Aston Martin AMR24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wiktor977
wiktor977

Re: Aston Martin AMR24

One thing that I have looked more into are DRS actuators, more specifically carbon casings that they are hidden in. Aston uses a very big structure most teams are not even close in comparison. At first, I thought that this might create more drag and reduce rear wing efficiency but later I thought that a bigger vertical surface in this area might help with creating more downforce under yaw. Am I wrong? What do guys you think?

AM/McLaren/Alpine/Ferrari at Monza

Waz
Waz

wiktor977 wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 23:00
One thing that I have looked more into are DRS actuators, more specifically carbon casings that they are hidden in. Aston uses a very big structure most teams are not even close in comparison. At first, I thought that this might create more drag and reduce rear wing efficiency but later I thought that a bigger vertical surface in this area might help with creating more downforce under yaw. Am I wrong? What do guys you think?

https://i.postimg.cc/pTwvSqxv/monza-drs-act.jpg
Good spot. Mimicking the old shark fin effect on a small scale?

diffuser

Waz wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 11:18
wiktor977 wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 23:00

https://i.postimg.cc/pTwvSqxv/monza-drs-act.jpg
Good spot. Mimicking the old shark fin effect on a small scale?
From the side it looks bigger, but from the front does it actually occupy any more vertical or horizontal space ? Not sure the difference in size is from the side gonna help much with stability in a spin. Might help clean up the air.

abhi1200
abhi1200

Rear wing @Baku

mwillems

Afternoon all. The car that has been brought to Baku..

Definitely quite a small wing on the car right now.

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

KimiRai
KimiRai

SSJ4
SSJ4

Some from a wire to connecting to the sidepod now there’s one connecting to floor/floor edge. What purpose would that be for?

bananapeel23

SSJ4 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 20:04
Some from a wire to connecting to the sidepod now there’s one connecting to floor/floor edge. What purpose would that be for?
To stop the floor edge from flexing and flapping up and down, which can lead to porpoising or other unpredictable and undesireable effects on floor performance.

It’s a crude solution that increases drag, but can save on floor weight and leads to more predictable performance.

diffuser

Alonso didn't run the string in FP1

or FP2 ...

diffuser

Harder to tell on Lance, the pictures aren't as good ...

FP1

FP2

KimiRai
KimiRai

KimiRai wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 20:03
Aston Martin have tried different floor specs between Alo & Stroll according to Motorsport.