COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

munudeges
munudeges

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

xpensive wrote:I don't think anyone wants the Austin race to fail, it's just that the chosen location for F1's return to US is a bit mystifying,
a city deep within Nascar country that don't even have a track? Scheduled for the hottest period of the year at that?
Sigh............. Yes, alas the race is going to tank badly and I can see a serious prodding from the local community and government as to where all the money has gone.

To be honest, I look forward to the net closing in on Ecclestone just that little bit more.

strad

The price didn't slow down the buying of tickets at INDY..the crap show did..There was never a problem with attendance..and the location didn't slow down fans from England,,Belgium..Germany..there was a large European contingent as well as fans from north and south America, and Indy is a long way from either coast, very much in the heart of oval track racing country.
Because F1 isn't as popular overall as NASCAR means nothing. The smaller percentage of F1 fans is still a very large number.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive
xpensive

@strad;
But Indianapolis is Indy, it is a name and concept in itself, surely the combo of the brickyard and Formula One should have been an instant winner, but a less than perfect track layout, oval goes mickey mouse, prevented that from happening.

Besides, Tony George is a seasoned businessman and didn't need MrE's crap or his xtorsion methods.

@munudeges;
I'm afraid you are correct, perhaps MrE has become so blinded by the windfall of money from the far- and mid-east races, which don't seem to need an attendence anyway, that he wasn't thinking clearly when granting this location as well?

He should know that dependence on public money in a western democracy is not the same as in a filthy-rich dictatorship.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Mr Alcatraz

donskar wrote:
andrew wrote:Is it not? Care to explain?
flynfrog already has.
I ran across this. I don't know how many Blue aficionados we have out there, but Albert Collins is an all time favorite of mine, and I had the great fortune of seeing him at the Belly Up in Solana Beach Ca. before he passed way to young of cancer He called his band "Albert Collins and the Ice Breakers" and he was the original Ice man. Here is a YouTube of a song he did on "Austin City Limits"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjrYLiIa ... rofilepage[/youtube]
RIP Albert. One Cold Dude
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3cVoy6amI[/youtube]
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

strad

Off topic Tazio....
@X...So you think they only came because it was Indy? Way wrong...they came because it was F1 and the peeps would have gone back to Phoenix or Dallas....ANYTHING,,,anywhere to have and go to an F1 race. People have been starved for ages and would show up anywhere.
I reiterate that when people say F1 isn't all that popular in the U.S. that still means more attendance than almost anywhere in the series.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

F1 at Indy wrote its own marketing due to the history.

Austin will be hoping that the attraction of F1 in the US alone will be enough.

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:@strad;
But Indianapolis is Indy, it is a name and concept in itself, surely the combo of the brickyard and Formula One should have been an instant winner, but a less than perfect track layout, oval goes mickey mouse, prevented that from happening.

Besides, Tony George is a seasoned businessman and didn't need MrE's crap or his xtorsion methods.

@munudeges;
I'm afraid you are correct, perhaps MrE has become so blinded by the windfall of money from the far- and mid-east races, which don't seem to need an attendence anyway, that he wasn't thinking clearly when granting this location as well?

He should know that dependence on public money in a western democracy is not the same as in a filthy-rich dictatorship.
X, you answered your own question. F1 is not at Indy because,
Tony George is a seasoned businessman and didn't need MrE's crap or his xtorsion methods.
I do not recall Indy F1 attendance being a disaster. I do recall the tire debacle. Indy is an institution. It does not need that sort of incompetence. It was around before F1 and there is no reason to believe it won't be around after F1.

As to,
Bernie does not give a flying fornicate about where the money comes from, just that it come in huge and ever-growing amounts. I'm sure he'd prefer Austin to succeed, but if it fails, he will already have gotten his money -- and he lives by the belief that "there's one born every minute." And BTW, CVC is getting an undeserved free pass. They are (are they not?) Bernie's employers. He acts as their representative. If they did not support his actions, those actions would cease. A plague on Bernie, CVC, and FIA.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

It's true the 2005 race was a disaster when Michelin got it's tires all wrong, but this could, and perhaps should, have been helped with a temporary chicane as proposed? Such a move would not have been a first either, but MrM would have none of that as he was not a fan of Michelin at the time, however I'm not sure if it was the reason for the event to stop after 2007?

