McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tathan
tathan

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Think osmium is the densest? Not sure how much that is either though, probably a lot!

Nando
Nando

bhallg2k wrote:I think he meant within the dimensions set by the wheels.
Obviously correct :)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Forza

atanatizante

tathan wrote:Think osmium is the densest? Not sure how much that is either though, probably a lot!
Sorry mods, I know it`s off topic, but in a short chemistry lesson yeah, Osmium is the densest element in the nature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmium
But due to it`s toxic nature in oxidic combination practically it`s used in alloys and one of them is Osmiridium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmiridium,
Although this alloy it`s almost 20% denser than tungsten/wolfram the latter it`s less expensive (13$ per gram vs. 0,35$ per gram for tungsten) and therefore used in racing.
Q.E.D.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

Is there a ramp and afterwards a slope in the exhaust ramp (or better say slope) or it`s just me?
Maybe I`m not updated (and then it`s my bed) but isn`t illegal to modify this ramp coz the plume will divert his trajectory?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

raymondu999

As long as the ramp is outside the exclusion cone, it's ok.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Rikhart
Rikhart

No its not illegal, or else how could sauber and then red bull make their ramp exhausts? Especially red bull, who made several versions of it. What´s illegal is covering it, or reingesting the exhaust in any way.
On another point, I´m beggining to think mclaren made a mistake with going revolutionary, instead of honing their fine design from last year. Especially now button is coming out saying they´re having trouble understanding the car. Who cares about limited upgrade potencial, when you will at a certain point (about mid season?) redirect all your efforts towards next year anyway? And pull rod front, wasted effort since it wont be much use next year?

CjC
CjC

Ooh dear

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105661

This might explain why the flow conditioners have been removed, they might not be doing what mclaren expected them to do
Just a fan's point of view

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

SiLo

This car just looks so elegant and simple, especially the front wing. I noticed on a picture a couple pages back though that it looked like the front wing was higher than the imaginary line from the reference plane of the floor. Anyone car to check that for me? My laptop is rubbish and I can't use photoshop :(
Felipe Baby!

Forza

Owen.C93 wrote:
Those scorch marks on the floor also show the exhaust plume path

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona Session 1 - Day 2 (20.02.2013)

Brake and wheel hub detail.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Jackles-UK

Do McLaren still run the adjustable brake assembly windows that they pioneered last season to warm the tyres? I know Ferrari were moaning that they were illegal and I can't see the adjuster in the picture above.

Blackout