2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
saputra_25
saputra_25

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

what is our chance in Hungaroring? with most recent upgrade on MCL60, it should have generate decent downforce level for that twisty corners. I don't expect them to challenge for a podium, but if they can be in top 8 ahead of Aston and Alpine, that is already a success.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

PikeStance wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 10:59
It actually did matter. Piastri boxed during race speed while Hamilton boxed during SC. It put Hamilton in 3rd. Piastri was comfortably in their as well.

I was listening to a podcast and they seem to think if he had a few more laps Piastri might have caught Hamilton and most likely passed him.
Yes, Piastri lost P3 because of VSC/SC.

I was challenging the idea that race director choosing to go with VSC first was the reason why Piastri lost out to Hamilton. I don't think that was the case although it is hard to say how things would turn out. My opinion is that top runners would still manage to pit and emerge behind the SC before Piastri.

djos

I could be wrong, but it looked to me like the delay going to full SC gave those who stopped during the actual SC period an advantage.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 10:24
runningmanz wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 09:04
Apparently we had a rear suspension update as well at Silverstone? Amazing how many updates are coming. Heard more suspension update(s) for Hungary too. Can anyone confirm?

IIRC it's only the fairing that covers the suspension that changed - for aero performance...
Ah ok. Interested to see what we have for Hungary. Still all the suspension/ mechanical side to look at as well going forward. Seems like we have a high development ceiling to explore and look how fast we were already just with the big aero updates. New wind tunnel and other infrastructure, increased CFD and tunnel time, it's all starting to look VERY positive finally.

mclaren111

McL-H wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:31
I felt like Lewis was flirting with McLaren today. Calling it his family even. He is still without a contract for next season if I’m not mistaken. I mean, we have a great driver pairing and we don’t need any change, but if Lando were to leave for Red Bull or Ferrari, I’d really enjoy seeing Lewis end his career where it all started.

Also, I was wondering today.. does anyone know why we never get to see Ron Dennis anymore? I mean, he never visits a GP, is never a guest in the pitbox. A legend gone and forgotten, just like that? Is that his decision or is he just not welcome anymore?

Hell No... Don't want that tw*t anywhere near us...

michl420
michl420

djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 02:47
w
Epic drive by Lando and very good drive by Oscar too. Overall, a great day for the team.

It's just a shame that once again the incompetent race director showed he's out of his depth! I mean c'mon, there's a car on fire, on the track, and you call for a VSC instead of a full safety car! FFS, that completely screwed Oscars race and cost him a podium. :evil:
VSC gives the race director time to understand the situation. Also a fire like that could be off in 20 sec and than pull the car through a escape road in 1 minute. If this damned trackes would have gaps in the guide rail there would be 2 laps under VSC and thats it. :x

djos

michl420 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 11:57
djos wrote:
w
Epic drive by Lando and very good drive by Oscar too. Overall, a great day for the team.

It's just a shame that once again the incompetent race director showed he's out of his depth! I mean c'mon, there's a car on fire, on the track, and you call for a VSC instead of a full safety car! FFS, that completely screwed Oscars race and cost him a podium. :evil:
VSC gives the race director time to understand the situation. Also a fire like that could be off in 20 sec and than pull the car through a escape road in 1 minute. If this damned trackes would have gaps in the guide rail there would be 2 laps under VSC and thats it. :x
What was to understand, a burning car was stopped on track and needed to be recovered. Even the commentators seemed surprised it wasn’t an instant SC call.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 11:43
I could be wrong, but it looked to me like the delay going to full SC gave those who stopped during the actual SC period an advantage.
Yes that is what he's saying, that Piastri lost out to Hamilton due to the SC advantage.

it's one of those things. I agree though that it was odd to go to VSC and them to SC, it seemed fairly clear that an SC was required to remove that car.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

So I didn't even realize, but Lando was running without the gurney and Oscar was thus the downforce differential between the two in the high speed... and to be honest that was a perfect scenario for the first stint. Looking at the telemetry, Oscar didn't lose as much lap time on the straights cause he was able to stay in Lando's split stream whilst maintaining downforce in the corners.

michl420
michl420

djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:00
michl420 wrote:
djos wrote:
w

VSC gives the race director time to understand the situation. Also a fire like thwat could be off in 20 sec and than pull the car through a escape road in 1 minute. If this damned trackes would have gaps in the guide rail there would be 2 laps under VSC and thats it. :x
What was to understand, a burning car was stopped on track and needed to be recovered. Even the commentators seemed surprised it wasn’t an instant SC call.
It is to understand if there is a 2 min fire and the car stay in gear, or you can push it immediatly with one hand off track.

mclaren111

organic wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 00:10
What tracks do we think the car will suit then? It seems to be at least on par in most higher speed corners

I'm thinking Japan will be good..

I think it's impossible / too early to say now with this large an upgrade... Stella said tyre degradation might still be an issue...

But if the aero improves eveything the tyre issues might be improved with setup changes... Let's hope...

djos

michl420 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:08
djos wrote:
michl420 wrote:
VSC gives the race director time to understand the situation. Also a fire like thwat could be off in 20 sec and than pull the car through a escape road in 1 minute. If this damned trackes would have gaps in the guide rail there would be 2 laps under VSC and thats it. :x
It is to understand if there is a 2 min fire and the car stay in gear, or you can push it immediatly with one hand off track.
Go back and look at the footage, there is nowhere in that section to push a car. Besides, the fire was at the back of the car, do you want the marshals to get burned?
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

michl420 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:08
djos wrote:
michl420 wrote:
Would those stewards be safe coming on to the track under a VSC to push a car, let alone that it might be on Fire? Are the cars going around safe under a VSC if there is a car on fire on the track?

Not sure the answer is yes to either of them in my view.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

McL-H wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:31
I felt like Lewis was flirting with McLaren today. Calling it his family even. He is still without a contract for next season if I’m not mistaken. I mean, we have a great driver pairing and we don’t need any change, but if Lando were to leave for Red Bull or Ferrari, I’d really enjoy seeing Lewis end his career where it all started.
Lewis has and always will be a McLaren fan at heart. I wouldn't read much more into it than that. I think for the time being Lando is fairly happy at McLaren. As far as Red Bull goes? If they decide to replace Perez, then I expect they'll go with Riccardo rather than have to buy Lando out of his McLaren contract.

I think McLaren have one of the strongest driver line ups on the grid. Lando showed his racecraft yesterday against Lewis on the restart and there is a lot of promise with Oscar, who wasn't phased by running in the top 5, no silly rookie mistakes.
Also, I was wondering today.. does anyone know why we never get to see Ron Dennis anymore? I mean, he never visits a GP, is never a guest in the pitbox. A legend gone and forgotten, just like that? Is that his decision or is he just not welcome anymore?
Likely his decision, I doubt he'd have much interest in visiting the F1 paddock these days. Especially after he was pretty much forced out of McLaren.

eurwynf1
eurwynf1

Just got back from Silverstone, unbelievable! The car came alive from Saturday, Piastri looked more stable than Norris in the slower stuff, Norris seemed to have oversteer on exit a lot. So proud of the team for the turnaround, It's been a long while since I've had a podium at Silverstone. Also the car looks amazing in the flesh :D