With the MotoGP track layout and without the MrE/CVC greed, I'm certain the USGP would still be at the brickyard.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote: With the MotoGP track layout and without the MrE/CVC greed, I'm certain the USGP would still be at the brickyard.
Now THAT is an interesting point. We will probably never know (unless I have missed something), but it is quite possible Tony G (and Indy mgmt team) simply was not satisfied with the ROI on the investment to run an F1 race, especially if Bernie tried to up the fee -- pure business decision.

It is also possible that ego got involved -- Tony G ego versus Bernie's greed. One school of thought is that F1 needs the USA more than vice-versa. Certainly the manufacturers have been very open about their desire to have a US race. And Indy does quite well with IndyCar and NASCAR. I love F1, but I am not eager to spend $1,000 or so for 2 hours of what F1 calls "racing." I love Cakebread Chardonnay, too, but not at $45-$50 a bottle!

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Our shows of support are working!!
F1 feedback flooding City Hall . . . As of mid-afternoon Monday, Council Member Bill Spelman had received 658 emails in favor of city sponsorship of the Formula 1 racetrack and 258 opposing it. Deena Estrada, an assistant to Spelman, said some of the messages were from folks who indicated they live outside Austin but would visit us if the race wins approval, although she said most of the emails appeared to come from local residents. Council is currently scheduled to vote on whether to support the race

But we need more!! We're aiming to triple the opposition's emails at a MINIMUM, so we need to keep up the pressure! FWD the petition link to everyone you know who might sign it:

http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-th ... 1#comments

OH...we also need direct emails to the councilmembers, sent individually so they don't view it as a bulk mailing and discard it:

Lee.Leffingwell@ci.austin.tx.us; Chris.Riley@ci.austin.tx.us; Mike.Martinez@ci.austin.tx.us; Randi.Shade@ci.austin.tx.us; Laura.Morrison@ci.austin.tx.us; Bill.Spelman@ci.austin.tx.us; Sheryl.Cole@ci.austin.tx.us

.......and we need Letters to the editor at the Statesman.

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/submit ... 23604.html

I know all of this may seem trivial or inconsequential, but it really does matter to the council! Your emails & letters to the editor can be short and sweet, concise kind of stuff not trying to cover too much. Just send them and let them know where you stand!! We're going for as much VOLUME as possible!! EVERYTHING helps.

Three-pronged offensive:

1) Sign the petition and forward it to your friends. For each signing, the council is informed via email.
2) Send Letters to the editor at the Austin American Statesman
3) Send direct emails to the City Council

Thanks so much for all your help, everyone. Keep up the great work!!!!

Tim
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

donskar
donskar

I just sent an individual email to each councilperson -- took just a couple minutes

strad

andrew wrote:F1 at Indy wrote its own marketing due to the history.

Austin will be hoping that the attraction of F1 in the US alone will be enough.
It will.
Sir Stirling Moss

andrew
andrew

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Fund ... 25134.html

Good sense have prevailed. =D>

The organisers wanted a race so they are going to pay for it (only right) and not the tax payer. It would have been moronic to risk the tax payers money on a venture like this.

andrew
andrew

I have fund some pretty pictures of the progress of the track on YallaF1:

http://www.yallaf1.com/2011/06/20/photo ... aF1.com%29

Giblet
Giblet

Indy car racing is the racing of choice, at Indianapolis, where the Indy 500 is the iconic race. It's first even was held decades before Stock Car racing took hold. So at Indy, a track where they run an Indy race and a NASCAR race, that both fill the stands, they had over 200,000 people attend the first race.

NASCAR has many races per year, an they are not selling as much as they used to. Radio stations are constantly running ads here in Canada trying to get us to jump the border to fill some empty seats.

Thinking that people won't go to an F1 race because NASCAR exists is a little short sighted to say the least.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute