2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dee
Dee

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Keeping Perez is all to do with RB going as an engine manufacturer in 2026

Ford and Perez means a lot of money to Red Bull corporate.

Horner has failed at the moment in his quest to buy Red Bull Racing from Red Bull (Austria) and so they need the money.

Hundreds of millions are being spent on the engines. I doubt RB shareholders will be happy to lose the US market by letting go of Perez so early and especially before 2026.

f1isgood
f1isgood

The only driver worth realistically getting is Alonso. Albon is a failure next to Max, Perez is a failure next to Max, Gasly is a failure next to Max and while Ocon could be interesting, he was fairly close to Alonso who at 41 was beating him.

Alonso will help the team immensely both from a performance and a constructors point of view. If Max's dad doesn't want Alonso, maybe it's time to not take him seriously.

Already lost Sainz and Piastri (given Horner knew him in junior formula). Norris seems to be the perfect #2 to Max. If Oscar gets a good hold on Lando, should do anything to pair up Max and Lando.

TNTHead

Well the comment of Max after the race is spa was also interesting: Perez is underperforming because the car is not in the right spot. With Perez always behind Max, even when he has a penalty it is still a strategy to maximize WDC poimts. Although one RedBull against to. Mercs and McL's is increasingly tough.
So remotely it still has some sense from a WDC sperspective.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

From Ralf Bach

Verstappens believed Perez was out. Red Bull did an unexpected 180 on Monday. Liberty media contacted them out of fear that the Mexican GP would lose sales if Perez was cut. COTA would have also lost attendance.
This was the unanimous message after the Mexican's messed up race in Spa, which was considered Perez's last chance to prove himself. Verstappen and Co. were all the more surprising when they learned of the 180-degree turnaround by Red Bull decision-makers on Monday evening.
He did not want to comment on the background in more detail. What leaked behind the scenes: Formula 1 rights holder Liberty Media asked Red Bull to reconsider Perez's dismissal. Without folk hero Perez, they feared an extreme drop in revenue at the Mexico GP on October 27. However, Marko indicates: "For 2025, the cards will be reshuffled again."
So I think that Perez will be out at the end of 2024. There are simply bigger financial considerations at play preventing a mid-season change.

Max thinking Perez was out after Spa would explain why he didn't say anything during the race or after the race about Perez holding him up. I think it was a courtesy given the situation.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 30 Jul 2024, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

^ what was in it for Red Bull. That kinda makes sense and it feels like a last minute thing but it looks like tampering by Liberty. Because there had to be something in it for Red Bull to do a 180 and keep Perez.

djones
djones

Alonso would never be the teammate of Max.

The chance of him getting destroyed is very high and the reputation damage would be unrepairable. Add in the risk to his ego too.

Pop those things on a probability/impact matrix and the score is horrendous. Never going to happen.

chrisc90

I'd be very ashamed if Liberty were having a say in things.

It would be..... a liberty

Paa

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jul 2024, 19:15
From Ralf Bach
He did not want to comment on the background in more detail. What leaked behind the scenes: Formula 1 rights holder Liberty Media asked Red Bull to reconsider Perez's dismissal. Without folk hero Perez, they feared an extreme drop in revenue at the Mexico GP on October 27. However, Marko indicates: "For 2025, the cards will be reshuffled again."
So I think that Perez will be out at the end of 2024. There are simply bigger financial considerations at play preventing a mid-season change.
I don't get it. Why should Red Bull take Liberty's interest above theirs? I really don't get how Liberty has any saying on a team's internal matter? Or if they don't then what can they offer to Red Bull in return?
This info makes no sense as is. It is either some weak speculation or missing an important piece (RedBull's interest in this).

Jurgen von Diaz

djones wrote:Alonso would never be the teammate of Max.

The chance of him getting destroyed is very high and the reputation damage would be unrepairable. Add in the risk to his ego too.

