2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

ALO_Power wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 21:07
diffuser wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 17:06
ALO_Power wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 16:13

Another interesting thing, somewhere during mid-race when Perez was closing down on Alonso with mediums and Alonso said that it's all good for him, he then started having a detailed discussion about the strategy and some temperatures and stuff (can't remember exactly) and then his mechanic chuckled and said "I'm impressed".
Amazing how he can keep his thought crystal clear while driving an F1 car to the limit, while being chased by a Red Bull, and all of that in his 42 years. Impressive.

If someone has the clip, feel free to post it.
He was talking about the tire strategy Plan A and Plan B. He was doing the calculations of how far off they were from Plan B. None of that mattered, he was ordered to pit for softs the lap after Perez did.

Some people have this misconception that Alonso is making all the decisions while he is in the cockpit. It isn't true. He is super fast to execute whatever the engineer tells him to. I forget who his race engineer is but he is one of the best I've heard. He'll usually express himself in 2 different ways. Yesterday in the race, after the race restart and Alonso got past Hamilton, he told Alonso "You're too fast into 6 and 7, we think you'll be faster overall if you slow down". Other times he'll say "Consider white button for turn 4.", meaning try it and see. Usually all you'll get from Alonso is "Copy." He'll do whatever he's asked without question...but If stuff isn't working out, he'll get upset.
I think what I said got misunderstood. I never mentioned that he decides the strategy himself, I mentioned that the facts and calculations he was discussing (while still trying to keep them encoded) impressed his own engineer quite much for the level of detail they had.
That's it.
For me that's quite remarkable to be able to think so clearly at those conditions and I don't think it's a given for all drivers.
I could be wrong, but that's my view.

As for experience, it's definitely a great asset in a driver's arsenal but managing to combine this with the rest skills he has while maintaining his endurance at that age, is also undoubtedly quite impressive in my book.
Didn't mean you in particular.

jofs89
jofs89

DDopey wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 18:09
ALO_Power wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 16:13
majki2111 wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 14:05
I rewatched the race on Alonsos onboard cam and not for once his engineer wathced ahead. It was only for first 10 laps when he was telling Fernanado the gap to Norris. And after that in the middle of Medium stint he told Alonso how far Norris is and that he was to fast. So for 60 laps they only watched what was happening behind Alonso and how Perez was progressing trough the field. So for 90% this was defensive race.

In direct battle with Perez engineer was only telling gap to Perez on Start-finish straight and when Alosno can use energy. Corner lines and driving was pure Alonso talent.
Another interesting thing, somewhere during mid-race when Perez was closing down on Alonso with mediums and Alonso said that it's all good for him, he then started having a detailed discussion about the strategy and some temperatures and stuff (can't remember exactly) and then his mechanic chuckled and said "I'm impressed".
Amazing how he can keep his thought crystal clear while driving an F1 car to the limit, while being chased by a Red Bull, and all of that in his 42 years. Impressive.

If someone has the clip, feel free to post it.
Indeed. He let Perez closing the gap quickly instead of starting to push himself. He knew that if Perez needed to follow his car closely it would help him. If Perez would have stayed longer in fresh air, and the gap would have closed slower he would just zap by Alonso in the final rounds.
I actually found it remarkable Perez could follow so closely for so many laps without his tyres getting trashed. I thought once he fended him off for 5-6 laps he'd start to stabilise a bit of a gap. Pair play to both, a classic duel! Some genuinely exciting and memorable racing. You can't say that often this season. Alonso is just pure box office, give him a half decent car and he always seems to generate some excitement. Maybe I'm a bit biased.

zoroastar

-wkst- wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 09:08
makecry wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 08:04
majki2111 wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 23:38

Are you sure about this. Source? :-k
Source : Trust me bro
Yep, this guy should be banned for spreading rumours and fake news ("update-list").
to be fair, the sky broadcast did mention that Aston dropped a bunch of their recent updates and went back to baseline from several races ago. they didnt get into that much detail though.

xReVo
xReVo

diffuser wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 22:52
ALO_Power wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 21:07
diffuser wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 17:06

He was talking about the tire strategy Plan A and Plan B. He was doing the calculations of how far off they were from Plan B. None of that mattered, he was ordered to pit for softs the lap after Perez did.

