2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rijtuig
rijtuig

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Race day is where them points are distributed.

Relax.

Elite
Elite

He's usually less than a tenth behind. Hardly catastrophic

Lewis needs to stop this self doubt and comparing himself to some 18 year old who binned it.

He said in Monaco he doesn't think he'll be ahead in qualifying this year. So it's basically a self fulfilling prophecy now. He needs to get in the mindset he'll be ahead.

Matt2725
Matt2725

Mosin123 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:33
Matt2725 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:14

Or maybe George is an extremely good qualifier? Perhaps the best on the grid at the moment.
He is good. Very good. Perhaps the best on the grid yes that is true. But it is unrelated to Lewis' natural (age) and unnatural decline (Covid + Abu Dhabi blues).
i think its more AD blues personally, i think he feels Mercades let him down by not challanging the result, because in the end, all that happened was the FIA admitted a mistake happened and LH still lost out on a title and Mercades waved away any right to protest just to get the FIA to admit what every body aready knew...... Thats some hurt
I'm 99% certain it was reported that LH was the one who called off the protest over AD.
bluechris wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 19:51
Give Lewis a car that can win and you will see him stand out.
Give the top 10 drivers on the grid a car that can win and you'll see them do something with it. The car was clearly good enough for pole/front row and here we are.

Alex_Z
Alex_Z

Matt2725 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 20:44
Mosin123 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

He is good. Very good. Perhaps the best on the grid yes that is true. But it is unrelated to Lewis' natural (age) and unnatural decline (Covid + Abu Dhabi blues).
i think its more AD blues personally, i think he feels Mercades let him down by not challanging the result, because in the end, all that happened was the FIA admitted a mistake happened and LH still lost out on a title and Mercades waved away any right to protest just to get the FIA to admit what every body aready knew...... Thats some hurt
I'm 99% certain it was reported that LH was the one who called off the protest over AD.
bluechris wrote:
Give the top 10 drivers on the grid a car that can win and you'll see them do something with it. The car was clearly good enough for pole/front row and here we are.
Why didn't the 'best qualifier on the grid' achieve pole/front row if that's the case

Mosin123
Mosin123

Matt2725 wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

bluechris wrote:
He did, But just cause you say some thing doesnt mean that is what he really feels. its just as likely he was talked out of it for f1 political reasons for merc. you can never tell with LH's need for acceptance and to be viewed as a great champion, he most likely didnt want to ruffle the feathers of f1 while he holds 7 titles, ofc, things can change, guess it depends on how the Massa triall goes, LH did say he was keenly watching it.

Luscion
Luscion

From listening to this interview it seems very much like his driving style just doesnt work with these cars and tires and its something he's been trying to fix, saying how he thinks he might be overdriving to compensate in quali. Also very much seems like he's in his head about it which probably isnt helping. Surprised to see him this upset with himself but i guess its probably the first/one of the few times there were no issues with the car and it was just on him not putting the lap together

Last edited by Luscion on 31 Aug 2024, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

bluechris

Matt2725 wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

bluechris wrote:
Yeah, we see with Perez how this goes :)

Matt2725
Matt2725

bluechris wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 22:26
Matt2725 wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:

bluechris wrote:
I said top 10.

Alex_Z wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 21:19
Why didn't the 'best qualifier on the grid' achieve pole/front row if that's the case
He was a few thousands from the front row. You can only make do with the tools you have, but George is easily putting that car in places it perhaps shouldn't always merit.
Lewis looked better with Bottas next to him, because Bottas was rarely faster in qualifying. A HAM/BOT pairing would have probably seen a P6/P8 start tomorrow, a Lewis would be giving it "that's the best we can achieve" etc.

j_ste
j_ste

Matt2725 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 01:00
bluechris wrote:
Matt2725 wrote:

I said top 10.

Alex_Z wrote:
He was a few thousands from the front row. You can only make do with the tools you have, but George is easily putting that car in places it perhaps shouldn't always merit.
Lewis looked better with Bottas next to him, because Bottas was rarely faster in qualifying. A HAM/BOT pairing would have probably seen a P6/P8 start tomorrow, a Lewis would be giving it "that's the best we can achieve" etc.
he quite clearly wouldn’t have because the telemetry would obviously tell them that they could have got more than your hypothetical, 6-8.

