Monaco GP 2010 - Monte Carlo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
toshinden
toshinden

Re: Monaco GP 2010 - Monte Carlo

what's up with overtaking under green light is penalized while racing on the pitlane was only reprimanded.
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Jersey Tom wrote:
alberto222mx wrote:And of course it is Hill's revenge...
:roll:

Do you think Damon even gives a ---? The man's been out of GP racing for how long now?

And.. as was said repeatedly.. Hill doesn't call the shots. Get over yourselves, folks.
Can you explain why the FIA employed him as a steward then? A high profile one who will call the shots in circumstances like this!
More could have been done.
David Purley

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

So you're saying that Damon Hill, by himself, makes all the decisions here?

Why did they hire him? Because he's an experienced driver who's been out of the game long enough that he can make objective decisions.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

WhiteBlue

Jersey Tom wrote:
alberto222mx wrote:And of course it is Hill's revenge...
:roll:

Do you think Damon even gives a ---? The man's been out of GP racing for how long now?
The first thing he commented when Schumacher declared his return to F1 racing was concern that Schumi wasn't punished sufficiently in the past. He now took it in his own hands to see to it. His Mexican buddy Jose Abed may have supported him ably in that move.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Jersey Tom wrote:So you're saying that Damon Hill, by himself, makes all the decisions here?

Why did they hire him? Because he's an experienced driver who's been out of the game long enough that he can make objective decisions.

Dont make me laugh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hill objective?
Where have you been! 1994 anyone?
David Purley

Predator

This sport shoots itself in the foot once again. SC car is in, green flags waved at Rascasse and Anthony Noghes, Schumacher waits for Alonso to pass the SC line, then makes the move. Ferrari say they told their drivers they could not pass, so why the hell was Alonso lighting up his tyres and drifting around Anthony Noghes? As far as I'm concerned, looking at the regulations in detail, green = racing conditions. The SC's lap ends at the SC line. If it was not racing conditions, would the drivers not have just cruised over the line in formation? What if Webber had crashed or had a moment going into the last corner? Would the drivers hold station and stop behind him in fear of breaching the regulations? FIA rules contradict themselves.

I feel sorry for Schumacher. A quick thinking driver makes an excellent move in an otherwise unexciting race and he gets punished for it. I thought F1 was the pinnacle of motorsport? Here's hoping Mercedes win the appeal.

zenithbeach

ok no human being is objective. you can clearly see that by this whole discussion. everybody interprets data differently!

and if the stewarts really were objective, they would penalise Massa for crossing the yellow line when he came out of the pit! now why oh why did they not even investigate this i wonder?? #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Predator wrote:This sport shoots itself in the foot once again. SC car is in, green flags waved at Rascasse and Anthony Noghes, Schumacher waits for Alonso to pass the SC line, then makes the move. Ferrari say they told their drivers they could not pass, so why the hell was Alonso lighting up his tyres and drifting around Anthony Noghes? As far as I'm concerned, looking at the regulations in detail, green = racing conditions. The SC's lap ends at the SC line. If it was not racing conditions, would the drivers not have just cruised over the line in formation? What if Webber had crashed or had a moment going into the last corner? Would the drivers hold station and stop behind him in fear of breaching the regulations? FIA rules contradict themselves.

I feel sorry for Schumacher. A quick thinking driver makes an excellent move in an otherwise unexciting race and he gets punished for it. I thought F1 was the pinnacle of motorsport? Here's hoping Mercedes win the appeal.
+1
They are penalising not only an overtake, but an oportunistic manouvre.
If they want robots to follow each other for 78 laps like most the race, then Im no longer an F1 watcher.
David Purley

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Johnson you beat me to it. 1995 also. Hill went crying to the race stewards after the Belgian GP that year all because Schumacher made a firm but fair pass on him.

Given that Hill and Schumacher were both involved in one of the messiest and controversil championship fights since Prost v Senna, his impartiality cannot be guaranteed. The same as if Schumacher was the steward and Hill was still driving.

Whist there is apparently not meant to be any overtaking if the pace car peels off on the last lap, common sence has to prevail. If a driver jumps a chicane and gains a place, they have to give that place back. At the most this is what the penalty should have been but 20 seconds is excessive and just smacks of someones agenda. Given that Alonso messed up the corner, there was really nothing for Schumacher to do than go past. Add into that the incorrect flags, it is not really the drivers fault for making a mistake.

Thankfully Merc are appealing the decision and hopefully common sence will prevail. [-o<

zenithbeach

andrew wrote: Thankfully Merc are appealing the decision and hopefully common sence will prevail. [-o<

even though i totally agree with you, the quote "hope dies last" comes to mind :(

i really dont see why they would change their minds?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

andrew wrote:Johnson you beat me to it. 1995 also. Hill went crying to the race stewards after the Belgian GP that year all because Schumacher made a firm but fair pass on him.

Given that Hill and Schumacher were both involved in one of the messiest and controversil championship fights since Prost v Senna, his impartiality cannot be guaranteed. The same as if Schumacher was the steward and Hill was still driving.

Whist there is apparently not meant to be any overtaking if the pace car peels off on the last lap, common sence has to prevail. If a driver jumps a chicane and gains a place, they have to give that place back. At the most this is what the penalty should have been but 20 seconds is excessive and just smacks of someones agenda. Given that Alonso messed up the corner, there was really nothing for Schumacher to do than go past. Add into that the incorrect flags, it is not really the drivers fault for making a mistake.

Thankfully Merc are appealing the decision and hopefully common sence will prevail. [-o<
Its evidently green light conditions with green flags. there is no disputing it.
How can you penalise a driver for overtaking on green flags?
ITS INSANITY!
David Purley

komninosm
komninosm

segedunum wrote:
Skinn3r55 wrote:Mercedes have appealed the decision, so everybody can calm down...for the time being.
Bloody hell I would. This is ridiculous. 40.13 doesn't apply because the SC wasn't deployed when the race ended. Had the safety car crossed the start/finish line with the field then fair enough, or safety car lights were still applied.

I suspect this is some arse covering because race control wrongly lifted the safety car conditions on the last lap and didn't know their own rules.
You are mistaken. The SC never crosses the start/finish line at the last lap, even if the race is not restarted (for the last 200 meters). It always pits. I do think though that they should not have gone green flags and stuff.

vall
vall

segedunum wrote:
Skinn3r55 wrote:Mercedes have appealed the decision, so everybody can calm down...for the time being.
Bloody hell I would. This is ridiculous. 40.13 doesn't apply because the SC wasn't deployed when the race ended. Had the safety car crossed the start/finish line with the field then fair enough, or safety car lights were still applied.

I suspect this is some arse covering because race control wrongly lifted the safety car conditions on the last lap and didn't know their own rules.
Safety car never crosses the finish line on the last lap! Read the regulations! The SC much get in in the last lap and all the cars finish without overtaking.....

marcush.
marcush.

logically the stewarts decision has to be redressed:

the race ended NOT under SC ,it was ended under green

ONLY when the race ends under SC conditions the SC leaves the track into the pits and the cars have to cross the line without overtaking .
They messed up and let Hill get his ways...what a bad bad thing for the sport.

there is nothing to decide in my views as the new SC rule has created this opportunity. Reinstate Schumacher and clarify the rules .

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
andrew wrote:Johnson you beat me to it. 1995 also. Hill went crying to the race stewards after the Belgian GP that year all because Schumacher made a firm but fair pass on him.

Its evidently green light conditions with green flags. there is no disputing it.
How can you penalise a driver for overtaking on green flags?
ITS INSANITY!
The rules are pretty clear on what happens once the safety car pulls off. When the drivers pass over the safety car line, they can race. this line is normally the start-finish line (or near it) but at Monaco it is right before the final corner. In this respect there is nothing wrong with what Schumacher did, however as of this year, if the safety car pulls off on the last lap the driver cannot race or pass. The have to hold position until the finish line (madness, I know!!).

BUT (there's always a "but")

Green flags were waved telling the drivers to go for it. Add into that Alonso snaking all over the shop, there is no arguement. The steward decision is incorrect. At worst, he should give the place back but 20 seconds? I smell a rat (not a regular one but a giant one riding a "log" in the sewers!).

I agree, it is insanity! :wtf: