2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 23:04
SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 20:56
As fan of the sport the idea of a Ferrari designed by Newey and driven by Hamilton is exciting… As a McLaren fan, hope it doesn’t happen
I know, but it's exactly the possibility that is in front of us, albeit a remote one luckily. But I'd be hard pressed to dislike a Ferrari lineup with Newey and Hamilton in it. I wouldn't like it, though, I'm not saying that lol

I haven't read Newey's book so I may be totally mistaken, but I think like many other fans of F1 that he is not immune to the charms of Ferrari.
When you have won it all… What else is there to motivate you? Imagine the additional legacy for Newey if he won Championships with Williams, McLaren, Redbull… and Ferrari… He is already one of a kind in terms of achievements… Like I said, a Ferrari, designed by Newey and driven by Hamilton would be something that no one had in their bingo cards a few years ago

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

organic wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 01:27
SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 01:25

Actually due to the slow average speed and the fact that they can use the most amount of Downforce possible, it is the best place to “carry” a bit more weight… no heavy break zones, due to the bumps, more throttle feathering out of corners… From a “penalty” stand point, it makes sense to use it there (if you had to pick a track to carry more weight)… Similar situation last year with the 60 year special livery… I don’t recall many other special liveries run in Monaco beyond those 2
Forget the RB star wars livery you must not
lol… I was trying so hard to forget about that one! Hahaha… But good call!

I was talking about McLaren special liveries though… And weight seems to be a bigger issue on this set of regulations compared to previous ones

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 01:30
When you have won it all… What else is there to motivate you? Imagine the additional legacy for Newey if he won Championships with Williams, McLaren, Redbull… and Ferrari… He is already one of a kind in terms of achievements… Like I said, a Ferrari, designed by Newey and driven by Hamilton would be something that no one had in their bingo cards a few years ago
If Newey ends up leaving RB, it will definitely not be for McLaren.

Newey himself regrets not working with Hamilton, Alonso or Ferrari. So only two options I could see if Ferrari with Hamilton (what a legacy that would be) or Mercedes with Alonso.

mwillems

I wouldn't say definitely as he might like the look and feel of this new Mclaren, but I can see Audi, Ferrari and Williams being more of a tug. Williams from a romantic point of view, helping them back to the top. Audi from a pure numbers point of view.

But there is a huge elephant shaped assumption floating around the room, and that is that it is only a very slim chance that he might move.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Farnborough
Farnborough

SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
As fan of the sport the idea of a Ferrari designed by Newey and driven by Hamilton is exciting… As a McLaren fan, hope it doesn’t happen
I know, but it's exactly the possibility that is in front of us, albeit a remote one luckily. But I'd be hard pressed to dislike a Ferrari lineup with Newey and Hamilton in it. I wouldn't like it, though, I'm not saying that lol

I haven't read Newey's book so I may be totally mistaken, but I think like many other fans of F1 that he is not immune to the charms of Ferrari.
Aware that it's the McLaren thread, I'll be brief. He writes about the last time he thought about going to Ferrari and how that approach by them went ! a substantial part in deciding not to go there. Both Williams and McLaren "leaves" were ultimately about trust and how they treated/worked with him, can obviously now pick and choose the set of circumstances he's willing to accept given the undoubted success he may bring.

Darth-Piekus

It would be perfect if we managed to poach him out of Red Bull back to Mclaren and deny another team getting him.Im pretty sure he could be a valuable asset to the F1 Team

JPower
JPower

Darth-Piekus wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 15:07
It would be perfect if we managed to poach him out of Red Bull back to Mclaren and deny another team getting him.Im pretty sure he could be a valuable asset to the F1 Team
Ya think? :lol:

Darth-Piekus

I dont think. Im 100 percent sure he can still fit in the technical team.

Emag
Emag

He was being ironic. Every team would make place for Newey. His credentials in the sport are legendary.

_DM_

SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Just imagine (Vanga): Newey + Hamilton = Hamilton 8 WorldChemp, and after Max goes to Ferrari...

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

_DM_ wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 21:48
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Just imagine (Vanga): Newey + Hamilton = Hamilton 8 WorldChemp, and after Max goes to Ferrari...
That would definitely be an interesting turn of events

genarro
genarro

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 22:20
_DM_ wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 21:48
SmallSoldier wrote:

That would definitely be an interesting turn of events
Newey will be 66 this year. I doubt he has the energy and motivation to move to ferrari (and to italy) and start a project thet will last years.. If he leaves RB he will probably leave F1 or go to a British based team as a consultant with a small role and will be paid in the millions.

Hope it is mclaren but its probably and unfortunately a long shot

collindsilva
collindsilva

Newey already made enough money. He can spend his time retiring doing gardening or fishing.
To make things interesting, he should float out his ideas on aero in free market and watch the circus that follows.

bauc

Why are we discussing Newey in the Mclaren team thread? I know is off season and the number of topics are limited but please people, stay on TOPIC!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Fun fact:
KimiRai wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 10:40

A similar case occurred at the end of the 2014 season. Fernando Alonso, after his divorce from Maranello and his subsequent move to McLaren, managed to be followed by the then track engineer Andrea Stella. The same operation was not possible for Sebastian Vettel (who replaced Alonso at Ferrari) because the contract signed with Red Bull included a 'poaching' clause which prevented Guillaume "Rocky" Rocquelin (Seb's engineer in the four world championship seasons) from following Vettel in his new adventure in 'red'. Obviously a transfer is always possible with the consent of all parties, but it doesn't seem like the current scenario for Mercedes, taken by surprise and certainly not enthusiastic about Hamilton's departure.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10573618/

So Fernando brought Stella to Mclaren. :lol: