2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1isgood
f1isgood

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Paa wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 20:13
AR3-GP wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 19:11
I read somewhere (I think Motorsport.nl?) to expect updates in the Baku-Singapore-Austin timeframe. In theory there could be a lot of potential unlocked if they understood what causes the lack of correlation and changed something on the car to fix it.
But did they?
It was quite telling how insecure they were about Hungary updates before putting them on the car. You could feel their lack of confidence about correlation and what to expect.
That was few weeks ago, I'm not sure they had any eureka moment since then.
I think the upgrade did okay. But the strategy + lack of clean air was the issue. Spa was probably the first track since China where RB had race winning pace on merit from P1 I would say.

Wouter

Some quotes translated by Deepl. https://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/ ... itaet.html

Dr. Helmut Marko on Pérez: «Focus on stability»

Dr. Helmut Marko column 08/07/2024 - 08:31

Pérez doesn't need to get faster, but more consistent. And given the alternatives, he is still our best solution. Reports that his continued commitment is due to Liberty Media's desire for him to drive in Mexico are not true. They certainly want him to compete in his home race, but our choice of driver is not based on Liberty's intentions.

We will announce what will happen with Liam Lawson in September. It had been planned for some time that he would be able to gain more Formula 1 experience in Imola. Even if the competition would like to use him on loan, he is not available for that.

Intensive brainstorming

There is nothing going on for two weeks during the summer break, which means that no work on the car is possible. We have to solve our problems and find out where the error lies, because we no longer have the balance in the car if you compare the current situation with the first three races. But it is difficult to estimate how quickly that will happen. I don't think that the big solution will come in Zandvoort. We are brainstorming intensively and have various ideas. But I can't say yet what we will implement and how.

One thing is clear: qualifying in Zandvoort will be decisive, because overtaking is hardly possible there. And Max could definitely manage a good qualifying, because he has been good there recently. We were the fastest in Austria and also in Spa. In Hungary we were only a few hundredths off - so we are complaining at a high level.

Our Formula 2 driver Isack Hadjar took his fourth victory in the highest formula racing class in Spa. He clearly has the potential for Formula 1. We will see how everything develops, but he will certainly play some role. It is possible that, like Lawson, he will spend a year as a test and simulator driver.
The Power of Dreams!

Paa

f1isgood wrote:
07 Aug 2024, 10:20
Paa wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 19:11
I read somewhere (I think Motorsport.nl?) to expect updates in the Baku-Singapore-Austin timeframe. In theory there could be a lot of potential unlocked if they understood what causes the lack of correlation and changed something on the car to fix it.
But did they?
It was quite telling how insecure they were about Hungary updates before putting them on the car. You could feel their lack of confidence about correlation and what to expect.
I think the upgrade did okay. But the strategy + lack of clean air was the issue. Spa was probably the first track since China where RB had race winning pace on merit from P1 I would say.
My point was not about the update itself, just the 'body language' of RedBull before fitting the upgrade.
I sensed a 'I hope it will work, but can't know for sure' attitude from staff speaking about it. This suggest a lack of confidence it their tools, which was not present in previous years.

organic

Marko
We have to solve our problems and find out where the issue lies, because we no longer have the balance in the car if you compare the current situation with the first three races.

It's difficult to estimate how quickly that will happen, I don't think the big solution will come in Zandvoort. We are brainstorming intensively and also have various ideas. But I can't yet say what we will implement and how

f1isgood
f1isgood

Paa wrote:
07 Aug 2024, 11:37
f1isgood wrote:
07 Aug 2024, 10:20
Paa wrote:

But did they?
My point was not about the update itself, just the 'body language' of RedBull before fitting the upgrade.
I sensed a 'I hope it will work, but can't know for sure' attitude from staff speaking about it. This suggest a lack of confidence it their tools, which was not present in previous years.
Okay fair -- I get what you mean now. When was the last time Red Bull had to bring an upgrade that had to deliver? Imola 2022? Probably why. And even then Imola was thanks to removing weight back then.

f1isgood
f1isgood

organic wrote:
07 Aug 2024, 13:26
Marko
We have to solve our problems and find out where the issue lies, because we no longer have the balance in the car if you compare the current situation with the first three races.

It's difficult to estimate how quickly that will happen, I don't think the big solution will come in Zandvoort. We are brainstorming intensively and also have various ideas. But I can't yet say what we will implement and how
Marko saying car isn't fastest. Finally.

Sergej
Sergej

so seems we are in for a very difficult Zandvoort, but we expected it.

organic

Sergej wrote:
08 Aug 2024, 07:31
so seems we are in for a very difficult Zandvoort, but we expected it.
Zandvoort should be one of the best races in the second half imo. Maybe not outright strongest but they'll be up there

K1Plus
K1Plus

Singapore will be Mercedes vs McLaren. Can't solve kerb issues overnight. Austin will be equal between the top 3 cars.
Baku I might expect them to win just based on pure aerodynamic efficiency and straight line speed. Monza too.

FW17

I feel Red Bull has been slowed down either for for competition or for technical infringement since Miami.

Sergej
Sergej

In Monza Ferrari will go banzai with the engine just to try to win and save their failure season, not expecting RB to have a chance; in Baku as well I expect Ferrari (Leclerc) to shine

actually I can't see a track where RB are clear favourite, plus probably there will be another track where they will take a second engine penalty

really they should have gone for the win in Spa

sour
sour

K1Plus wrote:
08 Aug 2024, 17:07
Singapore will be Mercedes vs McLaren. Can't solve kerb issues overnight. Austin will be equal between the top 3 cars.
Baku I might expect them to win just based on pure aerodynamic efficiency and straight line speed. Monza too.
"overnight" haha no kidding! According to Max its been there since the since 2022 :lol:
"It's been a problem since day one of the new regulations, and this is something that we know and we haven't been able to fix it yet,"

I saw that Wache mentioned the age of the wind tunnel among the limited testing and aging regulations as part of the issues this year. Last thing I read construction was supposed to start in 2024 on the new one in Milton Keynes to be completed in 2026.
"We are using quite an old wind tunnel and it can also be linked to the reduced capacity due to our position in the championship [with the ATR testing restrictions] and maybe also the fact that this is the third year with this type of regulations."

Sergej
Sergej

old wind tunnel sounds a bit like an excuse, it wasn't a problem in 22-23 when they produced the best aero of the grid, plus the problem seems to be more mechanical than aero

f1isgood
f1isgood

Sergej wrote:
08 Aug 2024, 20:19
old wind tunnel sounds a bit like an excuse, it wasn't a problem in 22-23 when they produced the best aero of the grid, plus the problem seems to be more mechanical than aero
Wind Tunnel is not the issue per say. The old wind tunnel takes longer to get into usable stage (eating into already small wind tunnel hours). Maybe that's what Wache is referring to.

The thing is, when you are winning, there are so many things that you are bound to overlook as they don't play a significant part. Now when you have to crawl back up, all these small things begin to matter. I am sure Red Bull with McLaren's wind tunnel time would feel a bit more relieved in any case.

f1isgood
f1isgood

K1Plus wrote:
08 Aug 2024, 17:07
Over one lap pace you mean. McL simply have everyone on tire deg. They have managed to win 2 out of the 10 races with the best car.