Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Williams FW33

Diesel wrote:Proves conclusively that copying a single component doesn't work in Formula 1.
Or proves that in two fp sessions they have not found the grips with the system yet.
AFAIK, exhausts are very difficult to simulate: almost impossible in wt, erratic in cfd. They may need some on track tuning
twitter: @armchair_aero

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

As I said in another topic, understanding the concept is more important than applying it.

shelly
shelly

I know, but in this case you have to apply it in order to understand it
twitter: @armchair_aero

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Touche :P I do agree with you, I just want to stop all of this "copying red bull makes you go fast" talk that seems to keep cropping up.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Took McLaren quite some time to understand and optimise it. Williams just need time.

dren

Alexgtt wrote:Took McLaren quite some time to understand and optimise it. Williams just need time.
Agreed. It took several teams several races last year to get it to work right.
Honda!

ringo

Diesel wrote:Touche :P I do agree with you, I just want to stop all of this "copying red bull makes you go fast" talk that seems to keep cropping up.
Where would they be if they never copied it?

copying redbull eventually makes you go fast. :wink:
For Sure!!

Formula None
Formula None

MGU:

KERS radiator:

Battery:

raymondu999

The car was good in pre-season, and flopped when Melbourne started. Almost makes me think that McLaren switched their car with the Williams.
What do you folks reckon is the primary issue with this car? Is it lack of downforce? mechanical grip (which I doubt as they've always been mechanical kings along with McLaren in the past)? Tyre use? I mean, Barrichello is known to be a great car-developer and can find good directions in terms of both setup as well as car development, and even he seems to be out at sea on this one.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

I think the tyre use, especially the rears is good.
The problem may be the wings. They seem a bit 2009. Not only that but it may well be the setup of the car.
Remember williams use to be friday practice pole position queens with Nico Rosberg?
They used to run the car very light in practice.
So their approach to setting up the car with the pirellis and fuel may be wrong, similar to mercedes who just now realized they were taking the wrong approach fuel weight wise with learning the tyres.

Wings and practice procedure. The skirted diffuser is the other thing, but isn't a fundamental problem.
For Sure!!

Formula None
Formula None

ringo wrote:I think the tyre use, especially the rears is good.
The problem may be the wings. They seem a bit 2009. Not only that but it may well be the setup of the car.
Remember williams use to be friday practice pole position queens with Nico Rosberg?
So their approach to setting up the car with the pirellis and fuel may be wrong, similar to mercedes who just now realized they were taking the wrong approach fuel weight wise with learning the tyres.

Wings and practice procedure. The skirted diffuser is the other thing, but isn't a fundamental problem.

Obviously they are having issues ingesting leaves & grass into the brake ducts. The only way this can be fixed is to apply more rake to the track. Only then can they remove the duct screens and gain 11 tenths in race pace.

Francesc
Francesc

ringo wrote:I think the tyre use, especially the rears is good.

You're wrong I'm afraid.

Traction is said to be very poor, due to the Cosworth driveability, so the rear tyres go off early.

DRS flap is too big, so they lose performance in Qualifying.

They have quite alot of rear downforce, but they don't have a front end to match it, hopefully the new front wing that is coming for Turkey will solve that.

horse

Do you think this is why they scrapped the RB style exhaust because adding more down force at the rear is fruitless if the front is weak?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

sink
sink

If that were the case, I'd guess they would rather take off some wing to compensate.

marcush.
marcush.

compare the size of the parts to mclaren 2009:

btw the MGU looks more like a big pump to me with all the tubes for coolant flow...and how does the thing bolt to the engine? no mounting flange ?

btw :MGU in Porsche GT3Hybrid applikation: