2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
j_ste
j_ste

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Is there a way to know how much more than 798kg Lewis car was? Or is that info that won’t ever be released?

Quantum

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 15:45
Quantum wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 13:56
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 13:17

They'll be keen (desperate?) for George to finish the season ahead of Lewis in the WDC. They'll look a bit silly if the guy they let go finishes ahead of the guy they're keeping.
That's imposition of bias.
I think they'll be keen to sign of Lewis time with Merc on a high.

The kneejerk reaction every time George beats Lewis is team favouritism. That's not healthy at all.
Not imposing anything on anyone. It's reasonable to expect the team to want their remaining driver to finish above the driver that is leaving. Human nature, basically. In 2016, if Mercedes had known that Nico was going to retire immediately after winning the title, do you think they might have done things differently? I'm sure they would.

Not suggesting they will actively hinder Lewis but I wouldn't be surprised if any 50/50 calls go George's way more than Lewis's.
Of course it's a slant, suggesting "keen" or "desperate" to see George finish ahead of Lewis.
Human nature would also be wanting to see off the most successful driver in history in as emphatic a way as possible.
The most titles and wins together as well as the most time spent together in the history of the sport.
Not that I need to remind you J_A_F.

Microcosmic 50/50's will always deviate slightly between any driver pair at any point at any venue IF they have parity.

I feel we are at 5 to midnight on something serious happening because a false and and unsubstantiated narrative gets spun out of control. Especially with all that's happened with this team this year already.
"Interplay of triads"

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

One point that I still cannot figure out is, if the 1.5kg was due to excessive tyre wear, then it doesn't make sense to me as to why the Merc Engineers handed over the car to the FIA declaring that it had been fully drained of fuel when they would have probably known there was still quite a lot of fuel left in it. Did they really think the FIA would not spot 2.8L of fuel in the car?

1.5kg of fuel was apparently 2.8 litres which is not insignificant. I find it hard to believe that the Merc Engineers did not know there was 2.8 litres of fuel left in the car.

But assuming they didn't, the FIA would have tested all the cars before announcing the results. So if the Merc Engineers did not know that George's car would fail at that point, I can only assume the Merc Engineers would have prepared Lewis's car in the same way as George's for FIA to inspect unless they knew George's car was different.

Did they know Georges car was underweight to start with and therefore deliberately left extra fuel in the car?

What are the chances of Merc having exactly 1.5kg of fuel accidentally left in the car, which also happens to be the precise amount they needed to meet the minimum weight requirement of 798.0kg? Do they have sensors on the car that can work out the weight of the car? If so, can it detect how much weight has been lost from the tyres?

I personally find it hard to believe the tyre wear was the only factor at play here. Merc seemed very quick to admit fault which seems to me that they just didn't want people to dig deeper into it.

JordanMugen

Quantum wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 16:07
The most titles and wins together as well as the most time spent together in the history of the sport.
Obviously Russell did not have a chance to compete for the 2020 WDC or 2021 WDC as he was not a Mercedes driver at the time. :)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Quantum wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 15:45
Quantum wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 13:56

That's imposition of bias.
I think they'll be keen to sign of Lewis time with Merc on a high.

The kneejerk reaction every time George beats Lewis is team favouritism. That's not healthy at all.
Not imposing anything on anyone. It's reasonable to expect the team to want their remaining driver to finish above the driver that is leaving. Human nature, basically. In 2016, if Mercedes had known that Nico was going to retire immediately after winning the title, do you think they might have done things differently? I'm sure they would.

Not suggesting they will actively hinder Lewis but I wouldn't be surprised if any 50/50 calls go George's way more than Lewis's.
Of course it's a slant, suggesting "keen" or "desperate" to see George finish ahead of Lewis.
Human nature would also be wanting to see off the most successful driver in history in as emphatic a way as possible.

