2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sergej
Sergej

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

car in S2 is ridiculously fast, but maybe a bit too loaded for the straights ?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Sergej wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:01
Looking at the sector times - VER is quite fast in S1 as well but is completely dominant in S2.

kc_f1
kc_f1

Its ridiculous how Perez is a second away in a car which is so dominant.

Vettel165

Sergej wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:01
Like I said the car is made for medium-high speed corners without high kerbs and low-speed traction areas. Now you can only imagine how fast would that car be if they had no kerbs/suspension compromise this year.

The start of FP1 looking better for now, the car is better than in Hungary. Better front-end grip. But have to wait.

Wouter

Juzh wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 12:52
Vettel165 wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 12:09
Wouter wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 10:18

Erik van Haren said the same. at the moment only the ICE but that can change.

I think he can better start from the back because in the midfield with +10 places for only the ICE is very tricky. (crashes)

Yeah better to change everything and start even from the pit-lane. Less risk. Safety car is very possible in lap 1.
Dont think so. In 2023 and 2022 yes, but this year starting from pits it'll be a struggle to reach the podium even.
The team will look during the sessions today how quick the car on this track is. When it is quick they will change al components.
The Power of Dreams!

Vettel165

Last edited by Vettel165 on 26 Jul 2024, 15:41, edited 2 times in total.

f1isgood
f1isgood

taperoo2k wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 14:37
f1isgood wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 13:27
Paa wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 19:11
I don't think this is about not trusting the team. I feel Horner is stuck in that "everything is fine" mode that he has been radiating since his scandal.

Years like 2020 or second part of 2021 was different ad they were the underdogs and it was clear and aknoweldged.

Now they have been underdogs since a few races now, but it had not been aknoweldged. Horner, most fans, commentators and media all acted like during past races like RedBull still is the big favorite. While Max had been doing what he did in 2021 and almost noone noticed. I think this is what frustrates him. Then add some late night gaming and you get Hungary race

Maybe the general view is slowly changing now, but these things needs to be said.
1. For the outside so Max(and operation team) gets the recognition he (they) deserves and got for similar performances in the past (he is only human, I guess)
2. Internally by Horner as well, because first you need to state the problem to be able to address that effectively and find a solution.
I thought it was just Horner, but it is also Marko and others saying car was the best etc.

Max is also not driving as well as he used to, especially the past few races. Getting general frustration get to you is the easiest way to tank this championship. He should simply accept reality that Red Bull are unlikely to have the best car for majority if not all the races and do what he does best -- remain consistent and keep getting them points every weekend. There's no one better at it than him and if he keeps it like 2021, he will very likely get this title.
Horner and co are in denial that the RB20 isn't anywhere near as good as the RB19. Nor that McLaren have found genuine speed.

Max is still Max. The only difference between this year and last year? He had the best car on the grid, this season he doesn't. So, he hasn't got the speed advantage to overtake easily. One thing he's never really learned to do is to be patient with overtakes. It's always a dive up the inside or an overly ambitious overtake. If he continues as is, he'll start racking up penalties from the stewards.
To address Horner's point: Teams are not stupid. They have all the data. And I am pretty sure Red Bull know where they are weak. And yes while it would help to publicly acknowledge the job Max is doing, I am not sure the dynamics within the team are the same as they used to be a couple of years ago where they acknowledged their shortcomings, ever since the saga.

Verstappen is Verstappen but he is unironically also the maximizer of the results on the grid. You cannot take one race where a divebomb didn't work and use to make a gross generalization. Let's analyze situations on their own merit and not add our own priors that we will never change based on evidence to make a point. The best he could have done is P3 in that race. Maybe he should have settled for P4 but that is not who he is and over a season that seems to be enough to beat everyone on the grid. I can generally criticize many things about Max recently but I don't think making comments like he has never really learnt to be patient with overtakes is by any means a good take.

f1isgood
f1isgood

Race Pace is all we need. Give me a Verstappen Masterclass to win from the back!

CjC
CjC

Max ran with a lower engine mode during practise in Hungary last weekend too right?
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

RedBull having both less drag and more downforce is just a bizarre thing to say tbh. You can visibly see McLaren's rear wing and beam wing is much lower.

Cassius
Cassius

Max is testing lower DF (two cutouts in rear wing).

They think they might need a bit of higher speed on the straights to pass.

I am not sure whether it is a good idea though with the higher deg of the RB20 and the wet sessions on Saturday. He might pass quicker, but will lose at the end of the stints to McLaren,

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 15:43
Max ran with a lower engine mode during practise in Hungary last weekend too right?
That was what Marko and others were saying yet in qualy Norris probably had 2-3 tenths more. I wouldn't hold my breath that there are big engine mode differences (except Williams).

Vettel165

That high-downforce rear wing from FP1 was much better. We gained so much time in S2, and didnt lose time on the straights. Hope they go back to it.

organic

Vettel165 wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 17:30
That high-downforce rear wing from FP1 was much better. We gained so much time in S2, and didnt lose time on the straights. Hope they go back to it.
The higher downforce wing perhaps wasn't quick enough in the race, which is the more important factor this weekend. Starting P13 vs P11 that's not a lot of difference compeered to a normal weekend where it's P3 vs P1. They'll be chasing balance and race pace largely
Last edited by organic on 26 Jul 2024, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

organic wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 17:40
Vettel165 wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 17:30
The higher downforce wing probably wasn't quick enough in the race, which is the more important factor this weekend
The rest also hadn't optimized the laps in FP1 yet so the gap was inflated. Most of the difference in FP1 was made in 1-2 critical corners where Max had much more confidence to go flat out.

FP1 in general is almost never a good indicator of pecking order or pace.