2026 Aerodynamic & Chassis Regulations

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
r85
r85

Re: 2026 Aerodynamic & Chassis Regulations

Is there a chance that we'll see aggressive rake angles return with the flat floors or is that only possible with the complex suspension from the previous regs?

FW17

Today is the day for signoff of the new regulations, is there any talk about it?

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 07:35
bhall II wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 01:59
I'm mainly just ranting. :D

It's been quite some time since I've followed F1 closely. I just happened upon those FIA renderings of the '26 regulations, and it irritated me a bit to see just how much of an about-face they represent after everything else basically killed my fandom.

"Ooops" lol
Unfortunately, those front wings are about the only thing that's common with cars from 20 years ago. Tight chassis regulations will lead to a field of identical-looking cars already in 2027, the only way to distinguish them will be an occasional different-looking airbox :(
Although the boxes might be kind of restrictive, I think the wording of the regulation is a bit more open than in the current cars. There's a lot less restriction of sections in Y and X plane in both the floor and the endplate/footplate parts

MIKEY_!

Any early thoughts from our aero gurus about the key challenges for this aero ruleset?

For example, how to treat the vortex coming off the top of the floor edge inwash fin/bargeboard - try to move it inwards or outwards relative to the floor edge, try to strengthen it or weaken it, try to draw it under the floor or exclude it at all costs? Lots of possibilities I'm not qualified to guess at.

I'm sure some of you have plans to post cfd when you get time, but I'm interested in any first impressions in the interim.

Vanja #66

MIKEY_! wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 08:34
For example, how to treat the vortex coming off the top of the floor edge inwash fin/bargeboard - try to move it inwards or outwards relative to the floor edge, try to strengthen it or weaken it, try to draw it under the floor or exclude it at all costs? Lots of possibilities I'm not qualified to guess at.
This will be one of the big questions of early 2026, different teams will have different approaches. Impossible to say anything now, all teams will run multiple solutions on January 1st 2025 :mrgreen:

In theory it should have an outward top side rotation, meaning it could potentially draw turbulence inside the diffuser as it expands and gets closer to rear tyre if it strong enough. This is the opposite rotation of the floor edge vortex that is formed by floor fences on cars today.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

what's happened to the 'active aero' ?

mzso
mzso

So what are the regs? Whatever the final draft was?