2024 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 19 - 21

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mogster

Re: 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 19 - 21

Hamilton wasn’t being investigated. He was arguing Max shouldn’t have a penalty.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Hamilton got no damage and finished in P3. I doubt he'd say it was racing incident if his tyre rim blew and Verstappen went on to finish P3.

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

chrisc90 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:27
morefirejules08 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:26
Luscion wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:20

Both Lewis and Horner wanted it to be a racing incident, they got what they wanted. Both sides most likely argued in favour of no punishment for max to the stewards
You are most likely correct, if Hamilton hadn’t expressed his belief it was a racing incident I suspect max would have been given a penalty
Well it would be silly for him to argue against his podium spot really wouldnt it.
Because Hamilton was getting a penalty for locking up and driving into another car, oh wait that was max.

Luscion
Luscion

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:42
Hamilton got no damage and finished in P3. I doubt he'd say it was racing incident if his tyre rim blew and Verstappen went on to finish P3.
of course not he would be arguing for a penalty 100%, but he gains nothing from Max getting a penalty. Even if Max got a penalty George finished too far behind to benefit from it

chrisc90

morefirejules08 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:43
chrisc90 wrote:
morefirejules08 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:26

You are most likely correct, if Hamilton hadn’t expressed his belief it was a racing incident I suspect max would have been given a penalty
Well it would be silly for him to argue against his podium spot really wouldnt it.
Because Hamilton was getting a penalty for locking up and driving into another car, oh wait that was max.
What is Hamilton going to say other than a racing incident? I moved across under braking to cover Max off (which he did BTW) As that would be an admission of guilt.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:02
Lap 62:

https://i.postimg.cc/y6y4mcD1/lap-62.gif
Which is basically the same as Max did to Lewis on lap 1. So...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:46
morefirejules08 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

What is Hamilton going to say other than a racing incident? I moved across under braking to cover Max off (which he did BTW) As that would be an admission of guilt.
But Hamilton wasn't under investigation. Max was. Hamilton actually helped Max out by saying racing incident. If he'd gone in with tears streaming from his eyes crying foul then Max might well have been penalised. But Hamilton didn't. He simply played a neutral hand that didn't incriminate Max at all.

So Max is complaining at and about his team (who work their arses off for him) and about a competitor who did a version of the Moss Defence and helped him out. The real man shows himself.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:50
chrisc90 wrote:
morefirejules08 wrote:

But Hamilton wasn't under investigation. Max was. Hamilton actually helped Max out by saying racing incident. If he'd gone in with tears streaming from his eyes crying foul then Max might well have been penalised. But Hamilton didn't. He simply played a neutral hand that didn't incriminate Max at all.

So Max is complaining at and about his team (who work their arses off for him) and about a competitor who did a version of the Moss Defence and helped him out. The real man shows himself.
I mean the fact that only 1 driver being investigated (but called to give their account) means they cant be given a penalty?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Mattchu wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:14
What happened to "let them race"?

Just call it a racing incident and move on! It really is getting pathetic...
"Let them race" applies only to Max - it was a Horner sound bite after all. Anyone else is allowed to race Max. He gets all sweary on the radio when they do.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I mean the fact that only 1 driver being investigated (but called to give their account) means they cant be given a penalty?
Yes driver 1 [Max] was being investigated. Driver 44 [Lewis] was called as a witness.

RacePaceDemon

I don't usually point obvious things out but the cope by Max fans in here is so sweet :lol:

He was raced today how he has been racing others for years and he: went off at the start, went off track trying to overtake, cried on the radio like a school child and then crashed into Hamilton.

It's fine to admit your driver made a mistake, they all do. I've criticised Hamilton for his quali form and been ecstatic when he's pulled great performances like today and 2 weeks ago.

But the mind games and just nonsense being said in here takes away a lot of quality in discussions and makes some commenters less credible in more technical discussions as they are not prone to just making up information.

And Max today was just embarrassing, it feels like the team is falling apart a bit, even GP who normally takes the brunt of max's sometimes righteous rage was not having it today. He needs to remember it's Red Bull Racing not Verstappen GP...

Anyway aside from that, 200 podiums from the GOAT :mrgreen: clinical drive today I didn't expect that. McLaren need to sort out their strategy because today was woeful. I feel bad for Piastri because he didn't seem as happy as he should've, but maybe that's just his iceman persona...

The RB20 seems to be a bit lost, the team are clearly confused by it and need to reflect on where they've gone wrong with prior developments. I don't think newey leaving has caused this but it does make you wonder things... Wache and the others clearly aren't idiots though so let's hope they bring some better solutions soon :)

And apparently stroll refused to let alonso back past so there's that as well... :wink:
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:56
Hamilton moved under braking. His normal turn in point for T1 was after the 50 meter board. This can be seen on many laps before and after the incident. You can make out the 50 meter board on the grass to the left if you are quick.

Lap 22:
https://i.postimg.cc/BndxQ8cD/lap22.gif

lap 64:
https://i.postimg.cc/BbVjYymD/lap64.gif

lap 66:
https://i.postimg.cc/kM1Rg674/lap66.gif

lap 67:
https://i.postimg.cc/rFD00Vp9/lap67.gif

On lap 63 he starts turning in where the curb striping starts (80 meters) in reaction to Verstappen, and in the brake zone. It isn't trail braking. It's moving under braking. Verstappen locked up because he had to tighten his line. Many seem to have forgotten Austria.

https://i.postimg.cc/rwWDjfx0/lap-63.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/pXMrTDgP/lap-63-rear.gif
And the lapped car didn't change anyone's line toward the corner?

TFSA

Just_a_fan wrote:
It's technically not impossible that the Stewards could do a 180 and blame the other driver (Hamilton), even though Max was the one noted in the incident for being under investigation. All that the summons-document do, is indicate that they initially believed that Verstappen was the driver who may be liable for a penalty. That doesn't preclude them from changing their mind, however unlikely that is.

So it makes sense that Hamilton doesn't want to attract any negative attention to himself in the stewards room. He isn't necessarily automatically safe, just because the summons document notes that they are investigating Verstappen.

As for him saying he believe it's a racing incident, it's always fun to imagine whether or not he would be of the same opinion if the incident had ruined his race. 🙂 I imagine he (and most other drivers) probably wouldn't have defended Verstappen in that case.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:55
AR3-GP wrote:
Hamilton moved under braking. His normal turn in point for T1 was after the 50 meter board. This can be seen on many laps before and after the incident. You can make out the 50 meter board on the grass to the left if you are quick.

On lap 63 he starts turning in where the curb striping starts (80 meters) in reaction to Verstappen, and in the brake zone. It isn't trail braking. It's moving under braking. Verstappen locked up because he had to tighten his line. Many seem to have forgotten Austria.

No, because Lewis was back on the racing line after the overtake on the lapped car.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:57
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:55
AR3-GP wrote:

No, because Lewis was back on the racing line after the overtake on the lapped car.
He swept by the lapped car and then immediately started for the corner. There wasn't a run parallel with the track edge as there would normally be. It was a dynamic situation so the line was not the same as the usual "driving alone" laps.

Ultimately, Max was frustrated because things weren't going his way today and he just tried to dive bomb Lewis using his traditional "I pass or we crash" approach. And it didn't pay off. Trying to blame anyone else isn't going to gain any traction outside of Max's hardcore fan base. The rest of F1 saw what happened and understand.

What's going to be interesting is to see whether Max adjusts his approach in such situations now that a title might be in the balance. If he doesn't, he'll only have himself to blame. Drivers like Lewis, Charles, George, etc., have nothing to lose from going in to 50/50 situations. Max does. Lewis learnt this and used to give Max room when Lewis was chasing titles and Max was an also-ran (at the time). Now that the situations are reversed, we'll see if Max has it in him to give up and take the points in such situations.