2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bluechris

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 May 2024, 12:32
According to Nugnes and also written by ScuderiaFans, between the lines, driver feedback was positive and only one high-speed corner in Fiorano was important for engineers to analyse... As far as I understand

https://scuderiafans.com/encouraging-da ... e-details/

https://it-motorsport-com.translate.goo ... r_pto=wapp
I read the same but i suppose they got more under the hood, like the acceleration on slow corners etc.

Space-heat
Space-heat

Vanja #66 wrote:
According to Nugnes and also written by ScuderiaFans, between the lines, driver feedback was positive and only one high-speed corner in Fiorano was important for engineers to analyse... As far as I understand

It is interesting that comments have focused on the highspeed and potential improvement, considering Ferrari from a glance were 2nd/3rd best in this area (strongest in Miami, setup decision). Hopefully, there is progress in the slow speed which we seem to be the weakest point of the SF-24. We may have to wait until the next package for that.

dia6olo
dia6olo

Space-heat wrote:
12 May 2024, 14:02
Vanja #66 wrote:

It is interesting that comments have focused on the highspeed and potential improvement, considering Ferrari from a glance were 2nd/3rd best in this area (strongest in Miami, setup decision). Hopefully, there is progress in the slow speed which we seem to be the weakest point of the SF-24. We may have to wait until the next package for that.
3 things for me, tyre warm up, slow corners and efficient downforce, I feel they could easily gain 4 tenths by improving those points.

Even though overall they have qualified OK, tyre warm up is compromising their qualifying, it has been a little bit hit and miss, avoiding unnecessarily starting behind slower cars would improve the race management and pace, on a number of weekends so far at least one car has qualified behind slower cars and compromised their race.

The other thing with the tyres, while they appear to have excellent in-race tyre degradation, I also feel like they are not maximising the race tyre, maybe again because of not generating enough heat and falling short of fully using the tyres peak performance. At the very least they look like they are losing out in the initial warm up even with the race tyre.

Improving the cars slow corner performance would obviously further add to the cars performance.

Looking at the upgrade and the talk surrounding it, it looks like the car is going to be more efficient, more downforce or less drag for the same downforce.

What remains to be seen is how it now behaves on the tyres and how it behaves in slower corners...

deadhead

bananapeel23

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 May 2024, 20:51
bananapeel23 wrote:
11 May 2024, 19:16
I don't know if I'd put too much stock in Xavi leaving having anything to do with broader strategy or Lewis. I think people pay too much attention to him becuase he sometimes sounds stupid and produces some of the most unintentionally funny radio messages. Xavi is in all likelihood a very competent employee that Leclerc likes and wanted to continue working with, he almost certainly wasn't shuffled around because he was incompetent or worked poorly with Leclerc. Remember that Leclerc always defended him.

Also, aren't race engineers considered very senior employees? They get promoted all the time, which is likely what happened with Xavi.

I think it was simply a case of Xavi getting a good job offer in another part of the company and choosing to leave, with no broader strategic implications behind the decision.
In the last two and a half years he wasn't competent enough in some of the most crucial moments. Monaco, Silverstone and Hungary 2022, Brasil Q 2022 and the decision to start Q3 on Inters instead of Softs. Monaco 2023 late impeding in Q3 costing Leclerc an easy P3 from start to finish, Austria SQ3 impeding and a lost chance to get 3-4 points in Sprint. Way too early pit stop in Miami last weekend cost Leclerc a lot seeing how Norris finished. Race engineer is not just an executive voice on the radio, that person needs to make the calls on strategy, keep track of cars on track and avoid impeding etc.
Surely a lot of those stupid strategy decisions are also in part due to the head of strategy being absolutely stupid. Also I don't think extending in Miami was really a no-brainer. The Ferrari was insanely kind on the tyres, so undercutting made sense at the time because the deg wasn't going to come back to haunt them either way.

In hindsight it was stupid, but at the time I don't think it was an entirely bone headed decision, especially if Ferrari felt they could hunt down Max or Norris if they pulled a gap while the others were extending. Piastri was absolutely holding Leclerc up during the first stint, so he was losing time behind him and it wasn't really certain that overcutting was going to get him the tyre delta required to overtake him with how low the deg was. He also wasn't going to pass him by pushing for an extra lap after Piastri pitted, as the McLaren is good at switching on the tyres.

Space-heat
Space-heat

dia6olo wrote:
12 May 2024, 16:03
Space-heat wrote:
12 May 2024, 14:02
Vanja #66 wrote:

3 things for me, tyre warm up, slow corners and efficient downforce, I feel they could easily gain 4 tenths by improving those points.

Even though overall they have qualified OK, tyre warm up is compromising their qualifying, it has been a little bit hit and miss, avoiding unnecessarily starting behind slower cars would improve the race management and pace, on a number of weekends so far at least one car has qualified behind slower cars and compromised their race.

The other thing with the tyres, while they appear to have excellent in-race tyre degradation, I also feel like they are not maximising the race tyre, maybe again because of not generating enough heat and falling short of fully using the tyres peak performance. At the very least they look like they are losing out in the initial warm up even with the race tyre.

Improving the cars slow corner performance would obviously further add to the cars performance.

Looking at the upgrade and the talk surrounding it, it looks like the car is going to be more efficient, more downforce or less drag for the same downforce.

What remains to be seen is how it now behaves on the tyres and how it behaves in slower corners...
Tyre warm up is a good point. We have seen with Merc that is can be easy to overcompensate, as Russell alluded to in his post sprint miami interview - (1:25). Counting the days to FP1.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

Humm wasn't Jock Clear appointed as Head of FDA? is he leaving?

Xyz22
Xyz22

Fakepivot wrote:
13 May 2024, 15:37
Humm wasn't Jock Clear appointed as Head of FDA? is he leaving?
It was an interim role, probably.

yooogurt

It's finally official, good.
Now we just have to wait for the Newey announcement.
FORZA FERRARI!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Xyz22 wrote:
13 May 2024, 15:29
That is a great hiring from Ferrari.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

deadhead

Big role for Serra.

According to this profile here:

https://www.formulacritica.it/loic-serra-ferrari/news/

Similar skill set to Washé?

jambuka
jambuka

Can re realistically expect Loic Serra / Jerome d’Ambrosio to make any impact for this season ?

Xyz22
Xyz22

jambuka wrote:
13 May 2024, 20:34
Can re realistically expect Loic Serra / Jerome d’Ambrosio to make any impact for this season ?
Loic will help for the final phases of SF 25 development

ringo

It makes sense that since he left mercedes the w15 has poor tyre management compared to the 14 or 13.
For Sure!!