Pop those things on a probability/impact matrix and the score is horrendous. Never going to happen.
Would Alonso have minded so much in his later years? Alonso has great respect for Verstappen, and I think he would have accept that prime-Max is simply faster. I mean, this season Alonso has been a team player, got screwed by Stroll, and is chill about it. Alonso 10 years ago would have challenged Max to a fist fight if he had been beaten.

Wouter

djones wrote:
30 Jul 2024, 19:30
Alonso would never be the teammate of Max.

The chance of him getting destroyed is very high and the reputation damage would be unrepairable.

Add in the risk to his ego too.

Are you talking about Max his ego and Alonso would destroy him? If so ........
I am a huge Alonso fan and I think what you are saying is complete nonsense.
RBR offered Alonso a one year contract before they did to Perez. Alonso refused, he wanted a two year contract.
Max would love to have Alonso as his teammate and vv.
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

No, it was the other way around how I read it. Max would destroy Alonso and Fernando’s ego couldn’t handle it. It will hurt. But in this phase of his career he can deal with that. Plus, I don’t care what others say but I feel Max is usually very carefully with what he says and full of respect to his competitors. If they are selling him a load of crock to his face (pundits) then he will say his opinion. But just once. No need to linger.

By the way, I don’t think destroying is right to say. Fernando is an all time great.

Tommy.G
Tommy.G

MYsee wrote:
30 Jul 2024, 14:20
Tommy.G wrote:
30 Jul 2024, 09:54
Red Bull have been firing drivers all those years for way less dreadful performances than Perez! Just look at Albon and Gasly! So it’s probably Perez keeping something up his sleeve regarding Horner which doesn’t let Horner get rid of him…

There’s no other explanation! Hopefully they do lose the WCC so that Horner gets a lesson at last this season…
I can only guess but it seems they do not believe Yuki/Riccardo/Lawson are much of an upgrade over Perez and none of the three would make a difference to the results at the end of the season.

Maybe the plan is to revisit this in the summer and look at other options for a real upgrade.
Sainz was a free agent and waiting for this exact position for 2025! I never really understood what’s the point of not signing such a driver specially since he has been in your junior ranks and you know him pretty well!

Probably something to do with the Verstapens…

KimiRai
KimiRai

Those who say Max would destroy Alonso - wasn't Max/Red Bull the ones who refused Alonso while he was open to it? Or am I wrong?
Last edited by KimiRai on 30 Jul 2024, 23:25, edited 2 times in total.

TNTHead

AR3-GP wrote:
From Ralf Bach

Verstappens believed Perez was out. Red Bull did an unexpected 180 on Monday. Liberty media contacted them out of fear that the Mexican GP would lose sales if Perez was cut. COTA would have also lost attendance.
This was the unanimous message after the Mexican's messed up race in Spa, which was considered Perez's last chance to prove himself. Verstappen and Co. were all the more surprising when they learned of the 180-degree turnaround by Red Bull decision-makers on Monday evening.

Max thinking Perez was out after Spa would explain why he didn't say anything during the race or after the race about Perez holding him up. I think it was a courtesy given the situation.
Isn't this farfetched? If Perez' staying would lead to a drop in WCC that would cost RedBull a lot of price money. Compensation would be logical.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

TNTHead wrote:
30 Jul 2024, 23:24
AR3-GP wrote:
From Ralf Bach

Isn't this farfetched? If Perez' staying would lead to a drop in WCC that would cost RedBull a lot of price money. Compensation would be logical.
The difference in prize money between P1 and P2 WCC is around 9M dollars (subject to change since it depends on FOM revenue). On the surface, this is more than compensated by all the marketing and sponsorship that Perez contributes.

I don't think Liberty has a say in Red Bull's driver decisions, but conversations can make people reconsider. Yes, he is costing them the WCC and may cost them in ways that are difficult to put a price on (team members leaving, angry fans), but it can be compensated in other ways.

Maybe Wache wants this to get extra windtunnel time. There must be something useful that is coming from keeping him.