German GP 2010 - Hockenheimring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zgred

Re: German GP 2010 - Hockenheimring

One picture is worth thousand words...

Red this time is for embarrassment...

Ray

All I've got to say is, what the hell is wrong with Vettel? He tried that same move in Silverstone and it bit him there. Why try it again? He would have been at the front dicing with the Ferraris if he wasn't trying to stuff everyone in the wall at the start. What a stupid move.

marcush.
marcush.

this is hockenheim 2010 thread...schumacher was ninth in a mercedes.

Vettel is a long way from Hamilton or even Button in Racecraft.

NormanBates

I think team rules should be allowed.

First, because they make sense: from sponsors to teams, everybody is here to make as much money as they can. Leaving money in the table would be silly. Letting your drivers fight each other and risk getting them both to not finish would be downright dumb.

Second, because there's no way a driver is going to refuse to follow them, no matter how encripted they come: if massa hadn't caved in, he'd be driving a vastly slower car next week, and a kart in the following season.

And third, because the ban is not enforceable: in most races some team "manages" the position in which its drivers finish (save fuel, give him his wing, he'll pit first, he's faster than you, etc), and there's no way you could fine the team for those actions; it's only enforceable when a driver allows the other to pass him in such a blatantly open manner as massa used today, so IF THEY GET PUNISHED IT WON'T BE FOR ISSUING AND FOLLOWING TEAM ORDERS, BUT FOR NOT BOTHERING TO CONVEY THESE ACTIONS.

And by the way, I don't think ferrari is personally favoring alonso: they are favoring the driver with the most points; a few races back, when there was no gap between tham, there were no team orders either, even when alonso was trapped behind a much slower massa.

thestig84
thestig84

NormanBates wrote:I think team rules should be allowed.

First, because they make sense: from sponsors to teams, everybody is here to make as much money as they can. Leaving money in the table would be silly. Letting your drivers fight each other and risk getting them both to not finish would be downright dumb.
Disagree. How will sponsors make more money from a Alonso Massa 1-2 instead of the other way around?! Also you could argue that the sponsors did rather well after the Redbull turkey affair! It is too early to make this call, Massa was only 8 old style points behind before today.
Second, because there's no way a driver is going to refuse to follow them, no matter how encripted they come: if massa hadn't caved in, he'd be driving a vastly slower car next week, and a kart in the following season.
Pretty sure Mark Webber was not following team orders in Turkey...his reward was a new contract. Massa may not have got away with not following today but that may not be the case for every driver.

Your third point is fine. For me and many others the problem is not team orders but how Ferrari handle the aftermath (Ant davidson said the same) I wasnt too bothered until I heard the team talk about not team orders and Alonso (who continues to somehow carry on going down in my opinion) talks about his 'pass' on Massa....come on please what does he take us for. Also the paying punters that maybe didnt have a radio or screen at the track, thought they had seen a fight for the lead only to go home to all this news. Basically Ferrari talking the piss out of them.

noname
noname

First, because they make sense: from sponsors to teams, everybody is here to make as much money as they can.
there is one piece of the puzzle missed here and its name is "spectators". if they decide not to spend time watching races manipulated like this, there would be no money to get.

alberto222mx

I feel sorry for Massa, 1 year ago he crashed at Hungary and today he still isn´t the same. Today he had the chance of winning again and start his real recovery and Ferrari stabbed him. I think today we´ve seen why he signed with Ferrari for two more years, I´m pretty sure that was one of the conditions.
And Alonso, well, he has another victory which should be ashamed him like Singapore.

BTW, in some Alonso's fansites are blaming Massa for putting in risk the victory of Alonso because the way he let Alonso overtook him :mrgreen: they are the blindest fanboys out there.
"Why doesn´t someone tell Pedro it´s raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch, 1970

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

So rich teams can run team orders, poor teams can't. $100k is peanuts to the big 3 or 4, but to Lotus, Virgin etc it's serious money.

If the FIA is serious about the 'no team orders' rule then they need to punish drivers and team not just fine the team.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

andartop
andartop

This thread is hilarious! One team order and Ferrari is to blame again for all that's wrong with F1 and this world we live in! One team order and Fernando is the new "Schumi", for all those who need someone to blame in order to sleep better at night, after having proved their self-righteousness in the public domain of an F1 forum! What a hypocrisy! What a load of $*&%!

Every single F1 team will issue orders on every single GP, one way or another.

People have been outraged by the blatant way Ferrari and Massa implemented the team orders today, because it was too obvious! :lol:

Conclusion: it is less offensive if teams cheat in style, F1 fans do not mind being fooled, but feel their intelligence is being undermined when they are fooled in an obvious way!

The FIA will let team orders go unpunished unless these are too obvious for the average F1 fan to feel offended! =D> Does everyone feel smarter now that it became apparent team orders will only be tolerated if well masked under "strategy", "fuel saving" or "tire issues"? :lol:

As I've said before in other threads, there is only one way to actually prevent team orders, and that would be to allow teams to race only one car! Until that happens, F1 fans need to have a good look in the mirror and decide how much their IQ really drops every time they moan about such things being done in a more or less obvious manner..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Miguel
Miguel

thestig84 wrote:

Disagree. How will sponsors make more money from a Alonso Massa 1-2 instead of the other way around?! Also you could argue that the sponsors did rather well after the Redbull turkey affair! It is too early to make this call, Massa was only 8 old style points behind before today.
It is not too early at all. And the sponsors wouldn't make more money of the reversed 1-2, but they would make more money if a Ferrari driver wins the championship. Lapped cars made Alonso lose a 2nd (and maybe even a 1st) in Canada, the safety car in Valencia costed him another 10-15 points, and the double penalty for a single offence in the UK a few others. Had Fernando been within 20 points to the WDC lead, you wouldn't have seen this. But 45 points behind with 9 races to go? Don't be naïve.

