2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I got the impression that Leclerc was taking comfort in knowing that the time they were losing was all on the straight in the first sector - it seemed like they understood it and could solve it, which is why he thought it bodes well for the rest of the year. I’m reading between the lines but it’s the sense that I got.

Monaco will be interesting because everyone will use maximum wings and dirty downforce. I have no idea if Ferrari will be strong but I get the impression that they’ll soften suspension and crank on wings and are comfortable with how the slow corner performance will be when they do.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Interesting....Charles pointing out an engine/energy deficit to McLaren and RBR rather than chassis. first time I've heard that

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

For me personally it was the most depressing race since 2023, both car performance and execution-wise.

Pit-stops were mid. Car setup is still very conservative.

It looked like the tyre wear was great before Norris took off. The car is great in medium-speed corners, but does not seem to have any advantages over competition otherwise. Straight-line speed is mediocre. Direction changes remain an issue. Fast corners are okay. Performance on high fuel is still behind RB. And it seems that the car suffers more in dirty air compared to competition.

Carlos also seems to be entering his usual invisible phase. Charles rinsed him and would've had a perfect weekend if it hadn't been for his chicane mishap.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:29
For me personally it was the most depressing race since 2023, both car performance and execution-wise.

It looked like the tyre wear was great before Norris took off. The car is great in medium-speed corners, but does not seem to have any advantages over competition otherwise. Straight-line speed is mediocre. Direction changes remain an issue. Fast corners are okay. Performance on high fuel is still behind RB. And it seems that the car suffers more in dirty air compared to competition.

Carlos also seems to be entering his usual invisible phase. Charles rinsed him and would've had a perfect weekend if it hadn't been for his chicane mishap.
Why there's this issue with straight line speed, I thought Ferrari had the most powerful engine of all ?

Regarding Carlos I was happy that he won in Melbourne but I couldn't follow the hype about the fact Vasseur should've kept him. Most of the year he's mid. Hamilton will clearly bring something on Sunday he still has an incredible race pace. On the hard he was lapping 0.6s faster than his teamate and was matching Verstappen's times

bananapeel23

Spoutnik wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:32
CouncilorIrissa wrote:

Why there's this issue with straight line speed, I thought Ferrari had the most powerful engine of all ?

Regarding Carlos I was happy that he won in Melbourne but I couldn't follow the hype about the fact Vasseur should've kept him. Most of the year he's mid. Hamilton will clearly bring something on Sunday he still has an incredible race pace. On the hard he was lapping 0.6s faster than his teamate and was matching Verstappen's times
They ran a big fat rear wing while RB and Mclaren were running Australia-spec wings.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

bananapeel23 wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:34
Spoutnik wrote:
CouncilorIrissa wrote:

They ran a big fat rear wing while RB and Mclaren were running Australia-spec wings.
Okay so it's not an issue with the drag of the overall concept ?

Xyz22
Xyz22

Leclerc again extremely smart in the first stint, introducing the medium tyres quite slowly.
Sainz had to push to stay in DRS, but that hurt him quite a lot through the stint.

I also don't understand why people are surprised. This is average gap between Leclerc and Sainz usually. In some races it was masked by different strategies, traffic, etc.

In some tracks Carlos is super strong as well and would be difficult for everyone to beat.

bananapeel23

Spoutnik wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:35
bananapeel23 wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:34
Spoutnik wrote:

Okay so it's not an issue with the drag of the overall concept ?
My understanding is that the ferrari is maybe a tad draggier than the Mclaren and Red Bull, but not by a large margin at all. Certainly nowhere near a 2022 or 2023 level top speed deficit where Red Bull could afford to run a big ol' rear wing in Monza and still have near-parity in top speed.

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:37
Not a bad race, good pace on Hards, Leclerc pushing to the limit and a slight understeer cost him a bit. I guess he slowed down and cruised afterwards.

Sainz was a bit slower than expected this weekend. Strategy was ok, worth waiting a bit to see if there's a V/SC period. Good points haul, not maximised again, bit now that all 3 teams are closer it won't be possible to maximise everywhere like first 4 races
He slowed down and cruising cause he understand that can not overtake Lando, or he "ate" the tires???
If is the first one, I am more than satisfied with the performance.
I think is the first one, he suddenly backed off and keep that tempo.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

what did you guys think of new race engineer for leclerc? i thought he did a good job.. seems like they will mesh well together.

Xyz22
Xyz22

FDD wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:44
Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:37
Not a bad race, good pace on Hards, Leclerc pushing to the limit and a slight understeer cost him a bit. I guess he slowed down and cruised afterwards.

Sainz was a bit slower than expected this weekend. Strategy was ok, worth waiting a bit to see if there's a V/SC period. Good points haul, not maximised again, bit now that all 3 teams are closer it won't be possible to maximise everywhere like first 4 races
He slowed down and cruising cause he understand that can not overtake Lando, or he "ate" the tires???
If is the first one, I am more than satisfied with the performance.
I think is the first one, he suddenly backed off and keep that tempo.
Leclerc didn't back off at all (outside the last 2 laps). Norris started lapping in 20.1 and even did a 19.9. He was in another league.

scuderiabrandon

Fakepivot wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:45
what did you guys think of new race engineer for leclerc? i thought he did a good job.. seems like they will mesh well together.
After today, I don't know why this switch wasn't made earlier. It is impossible to tell that this was his first race. No nerves, clear concise direct. Never missed a beat.

bananapeel23

Fakepivot wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:45
I can barely hear the difference between him and Xavi. They sound almost the same, except that the new guy doesn't have an accent quite as thick.

I think it's far too early to judge, and even then I think it's hard to judge since what determines whether a race engineer is good or not isn't just how he does on track, but also how they communicate off track and their personal chemistry.

jambuka
jambuka

Why is the team adding more wing than others every race and compromising top speed ? They should take the risk of reducing the wing.

dani5549
dani5549

jambuka wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:15
Why is the team adding more wing than others every race and compromising top speed ? They should take the risk of reducing the wing.
I remember the same approach in the beginning of 2022 too