2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ecapox

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes Alonso too!)

If Alonso's main focus is to get more money, and be the top dog, then leave.
If his main focus is to be able to have a chance at another title, i'd say stay.

unknown Honda engine variable.
unknown McLaren chasis variable (this year's car sucks...even with a Mercedes engine).

I predict it will take at least 2-3 years, and i'd guess more like 5, to get a McLaren Honda back on the top step of the podium.

Either way i believe his choice has already been made....just not announced.

Andres125sx

I know it will hardly happen, but I´d love if Alonso sign in with Williams

Andres125sx

About McLaren, that´s a risky move IMO, but reality is the only safe move would be Mercedes, so if that´s not possible, any other team is a risky bet

Phil

I'm pretty much with Turbo. Yes, the Honda engine is an unknown. I'd even go as far to say that it's highly probably that McLaren will not be challenging for wins next year. But I'd put more weight in the certainty that Ferrari will be neither. Alonso has been at Ferrari for 5 seasons now - he knows the team, he knows what they are capable of.

McLaren, although struggling for the past 2 seasons, has usually been very good at producing quick cars. If reliability wasn't a factor, I'm pretty sure they would have wrapped it up in 2012 with Lewis at the wheel. They might not have been close in 2011, but even so, in both 2010 and 2011, they've been getting wins and pretty close to Ferrari.

IMO - I think McLaren's struggles are partly because of their two drivers. I'm not convinced Button can lead a team that is struggling (his operating window seems to be very narrow, only being able to produce the best in a car he likes) and Magnussen, even if he is quick, is too young and inexperienced. Bring Alonso on board and I think we may see a similar outcome like 2010 - 2012 where Hamilton and Button were close in terms of overal performance. I think with a better car and Alonso at his side, Button could find back to very strong consistent form. Add Prodromou to the mix and they just might be able to sort out their problems by 2016. I think this team, with Alonso, has the potential to do rather well (well being perhaps podium contender, if not more). That potential IMO is better than the near certainty of Ferrari failing to deliver a WDC winning car within the next 2 years.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FW17

Will Alonso want button in the team? If not who will be a good 2nd driver

SunsAnvil
SunsAnvil

Why would Alonso be against a pairing with Button. Clearly he would drive rings around either of the current Mclaren drivers so wouldn't feel threatened. A car that is easy for Button to drive would be very easy for ALonso to handle. I think that pairing would be somewhat like having Webber and Vettel. There might be moments where JB would upstage Alonso but it would be clear who is the top dog regardless of what the team or media says about it.

smr
smr

So what I've heard from REPUTABLE sources today... and the last few days...

Alonso confirmed @ Mclaren on 35 million euros salary. Honda have paid Ferrari off the 15 million euros they owe pre contract break up..

Sebastian Vettel is to be united with Kimi Raikonnen @ Ferrari in a deal which was going to be 2016+ but is now being fast tracked and he will be confirmed in the coming days as joining the Tifosi...

and the latest and most intriguing (being a jenson fan ) is that button is off to Red Bull =P~

Danlizzyman
Danlizzyman

Just heard on German radio that Vettel is on his way to Ferrari. Just heard it in the background and my German is not 100% so don't have all the details but that much was clearly stated...

McLobby

Button at RedBull? :o :o :shock: :shock:
I wish that is true.... :?

spadeflush

Regarding Alonso, make the announcement already! Dont know what to make of the other rumors but Button to Red Bull is funny
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

zeph
zeph

F1 is boring. Thank God the silly season makes up for it. :mrgreen:

dmjunqueira

What do you think that this tweet from Honda Racing is suggesting? https://twitter.com/HondaRacing_HPD/sta ... 0844358657

Bob Brown

LOL all the people that doubted PitLaneTalk have started eating crow and will be done by the end of the Suzuka GP.

Kimi & Vettel at Ferrari will surely bring some great in-team racing. Ferrari already signed Vettel's ex-engineer from Toro Rosso.

Sasha
Sasha

Whispers floating around Honda halls is Alonso will be at Mclaren in 2015.

Now all they have to do is get Vettel in 2016.

Flash back to 88,89 with the two best drivers on the same team,even when they crash each other,it makes such good drama(PR).Most of the news would be on Mclaren Honda...that would be the cheapest ad budget(drivers salaries) for Honda Globally!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

dmjunqueira wrote:What do you think that this tweet from Honda Racing is suggesting?
https://twitter.com/HondaRacing_HPD/sta ... 0844358657
14. Fernando Alonso

couldn't be much clearer.

-

Vettel to the Reds in 2015 imho is total media craze and just going with media flow, nothing more.
Yeah i'm quite positive either he or hamilton will end up at Ferrari soon. However, despite contracts can be
broken/paid off - first of all, Vettel has a RedBull contract. Second of all, I'm seriously doubtfull whether people
are really 'ready' to bind Seb to their team untill he's adapted or becomes level with Ricciardo.
Vettel doesn't seem to 'like' or 'fit' the 2014 style F1. He had a great performance in singapore, and i'd like to see
more of that. But it's no secret Vettel was king with the insane EBD RedBull.

Since we'll not be having that anymore, why would the Reds contract Vettel and go for huge risk?

Nah, 2015 = Raikkonen-Bianchi, 2016 will be either Vettel-Bianchi or Hamilton-Bianchi.
If Hamilton goes to Ferrari, Vettel to Mercedes. I could even see both Hamilton and Vettel at Ferrari.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"