2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Btw, this was cool.
https://imgur.com/a/Jf4bu7M

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:01
The Mercedes was clearly weaker than the RedBull. You people didn't see the man counter steering and powersliding the car just to keep ahead of Max?

On 5 laps younger tyres Max also took a brisk 4 seconds out of Lewis. RedBull clearly second fastest here but was unlucky with track position.
I was surprised by how little the new tyre made a difference in Hungary especially. I mean last year drivers were passing each other in traction zones with a tyre offset. This year was very different. Could it be the temperatures?

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

PlatinumZealot wrote:
The Mercedes was clearly weaker than the RedBull. You people didn't see the man counter steering and powersliding the car just to keep ahead of Max?

On 5 laps younger tyres Max also took a brisk 4 seconds out of Lewis. RedBull clearly second fastest here but was unlucky with track position.
I was surprised by how little the new tyre made a difference in Hungary especially. I mean last year drivers were passing each other in traction zones with a tyre offset. This year was very different. Could it be the temperatures?

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Jdn1327 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:49
PlatinumZealot wrote:

How was the mercedes clearly weaker when it was able to stay within 1.3 sec of the redbull on same age tires for a whole stint? Hence guarantee the undercut was in play. Dont you think max would have made a bigger gap if he could to avoid the undercut? Does not compute to me. Dont “you peoole” pay attention to the gaps? Perhaps the redbull was just better on the hards but considering the tire age difference i dont think you can say that in confidence the redbull was clearly faster.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Moved under braking.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Hammerfist wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:19
214270 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:16
Hammerfist wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:50

In the first stint he appeared to be held up by Max. The second stint he had a tire age disadvantage. The third stint he had a tire age and tire compound disadvantage. So yeah you can make a case he had the second fastest car
I was impressed with Merc's pace actually. Not what the qualifying suggested.
No you can’t really make that case when RUS isn’t faster than PER. The better reading would be that VER got stuck & was unable to deploy his speed; such is the Hungaroring.
IMO George Russell isn't a good barometer on Sundays. There were times he wasn't any faster than Latifi at Williams FFS. Verstappen always had newer tires than the rest of the field after stint 1. He wasn't being held up in stint 1 and could not keep up wit the Mclarens while also being hounded by hamilton.
Russell got the fastest lap in the race and made up 9 places. :roll:

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:23
Hammerfist wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:19
214270 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:16

No you can’t really make that case when RUS isn’t faster than PER. The better reading would be that VER got stuck & was unable to deploy his speed; such is the Hungaroring.
IMO George Russell isn't a good barometer on Sundays. There were times he wasn't any faster than Latifi at Williams FFS. Verstappen always had newer tires than the rest of the field after stint 1. He wasn't being held up in stint 1 and could not keep up wit the Mclarens while also being hounded by hamilton.
Russell got the fastest lap in the race and made up 9 places. :roll:
I mean hes driving a much better car than those in the midfield. His race was Checo and he lost that battle.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Luscion wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:41
According to these Ham was the second quickest car. Seems to me max was much quicker than lewis.

They alternated who was quicker. Initially Max, then Lewis, then Max, then Lewis and Max at the end. And Max ran the medium twice to Lewis's two sets of hard (which is the slower tyre).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

214270 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:49
Btw, this was cool.
https://imgur.com/a/Jf4bu7M

https://ibb.co/0YDCZLh
Interesting how the flow from the small outlet on top of the sidepod comes out. It almost seemed to form a "wall" type feature angled outwards. Obviously the car's not moving, etc., but if they are doing clever things with the outflow of the vents, that's quite interesting.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah the two leading louvres point horizontal with more velocity and the trailing ones point upwards with a lower velocity. Looks like a sort of air curtain effect to contain the heat in a sort of benign zone.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Did Allison commented race in Hungary, and did he commented next race in Belgium-Spa?

Luscion
Luscion

Formula 1 fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 22:54
Did Allison commented race in Hungary, and did he commented next race in Belgium-Spa?
Probably going to have to wait for Merc's debrief video on tuesday/wednesday to hear from Allison or Shov

RacePaceDemon

Fantastic work by Lewis and the team today. Strategy was likely close to optimal (maybe staying out later but hey ho) and great defensive drive by Lewis. I was very concerned after qualifying yesterday and thought p5-6 was the likely position but I knew Hamilton was activating racepacemilton mode after a few laps :D

I often spend time in the Red Bull thread giving my opinion on the RB20 as I have more of an opinion on that car and its limitations. But I don't spend much time here debating the W15 because simply I don't understand it too much. It's obviously had a huge step up and i think the third suspension element has helped them with ride height control but other than that they've just been slowly and slowly getting quicker. It's not one change that's done it just incremental changes.

I'm also a bit confused of the strengths. So far I guess it's cold weather, highs speed and top speed/drs efficiency. But then they were also good this weekend?

Anyway I'll try and figure it out and might do some telemetry analysis this week and make a post at some point if i get the chance.

Let's hope Spa has a good showing, a decent result will be a nice way to boost morale and give high spirits for the summer break \:D/
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

[...]

Interesting thing now is that despite George's big lead in qualifying vs Lewis, even if he actually finished Silverstone on the pace he had that day, there's still a good chance Hamilton would be in the lead right now.

Unless George can find a way to stop going backwards on Sundays, I don't see the overall trend changing. If that comes from compromising quali a bit so he can be faster on Sundays, that could put him even further into Hamiltons range.

We've seen enough years of Hamilton at this stage to not underestimate his second half of year performances even when hes been written off early on in the season.
Last edited by Steven on 23 Jul 2024, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cut reply to deleted post

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

RacePaceDemon wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 02:06
Fantastic work by Lewis and the team today. Strategy was likely close to optimal (maybe staying out later but hey ho) and great defensive drive by Lewis. I was very concerned after qualifying yesterday and thought p5-6 was the likely position but I knew Hamilton was activating racepacemilton mode after a few laps :D

I often spend time in the Red Bull thread giving my opinion on the RB20 as I have more of an opinion on that car and its limitations. But I don't spend much time here debating the W15 because simply I don't understand it too much. It's obviously had a huge step up and i think the third suspension element has helped them with ride height control but other than that they've just been slowly and slowly getting quicker. It's not one change that's done it just incremental changes.

I'm also a bit confused of the strengths. So far I guess it's cold weather, highs speed and top speed/drs efficiency. But then they were also good this weekend?

Anyway I'll try and figure it out and might do some telemetry analysis this week and make a post at some point if i get the chance.

Let's hope Spa has a good showing, a decent result will be a nice way to boost morale and give high spirits for the summer break \:D/
I think it’s mostly tyre related when a given car shows its strengths or not, and it might camouflage weaknesses when the tyres do work and vice versa. It still seems difficult for teams to fully understand how to optimize them. You can hear Verstappen in recent races saying that the tyres are --- and that he has no grip quite early in the stint, only to be extremely fast the next stint on different tyres. When the tyre is out of the window, wear increases as well, and if it’s in it, it’s much easier to control it. That’s why I think we will see these big swings until on many tracks going forward as well.