BTW: This is Grandprix' race review of Canada 2008, for those interested:
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr792.html
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Massa feels he deserved victory:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85535

Domenicali Q & A:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85557

And Alonso couldn't give a fart:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85541

For those of you how did not see the BBC coverage, here is Massa's Q & A with David Croft of BBC Radio 5 Live in the post race drviers conference:
Q. Felipe, a year to the day since your accident in Hungary. A win would have been the perfect way to mark that anniversary. Did you feel you deserved a win this afternoon?

Felipe MASSA: Well, I think so. The start was just fantastic and also the pace on the soft tyres was really great. Then I was struggling a little bit on the hard, but anyway it was a very good race for us.

Q. You were told by Rob Smedley, your race engineer, that Fernando was the faster car than yourself. A couple of laps later, turn six at the hairpin, talk us through what happened?

FM: Well, I don’t think I need to say anything about that.

Q. Fernando managed to get past you. Did you make a mistake? Was it under braking?

FM: He passed me.

Q. Then Rob Smedley said ’Good lad, sorry’.

FM: Yeah.

Q. Did you feel that you weren’t allowed to win that race?

FM: No, the only thing I feel is that we are working for the team and we are doing a very good job for the team and that is the most important thing.

Q. How pleasing is it for you that Ferrari are back up there competing with Red Bull?

FM: Well, I think it was a great job for the team during the last month I would say. We were pushing hard. This was a very good track for us but anyway I think we did a good job, good working inside the car, so the car became faster and faster race by race and I think that is very important for sure when you get to the track that you see your car is very, very competitive, so the best you can do is to do first and second on the track. This is what’s happened today, so I think as a team we achieved the maximum that is possible for this race.
Full interview here:
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Germ ... rence.html

I think that Massa is playing the team game too much and just really needs to do a Webber. He has said that it was his choice but I can't see any driver who was going to win a race pull over for his team mate unless their team implored them to do so.

And if a picture could say 1000 words....

alberto222mx

Let's not forget that team orders are not allowed for a reason.
How many people stopped watching F1 in 2002 after Austria? The team orders affect directly to the spectacle.
All this season we've been talking here every week about controversy with some teams, stewards decisions, penalties, because just a few races offer a good spectacle. Today we could had seen a fight between Massa and Alonso or Alonso and Vettel and instead we just saw a Ferrari slow down for another to pass him.
With today's lack of good shows in almost every race, F1 cannot afford of allow the team orders.
"Why doesn´t someone tell Pedro it´s raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch, 1970

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

andartop wrote:This thread is hilarious! [...]
What annoys some of us is the way that Ferrari very publicly bemoan 'manipulated races' (going so far as accussing the FIA of doing so) with one breath and then manipulate the race result themselves.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Super racing
Super racing

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
andrew wrote:I think that 1st and 2nd places should be reversed or Alonso's result is disallowed. The team gets points from Massa's finish, Massa gets the win but they get nothing for Alonso. I think that is a lot fairer and will hurt the team more that a $100,000 fine which will be like pocket money to a team teh size of Ferrari.
Both should be penalised.

Massa played his part in this too, and while I feel for him, If he ignored Ferrari we wouldnt have had this problem.
Exactly right, Massa is the most at fault for all of this... For God's sake stand up and be a man Felipe... TEAM ORDERS WILL END WHEN ALL THE DRIVERS ACT LIKE MEN AND STOP ALLOWING(DEMANDING) IT... Say whatever you want about Webber but he would have never moved over for Vettel while still having a chance at the title, especially for a win.

What if Alonso is feeling horny before the race and thinks a good shagging will give him 6 tenths or so per lap? No girls around? no problem! Felipe Baby bend over and take some team orders. Your employer demands it and you should feel honored to be allowed to drive for Ferrari.

Nobody has to do whatever their employer tells them too. What would Ferrari have done if Felipe didnt move over? Replace him(with LUCA BADOER!!!) for not folloing team orders, WHICH ARE BANNED?

Felipe has just signed up to be Alonso's Bitch for the next 2.5 years, I bet his grandkids will be so proud at how "professional" he was.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Just_a_fan wrote:
andartop wrote:This thread is hilarious! [...]
What annoys some of us is the way that Ferrari very publicly bemoan 'manipulated races' (going so far as accussing the FIA of doing so) with one breath and then manipulate the race result themselves.
Ferrari double standards are legendary. I was really looking forward to a Massa vs Alonso duel. Ferrari had other ideas. Thanks for screwing up the race there fellas
And Seriously, people need to lay off Alonso, he is not the sole perpetrator, and I think those journo's hounding him is disgraceful opurtunism of the worst possible kind.
Where is the so called "journalistic integrity".....note how all these eminate from british media outlets.....
Last edited by JohnsonsEvilTwin on 25 Jul 2010, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
More could have been done.
David Purley