McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Just been on the red bull thread, their car just seems to look so much less bulky than the 28. I don't know if it's just me but the 28 looks really bulky in plan view, the sidepods are wide and seem to go on forever where the red bull looks narrower, tighter and the sidepods shorter. May just be me but the mac looks cumbersome, what does everyone else think?

beelsebob
beelsebob

bonjon1979 wrote:Just been on the red bull thread, their car just seems to look so much less bulky than the 28. I don't know if it's just me but the 28 looks really bulky in plan view, the sidepods are wide and seem to go on forever where the red bull looks narrower, tighter and the sidepods shorter. May just be me but the mac looks cumbersome, what does everyone else think?
Simple difference in philosophy. Red Bull's is to clear the rear floor at all heights. McLaren's is that all the useful air comes round the bottom of the side pods, or over the top, so to move all the body work away from those two places, but not care about in between.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It will tighten up at the next test no doubt.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Gurney tabs on the sidepod floor flickups o_o.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Trocola
Trocola

CjC wrote:Ooh dear

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105661

This might explain why the flow conditioners have been removed, they might not be doing what mclaren expected them to do
That's what happens when you have Button as your nº1 driver: He never finds grip or balance.

Sorry to say this, but Mclaren is doomed. This would be a terrible year for them

Pup
Pup

Trocola wrote:Mclaren is doomed.
Clearly.

raymondu999

Trocola wrote:

This might explain why the flow conditioners have been removed, they might not be doing what mclaren expected them to do
That's what happens when you have Button as your nº1 driver: He never finds grip or balance.

Sorry to say this, but Mclaren is doomed. This would be a terrible year for them
I don't think this issue in particular is one of Button's phantom "no balance" moments. IMO Button is talking more in terms of understanding the car technically. I could be wrong about this - but I think what Button means to say is that the car isn't responding to setup (and developmental) changes as they think it should.

Don't forget that these tyres are apparently wildly changing the balance from beginnings to ends of stints too. This could be affecting Button more than most, rather than having Button's style reduce the wear.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

sirexilon
sirexilon

raymondu999 wrote:
Trocola wrote:

I don't think this issue in particular is one of Button's phantom "no balance" moments. IMO Button is talking more in terms of understanding the car technically. I could be wrong about this - but I think what Button means to say is that the car isn't responding to setup (and developmental) changes as they think it should.

Don't forget that these tyres are apparently wildly changing the balance from beginnings to ends of stints too. This could be affecting Button more than most, rather than having Button's style reduce the wear.
Did you guys saw this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqh01JhE ... CAmXTwju0o

It really makes me think if their made a mistake in going Ferrari's way of front suspension. He points out at "HIGH"tyre degradation because of the roll of the car, which yes it will warm the front tyres faster, but it will also increase the wear of them big time. And if we add this to the high degradation fo this year tyres, maybe we'll have a problem.

I just hope is not like that.
Life long F1 fan. Always learning about all the tech around my favorite sport.

http://www.facebook.com/f1myway

sirexilon
sirexilon

What do you guys think? I know the angles are not teh same, but getting that the wheels are the only think equal to all cars, we can have an Idea of where the coanda channel points to.
Seams very different.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... nt_count=1
Life long F1 fan. Always learning about all the tech around my favorite sport.

http://www.facebook.com/f1myway

zonk
zonk

first: it should go to car comparison topic.
second: thing about coanda effect is the fluids stick to the surface.
third: +1 for the try

Mr.G

On the HiRes picture from Blackout, it looks like an radiator in the opening behind the driver's head. Probably for gearbox oil like in Ferrari.

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Coefficient
Coefficient

sirexilon wrote:What do you guys think? I know the angles are not teh same, but getting that the wheels are the only think equal to all cars, we can have an Idea of where the coanda channel points to.
Seams very different.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 4570_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... nt_count=1
Its not as simple as this illustration suggests. The exhaust outlets are angled differently for each car in order to harmonize with the flow coming over and around the side pods. I believe Mclaren uses the airflow from around the sidepod undercut below the exhaust pod as a virual ramp for the exhaust mass flow and because they are deliberately allowing the 2 flow structures to interact they need to angle the exhaust outwards as the flow around the sidepods pushes the exhaust flow back inboard slightly so it hits the desired spot between the rear wheels and diffuser edge. This is the trick that I believe the other non ramp teams are missing by pointing their exhausts directly at the intended area because if the above is correct then presumably the other team's exhaust flow will be moved even further unboard by the oncoming flow around their sidepods which could be why Mclaren appear to get more from this solution than the other teams. It must have been a very complex thing to model correctly!!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

scarbs
scarbs

Mr.G wrote:On the HiRes picture from Blackout, it looks like an radiator in the opening behind the driver's head. Probably for gearbox oil like in Ferrari.
Its the KERS cooler...

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona Session 1 - Day 4 (22.02.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

beelsebob wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:Just been on the red bull thread, their car just seems to look so much less bulky than the 28. I don't know if it's just me but the 28 looks really bulky in plan view, the sidepods are wide and seem to go on forever where the red bull looks narrower, tighter and the sidepods shorter. May just be me but the mac looks cumbersome, what does everyone else think?
Simple difference in philosophy. Red Bull's is to clear the rear floor at all heights. McLaren's is that all the useful air comes round the bottom of the side pods, or over the top, so to move all the body work away from those two places, but not care about in between.
I'm sure they are different design philosophies but I don't quite understand your explanation. Surely, Red Bull also have more 'useful air' coming around the bottom of the side pods as they have more room there above the floor? Their sidepods leave open space on the floor the length of the sidepods and I'm not sure I see how Mclaren have moved any more body work away over the top of the sidepods either. I'm not an aerodynamicist and not really that well versed in the technicalities of it all but I can't see where Red Bull loses out to Mclaren in the two areas you speak off - ie air around the side of the sidepods and over the top and they seem to have cleared much more space at the back. I'm sure it is just different, it could be that the red bull has a higher centre of gravity as they've packed more components high on the centre line to make space at the side. There'll be loads we don't understand about why these cars work the way they do and I'm not saying Big is necessarily worse, it just strikes me that the Mclaren looks pretty bulky from plan view.