Lewis has always been pretty honest about where he has failed. Often too honest and maybe too dramatic about it at times. He is kinda doing both now.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Matt2725 wrote:
bluechris wrote:
Matt2725 wrote:

I said top 10.

Alex_Z wrote:
Was LH not also a few thousands from the front row too? you cant be ok with one, and then not the other. even more so seeing as ham got his start to his qual lap messed up by Max, and Perez, GR got a decent tow... The tow could well be the difference betweem them, we are talking just 0.073 MS... i remember CL saying monza tow was worth several tenths... ive seen others mention the tow is worth between 0.300 - 0.500 ms, so losing by only 0.073 when the tow is worth upwards of 0.200 ms i think is pretty decent.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Mosin123 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 10:47
Matt2725 wrote:
bluechris wrote:

I said top 10.

Alex_Z wrote:
Was LH not also a few thousands from the front row too? you cant be ok with one, and then not the other. even more so seeing as ham got his start to his qual lap messed up by Max, and Perez, GR got a decent tow... The tow could well be the difference betweem them, we are talking just 0.073 MS... i remember CL saying monza tow was worth several tenths... ive seen others mention the tow is worth between 0.300 - 0.500 ms, so losing by only 0.073 when the tow is worth upwards of 0.200 ms i think is pretty decent.
Data doesn't suggest tow effect. They were pretty even in terms of their time and speed until turn 1.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Dunlay wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:03
Mosin123 wrote:
Matt2725 wrote:

I said top 10.

Data doesn't suggest tow effect. They were pretty even in terms of their time and speed until turn 1.

https://i.postimg.cc/nz168b8H/laps-compared.png
that shows GR slows down more for the final corner, then gains speed faster, to eventually be faster... you sure you are looking at it right?

Dunlay
Dunlay

Mosin123 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:12
Dunlay wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:

that shows GR slows down more for the final corner, then gains speed faster, to eventually be faster... you sure you are looking at it right?
George went with trail braking into the last corner, whereas Lewis braked late, but one full press of the pedal. While trail braking helped stabilize the car to get a good exit speed (minimum speed in the corner 214kph) for George, by sacrificing entry speed, Lewis's aggressive late braking lost him time (minimum speed in the corner was 204kph). George's highest speed for the last corner before he went braking was 296kph, whereas Lewis's highest speed was 316kph. That's 20kph more that Lewis carried, hence required far more aggressive braking to slow down and stabilize. That's where he lost time.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Dunlay wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:18
Mosin123 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:12
Dunlay wrote:

George went with trail braking into the last corner, whereas Lewis braked late, but one full press of the pedal. While trail braking helped stabilize the car to get a good exit speed for George, by sacrificing entry speed, Lewis's aggressive late braking lost him time. George's highest speed for the last corner before he went braking was 296kph, whereas Lewis's highest speed was 316kph. That's 20kph more that Lewis carried, hence required far more aggressive braking to slow down and stabilize. That's where he lost time.
Im talking about at the start of the flying laps, before GR reaches the start line, He has a ( Small ) tow from Max, around the final corner, and up untill just before the pit exit, although small, he would have gained an advantage.

LH was still poor into turn 1, it was a poor q3 for LH. not disputing that, Just saying that even though LH was poor, he is still just 0.073 behind. a poor lap from LH is just 0.073 slower than GRs had car in sweet spot and did a great lap ( as said by GR )

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:59
I am not enjoying this old, covid-riddled, Abu-dhabi'd, version of Lewis. Ever since he got Covid his one lap pace has lost out a bit and the abu-dhabi saga has put bigger dent in him.
I would wait until he joins Ferrari to judge whether he can still go fast on Saturdays tbh.

I don't really trust Mercedes to allow him to finish in front of George if they have the power to stop it happening.

Drivers always seem to perform differently when the team have their backs, vs being released with incorrect tyre temps in quali/not informing you that you're racing your teammate for a win/etc.