Some people have this misconception that Alonso is making all the decisions while he is in the cockpit. It isn't true. He is super fast to execute whatever the engineer tells him to. I forget who his race engineer is but he is one of the best I've heard. He'll usually express himself in 2 different ways. Yesterday in the race, after the race restart and Alonso got past Hamilton, he told Alonso "You're too fast into 6 and 7, we think you'll be faster overall if you slow down". Other times he'll say "Consider white button for turn 4.", meaning try it and see. Usually all you'll get from Alonso is "Copy." He'll do whatever he's asked without question...but If stuff isn't working out, he'll get upset.
I think what I said got misunderstood. I never mentioned that he decides the strategy himself, I mentioned that the facts and calculations he was discussing (while still trying to keep them encoded) impressed his own engineer quite much for the level of detail they had.
That's it.
For me that's quite remarkable to be able to think so clearly at those conditions and I don't think it's a given for all drivers.
I could be wrong, but that's my view.

As for experience, it's definitely a great asset in a driver's arsenal but managing to combine this with the rest skills he has while maintaining his endurance at that age, is also undoubtedly quite impressive in my book.
Didn't mean you in particular.
It's not a question of a race engineer, Alonso has always done these things. In Brazil it wasn't the engineer who told him the trajectory to set. With Alpine last year in Canada, he drove like a madman to stay under Sainz's DRS and not let Hamilton pass (except for the team's sabotage). He also has an impressive race reading from the cockpit, he can understand what positions the drivers are in without anyone telling him.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Anyway, next stop: Vegas.
How you guys thing it will be for the team?
I feel that if we can relate this track to a current known one, the closest candidate would be something between Baku and Monza (although still not close at all :D).
In Monza the team didn't do well, in Baku was better. So if the drag is lower, maybe can get a better result in Vegas?
(As for the rest, I feel that the next challenger to Red Bull will probably be Ferrari again.)

diffuser

ALO_Power wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 22:43
Anyway, next stop: Vegas.
How you guys thing it will be for the team?
I feel that if we can relate this track to a current known one, the closest candidate would be something between Baku and Monza (although still not close at all :D).
In Monza the team didn't do well, in Baku was better. So if the drag is lower, maybe can get a better result in Vegas?
(As for the rest, I feel that the next challenger to Red Bull will probably be Ferrari again.)
We'll see if they can get the new side pods to work there. Should give us more top speed.

Otromundo

Fernando's conversations with his engineer. In this first video the interesting thing begins at :48

https://twitter.com/i/status/1721637468254912556

When Checo approached from behind:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1721622052124103012

And the tribulations of Checo and his engineer trying to decipher the game:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1721882695859355761
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

KimiRai
KimiRai

There was an article saying that Red Bull had just bought some sort of building or terrain that will allow them to have their new wind tunnel under construction right next to the drawing office, and that had caused them to postpone their work. Aston's new wind tunnel in terms of distances will no doubt be a much needed improvement on having to rent Mercedes', but if it wasn't for the road and all and the lack of space, in an ideal world it would perhaps have made more sense to have the wind tunnel even closer to the engineers and avoid them having to trek through building 2, we're talking quite a few metres. Obviously I have no idea, it's just a thought.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 23:48
There was an article saying that Red Bull had just bought some sort of building or terrain that will allow them to have their new wind tunnel under construction right next to the drawing office, and that had caused them to postpone their work. Aston's new wind tunnel in terms of distances will no doubt be a much needed improvement on having to rent Mercedes', but if it wasn't for the road and all and the lack of space, in an ideal world it would perhaps have made more sense to have the wind tunnel even closer to the engineers and avoid them having to trek through building 2, we're talking quite a few metres. Obviously I have no idea, it's just a thought.

Depends on what "right next to the drawing office" is. AMR had the option, not sure why they went with putting it in a separate building, all be it attached.

onewingedangel
onewingedangel

You'd think being separated from the noise of the wind tunnel and machine shops would be a benefit for the design office.

diffuser

The middle building will be used to monitor the team's performance and the physical and mental health of staff. The new building will be connected by first-floor bridges to a wind tunnel on one side and the company headquarters on the other. Designers said the new building would be "the vibrant, social heart of the site".

KimiRai
KimiRai

onewingedangel wrote:
15 Nov 2023, 16:38
You'd think being separated from the noise of the wind tunnel and machine shops would be a benefit for the design office.
Well... you make a good point, haha

organic

Quite a lot of RW. Similar to RB/Haas and more than their competitors. Will be interesting - I suspect those with Monza spec RWs have the upper hand

issey
issey

-wkst-
-wkst-

Fabrega spotted the low DF front wing from Monza. Guess they will compare Monza wing specs with Baku wing specs (both, FW and RW).