[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Busor
Busor

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 20:05
Now, you can also have a look at the other cars:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... s_COTA.gif
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-cota-2023/
Looking good, nice touch with the MVRC on the wheels!
Seems like the airbox wing works on more and more cars :D
Busor

Koldskaal

Race goes live at 13:00 (local time)

(20:00 GMT+1)
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

yinlad

Wait what, why am I marked as using the car from previous race?!

The results are definitely old car, but even in the renders my updated car was visible :shock:
MVRC - Panthera

yinlad

Potentially assigned my new car to Busor, ran my old car for me, and not run Busors actual car? Something definitely not right there
MVRC - Panthera

Koldskaal

Andre said there was a problem with the CFD on your car. He tried some different setups but nothing worked. So we took your Monza car (this was the fastest of your 2023 submissions around COTA). This is why your new car was in the competitor list, but the CFD results are from Monza.

Unfortunately we cannot spend several hours trying to fix a simulation if it doesnt run immediately. So sometimes it has to be this way.

I think it is very unlikely that your car was wrongly assigned to Busor, but mistakes can happen. Only Andre can check this though.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

CAEdevice

One of my worst races ever! :lol: I lost somewhere in the calculation 20 points of downforce, but I expected some instability in the geometry results I sent. My problem is that the development level is very high this year (just look at the efficiency parameter): congratulations to everyone (staff included)! =D>

yinlad

Koldskaal wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 21:59
Andre said there was a problem with the CFD on your car. He tried some different setups but nothing worked. So we took your Monza car (this was the fastest of your 2023 submissions around COTA). This is why your new car was in the competitor list, but the CFD results are from Monza.

Unfortunately we cannot spend several hours trying to fix a simulation if it doesnt run immediately. So sometimes it has to be this way.

I think it is very unlikely that your car was wrongly assigned to Busor, but mistakes can happen. Only Andre can check this though.
Hmm interesting. I'll double check everything I sent and try to run a full length sim myself but it all ran to varying degrees prior to being sent. No indication of what went wrong or just gave up if it didn't run immediately?

Feel pretty hard done by to have all that develop not even run and not hear anything about it until now
MVRC - Panthera

Busor
Busor

yinlad wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 21:31
Potentially assigned my new car to Busor, ran my old car for me, and not run Busors actual car? Something definitely not right there
Happy to report that the values for my car pretty much exactly match with the one from my corresponding MVRC medium run (so suddenly nearly perfect correlation with MVRC long preset?).

But I'll take it as a compliment :D

Those 0.007 seconds to Koldskaal hurt a bit, I'll try to get on that podium for the last race! :wink:
Busor

yinlad

Busor wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:03
yinlad wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 21:31
Happy to report that the values for my car pretty much exactly match with the one from my corresponding MVRC medium run (so suddenly nearly perfect correlation with MVRC long preset?).

But I'll take it as a compliment :D

Those 0.007 seconds to Koldskaal hurt a bit, I'll try to get on that podium for the last race! :wink:
Very impressive step for you then, for a car that on the surface at least looks very similar. Congrats =D>

Unfortunately for me I think the fight for P4 in the championship has been killed off due to this simulation failure
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

yinlad wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 22:12
Koldskaal wrote:

Hmm interesting. I'll double check everything I sent and try to run a full length sim myself but it all ran to varying degrees prior to being sent. No indication of what went wrong or just gave up if it didn't run immediately?

Feel pretty hard done by to have all that develop not even run and not hear anything about it until now
Yes, the CFD simulation failed. We do have rules about this, but I did do one additional step to see if it might work. While we have not had a failed simulation in a very long time, running a race takes so much time, I simply cannot also doctor CFD simulations as well. That is why we provide MFlow with a very robust setup and expect the entries to work in this environment. And most of the time it does. I cannot remember how it ago a simulation actually failed.
If you can provide logs that show, that you can run the car with the mvrc_long template, I can have another look.

I should have gotten in touch right away, but I was pretty sick during this race, I am happy to have achieved what did get done. I hope, I can send out the scrutineering results and CFD reports tomorrow,

Other than that, congratulations to GRaph, this is real domination. Variante made a nice step, but just barley missed out.

Very big thanks to Max and Christian, who once, more did a fantastic job. As I was sick, I just without warning sent the results and they took care of the rest.

variante

What a tight race!
Congratulations to GRaph once again. This time, only 0.1s gap...
Lucky for you, your upgrades payed off.

Mine too, but i hoped for some more. Correlation is still too low.
So far, my downforce ratio between long sim VS fast sim has been: 1.128 ; 1.063 ; 1.060 ; 1.082
It's growing back thanks to more conservative vortex management, but it's still a long shot from the glory of the 1st race.

Fantastic performance from Busor, who managed to challenge the reigning champion Koldskaal in just 3 races.
And everyone else is right there, after making massive gains since Race 1.

Sorry for Yinlad/Panthera. I hope the situation gets sorted out.
Throwing 1 month of development out of the window is far from ideal...

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 11:54
yinlad wrote:
Koldskaal wrote:

Yes, the CFD simulation failed. We do have rules about this, but I did do one additional step to see if it might work. While we have not had a failed simulation in a very long time, running a race takes so much time, I simply cannot also doctor CFD simulations as well. That is why we provide MFlow with a very robust setup and expect the entries to work in this environment. And most of the time it does. I cannot remember how it ago a simulation actually failed.
If you can provide logs that show, that you can run the car with the mvrc_long template, I can have another look.

I should have gotten in touch right away, but I was pretty sick during this race, I am happy to have achieved what did get done. I hope, I can send out the scrutineering results and CFD reports tomorrow,

Other than that, congratulations to GRaph, this is real domination. Variante made a nice step, but just barley missed out.

Very big thanks to Max and Christian, who once, more did a fantastic job. As I was sick, I just without warning sent the results and they took care of the rest.
Copy that, I'll kick it off and let you know in about 2 days!
MVRC - Panthera

Ft5fTL

Apart from 1-2, tight grid, maybe tightest grid on the history of this competition. I'm happy that i got better numbers than my case but not happy with 8th. Congratz to G-Raph for the win.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

G-raph

Great video as always. That was a close one!

My floor gamble didn't pay off, as I lost a bit of efficiency compared to the first 2 races. However, it still correlated well enough to get to the optimum balance, and that's what saved the win!
I'm quite curious to see what went "wrong but not too wrong " in the official CFD results, and I'll have some tough choices to make for the final race.

I have luck on my side this year but congratulations to Variante for pushing so hard. At that rate you'll definitely win the last race.

The level through the entire grid is very high, and the competition is very close. It's great to see, well done to all.

And of course the star of the race was Busor. So unlucky to miss out on the podium, but considering the competition, that is incredibly impressive progress in such a short time. =D>

yinlad

yinlad wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 14:28
LVDH wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 11:54
yinlad wrote:

Copy that, I'll kick it off and let you know in about 2 days!
I never actually got around to re-running it. Looking at the results and what I'd expect from the new car it would only be a single position bump at best so I made use of the time it would have taken to run MVRC_Long on some upgrades instead
MVRC - Panthera