2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

organic wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 14:13
mendis wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 14:12
The race appears to be between the two Ferraris and Max. Charles appears to be the faster of the two Ferraris on both single lap and long runs.
Do you have any long run numbers to hand?
I don't have it compiled, will wait for someone to post on twitter.
Based on the live timing on F1 app, Soft tyre doesn't seem to be a faster tyre.
Mediums is and on Medium runs, Lewis was doing low to mid 1m40s.
Perez was doing high 1m39s to low 1m40s.
Sainz was doing mid to high 1m39s.
Charles and Max doing high 1m38s to low 1m39s. They were to only two to do a couple of laps in 1m38s.

organic

As expected, graining on a track with little grip and cold has appeared in these free practice sessions. Some teams have suffered it more than others. In medium and soft, and in both axles.

organic

Long runs at the end. Max's pace on the mediums was consistent and strong and improving lap upon lap, but only a couple of tenths in it between him and Charles I'd say. Charles less consistent on the medium despite bringing in gently

search

No idea how much of a difference it made, but both Ferrari did their long run on new mediums while Verstappen's were 13 laps old at the start of it.

organic

search wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 14:51
No idea how much of a difference it made, but both Ferrari did their long run on new mediums while Verstappen's were 13 laps old at the start of it.

https://i.imgur.com/WToOjXp.png
Ricciardo's pace looks wildly good there.. 3rd quickest in Fp2 long run I'd estimate?

Cassius
Cassius

search wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 14:51

https://i.imgur.com/WToOjXp.png
Interesting that Ham was saying he was not worried about their tyre deg as everyone was having deg issues. But the fact he was sliding all around and had no rears left after only 12 laps on the mediums is worrying. You could clearly see the sliding on Max' onboard before Ham pitted for softs).

Presumably, the track is prepared to FIA specification? Which makes the inspection covers nonsense of FP1 the FIAs primary fault?
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Stu

Mogster wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 12:37
organic wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 12:26
Where do you stop? How about damage from kerbs?
One is driver induced, the other is an infrastructure issue.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

basti313
basti313

Stu wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:19
Mogster wrote:
organic wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 12:26
Yes...but...once you add a "force majeure" rule on damages, the stewards have to start interpreting it. Once they start interpreting any rule it is usually funny. If they would have a very strict wording, the seldom case will not fit...so it needs to be a bit wider.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Mogster

basti313 wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:53
Stu wrote:
Mogster wrote:

Yes...but...once you add a "force majeure" rule on damages, the stewards have to start interpreting it. Once they start interpreting any rule it is usually funny. If they would have a very strict wording, the seldom case will not fit...so it needs to be a bit wider.
That’s my concern.

I remember Russell’s Williams being destroyed by a drain cover at Baku 2019. Did Williams get any reparations from the organisers?

falonso81

Bill wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 13:45
falonso81 wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 12:47
Teams should at this point, ditch the FIA/Liberty Media clowns and make their own championship. Strike deals with historic tracks and let them enjoy their empty "street" tracks. I do not think drivers really enjoy this "show" that Liberty Media is pushing through.
you cant grow sport on historical tracks that world view is past its sell date.these old western countries are broke.return ing to asia make more sense ,like china ,malaysia and south korea had good tracks.
I am all in for tracks in Asia (Sepang, Shanghai and even Yeongam) are far better circuits than these wannabe F1 circuits in the US and the Middle East. I get it that its all about money, but a balance needs to be found, or else these newly aquired so called F1 fans will outgrow this "show" pretty soon.

mendis
mendis

falonso81 wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 16:04
Bill wrote:
falonso81 wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 12:47
Teams should at this point, ditch the FIA/Liberty Media clowns and make their own championship. Strike deals with historic tracks and let them enjoy their empty "street" tracks. I do not think drivers really enjoy this "show" that Liberty Media is pushing through.
you cant grow sport on historical tracks that world view is past its sell date.these old western countries are broke.return ing to asia make more sense ,like china ,malaysia and south korea had good tracks.
I am all in for tracks in Asia (Sepang, Shanghai and even Yeongam) are far better circuits than these wannabe F1 circuits in the US and the Middle East. I get it that its all about money, but a balance needs to be found, or else these newly aquired so called F1 fans will outgrow this "show" pretty soon.
There will always be new fans. More than 90% of the current moaning old fans will continue to watch. Racing is business and it's all about money. People have an obsession for racing and teams have obsession for money. The show will go on. Despite watching F1 for almost 3 decades, I like any new, fast and racy circuit that comes up on calendar, regardless of which geography it comes from and I don't miss the ones that are gone from the calendar. Hopefully Hungary and Monaco would be gone soon.

SiLo

mendis wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 16:26
falonso81 wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 16:04
Bill wrote:

There will always be new fans. More than 90% of the current moaning old fans will continue to watch. Racing is business and it's all about money. People have an obsession for racing and teams have obsession for money. The show will go on. Despite watching F1 for almost 3 decades, I like any new, fast and racy circuit that comes up on calendar, regardless of which geography it comes from and I don't miss the ones that are gone from the calendar. Hopefully Hungary and Monaco would be gone soon.
I'm an old moany fan, just waiting to make a judgement on the actual track itself.

The show so far, has been shocking though, and sounds like fans have had a really bad experience.
Felipe Baby!

chrstphrln

Mogster wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 16:03
basti313 wrote:
Stu wrote:

That’s my concern.

I remember Russell’s Williams being destroyed by a drain cover at Baku 2019. Did Williams get any reparations from the organisers?
But you are now mixing things that have nothing to do with each other.
First and foremost, it's about the grid penalty for replacing the battery, which was destroyed by "force majeure".
It's about the sporting regulations and not about financial compensation.
There was no Cost Cap in 2019, so it is not relevant whether Williams was compensated by insurance or anyone else.
And there was no grip penalty.

If it is true that Mercedes voted against it, it is gross unsportsmanlike behavior. To Toto, one would want teams to remember this behavior in a similar situation and make him pay appropriately for it.

basti313
basti313

chrstphrln wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 16:35
Mogster wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 16:03
basti313 wrote:

That’s my concern.

But you are now mixing things that have nothing to do with each other.
First and foremost, it's about the grid penalty for replacing the battery, which was destroyed by "force majeure".
It's about the sporting regulations and not about financial compensation.
There was no Cost Cap in 2019, so it is not relevant whether Williams was compensated by insurance or anyone else.
And there was no grip penalty.

If it is true that Mercedes voted against it, it is gross unsportsmanlike behavior. To Toto, one would want teams to remember this behavior in a similar situation and make him pay appropriately for it.
No, I think it is most probably relevant:
It should be the standard that the track authorities exclude any liabilities. Otherwise they would be in big ****, just think about any issue you can generate from sand killing an engine down to a deadly crash into a weak barrier.
So responsible is always the team and driver and if you remember Senna...even the team has very limited liabilities.
That being said and adding the above that any number you write on a defective F1 car part is a wrong number...there is no monetary refunds. Period.

So everything really boils down to the grid penalty. I do not see a voting, that was not mentioned by the stewards. So it comes all down to the stewards deciding.
Now would they decide that the man hole is "force majeure"....would Hamilton have hit the same hole and now has strange data on the engine? Is there a scratch on Ocon`s battery as well? May have the surge from the battery have done harm to the ERS...so Ferrari now needs to change the full engine unfortunately?

If they could vote for "force majeure" it would immediately get ridiculous I fear...it will not end at a new battery for Sainz.
Don`t russel the hamster!