint so there would be no degradation. It was unreal.
It's crazy right! Look at how Norris' times are like a yoyo. He basically burnt them out like he didn't know what to do with them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 00:30
Luscion wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 17:54
atanatizante wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR9W1Z1WEAA ... =4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR5Xt71bkAA ... =4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR518lQbIAA ... name=small
Posts like this are what make this board amazing.

Thanks for that level of detail.
His data contradicts his point though!! Max and Lando started with faster times than Lewis.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028