Microcosmic 50/50's will always deviate slightly between any driver pair at any point at any venue IF they have parity.
I'm sure they'll be keen for George to come out on top. If I was Mercedes, that's the image I want at the end of the season. Not suggesting they'll be doing anything to actively prevent Hamilton doing well in races but they won't favour him over George in 50/50 calls. That's understandable as George is effectively the team leader in 25 and beyond.
I feel we are at 5 to midnight on something serious happening because a false and and unsubstantiated narrative gets spun out of control. Especially with all that's happened with this team this year already.
No idea what this is about.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Venturiation
Venturiation

This suggests they knew about being DSQ or it doesn't make sense

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 16:56
Quantum wrote:
Obviously Russell did not have a chance to compete for the 2020 WDC or 2021 WDC as he was not a Mercedes driver at the time. :)
2020, anyway. 2021 was decided by others... :lol: :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Venturiation wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:14
They wanted the 1-2 finish and that meant no risks being taken i.e. no racing each other once it was obvious Piastri was no longer a threat to P2.

Conspiracy hypotheses aren't required.

SuperCNJ wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 16:45
One point that I still cannot figure out is, if the 1.5kg was due to excessive tyre wear, then it doesn't make sense to me as to why the Merc Engineers handed over the car to the FIA declaring that it had been fully drained of fuel when they would have probably known there was still quite a lot of fuel left in it. Did they really think the FIA would not spot 2.8L of fuel in the car?

1.5kg of fuel was apparently 2.8 litres which is not insignificant. I find it hard to believe that the Merc Engineers did not know there was 2.8 litres of fuel left in the car.

But assuming they didn't, the FIA would have tested all the cars before announcing the results. So if the Merc Engineers did not know that George's car would fail at that point, I can only assume the Merc Engineers would have prepared Lewis's car in the same way as George's for FIA to inspect unless they knew George's car was different.

Did they know Georges car was underweight to start with and therefore deliberately left extra fuel in the car?

What are the chances of Merc having exactly 1.5kg of fuel accidentally left in the car, which also happens to be the precise amount they needed to meet the minimum weight requirement of 798.0kg? Do they have sensors on the car that can work out the weight of the car? If so, can it detect how much weight has been lost from the tyres?

I personally find it hard to believe the tyre wear was the only factor at play here. Merc seemed very quick to admit fault which seems to me that they just didn't want people to dig deeper into it.
Cars are in Parc Ferme, they don’t get handed to the FIA. I’d recommend you leave room for misunderstanding arising from language playing a role here, esp as far as how the tech delegates doc has been written. Whilst the doc might intimate that Merc did/didn’t do something, the reality is that anything done would be at the behest of the FIA & under their supervision, incl the 1L fuel sample drain & any additional tank drain subsequent.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Quantum

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:13
No idea what this is about.
"When we are getting these kinds of emails, and we're getting tonnes of them, it is upsetting. Particularly when there's somebody talking about death and all these things. So on this particular one, I have instructed to go full force. We have the police inquiring into it. We are researching the IP address, we are researching the phone, all of that because online abuse in that way needs to stop. People can't hide behind their phones, or their computers and abuse teams or drivers in a way like this.
I don't know what some of the conspiracy theorists and lunatics think out there. Lewis [Hamilton] was part of the team for 12 years, we have a friendship, we trust each other. We want to end this on a high, we want to celebrate the relationship. And if you don't believe all of that, you can believe that we want to win the constructors' world championship and part of the constructor's world championship is making both cars win. So, to all of these mad people out there: talk to a shrink."
"Interplay of triads"

Quantum

Venturiation wrote:
Sabine is not a credible source. And that's being polite.
"Interplay of triads"

Jurgen von Diaz

Venturiation wrote:This suggests they knew about being DSQ or it doesn't make sense
Why didn't we hear this radio conversation that Toto told to hold the positions?

PlatinumZealot

Venturiation wrote:
Hmm. Interesting!! Ao they were telling George to go hell for leather only then realising he is wearing the tyres too much then telling Lewis to hold station??

In a way it make sense because if they left george vulnerable to Piastri they would lose the one-two. But it makes my stomach a little sick when I think they prefered for George to win the race.

Talk about Karma.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Them possibly favoring george is to be expected and we Hamilton fans shouldn’t feel upset by it. This is something i saw coming when the move to Ferrari was announced. Completely predictable and understandable. What im surprised by is the fact lewis is leading george in the championship.

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

erudite450 wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 11:25
Formula 1 fan wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 11:20
Okay, if someone knows, will Mercedes back upgrades from race in Spa to race in Zandvoort?
The updates weren't the issue. They found some other technical issue so the updates will expectedly be back in Zandvoort. The jury is still out on whether the updates are indeed upgrades; hopefully so.
Thank you for information.