2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

DRS wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 19:28
DGP123 wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 19:18
DRS wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 18:46

He's definitely fading, the speed has gone in qualifying and he's becoming less consistent in the races. I think it's a mistake from Ferrari and from Hamilton himself to sign a contract with them. I can see a Vettel situation when he partners Leclerc, it will only hurt his legacy.
There’s no denying he’s fading, everyone does. I’m just not convinced he’s fading to the extent to which some are suggesting, and neither do Ferrari. Less consistent in races,

Canada 4th
Spain 3rd
Austria 4th
Silverstone 1st
Hungary 3rd
Belgium 1st

Inconsistent? I don’t think so.

If he’s spanked by Leclerc, then, yes, it’s time to call it a day. That’s why we love the sport, and tune in. To find out the answers to these questions.
I hope you're right but I fear not, he now struggles like mad when the car isn't perfected for him on a race weekend, I dread to think what he will be like in an alien Ferrari.
Remember 2011? There were several race weekends where Lewis wasn't happy with the car and that is why Button ended up beating him that season.

This is not new from Lewis.

I suspect most drivers are just the same, but because it's Lewis (same with Max) the media picks up on it a lot more and so it APPEARS that they complain more.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

DRS
DRS

PapayaFan481 wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 09:39
DRS wrote:
DGP123 wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 19:18

There’s no denying he’s fading, everyone does. I’m just not convinced he’s fading to the extent to which some are suggesting, and neither do Ferrari. Less consistent in races,

Canada 4th
Spain 3rd
Austria 4th
Silverstone 1st
Hungary 3rd
Belgium 1st

Inconsistent? I don’t think so.

If he’s spanked by Leclerc, then, yes, it’s time to call it a day. That’s why we love the sport, and tune in. To find out the answers to these questions.
I hope you're right but I fear not, he now struggles like mad when the car isn't perfected for him on a race weekend, I dread to think what he will be like in an alien Ferrari.
Remember 2011? There were several race weekends where Lewis wasn't happy with the car and that is why Button ended up beating him that season.

I suspect most drivers are just the same, but because it's Lewis (same with Max) the media picks up on it a lot more and so it APPEARS that they complain more.
As much as I love him, that's why for me he can never be the GOAT. Lewis just has too many weekends where he's not at the races, Max might have one or two tops, the same for prime Schumacher, Senna, etc.

Matt2725
Matt2725

DRS wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 11:18
PapayaFan481 wrote:
DRS wrote:

As much as I love him, that's why for me he can never be the GOAT. Lewis just has too many weekends where he's not at the races, Max might have one or two tops, the same for prime Schumacher, Senna, etc.
I think he's in the conversation. For me, he's lost that killer instinct he once had.

So many times I've watched his onboards knowing that a Verstappen, Leclerc, Russell etc would go for certain moves that Lewis is now either not going for, or backing out of early. I didn't pay too much attention to his race on Sunday but I would bet there are multiple times he had an opportunity to send one up the inside and backed off way before the braking zone.

bluechris

Matt2725 wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 12:02
DRS wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:

I think he's in the conversation. For me, he's lost that killer instinct he once had.

So many times I've watched his onboards knowing that a Verstappen, Leclerc, Russell etc would go for certain moves that Lewis is now either not going for, or backing out of early. I didn't pay too much attention to his race on Sunday but I would bet there are multiple times he had an opportunity to send one up the inside and backed off way before the braking zone.
That is called experience and with this kind you get championships

Matt2725
Matt2725

bluechris wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 12:17
Matt2725 wrote:
DRS wrote:

Or he's lost that edge racing at the front since 2014. Max has won the last 3 championships in a row and still exhibits that edge to his racing that gets him ahead.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

DRS wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:
DRS wrote:

For me there is one reason and one reason alone why Lewis, Max nor any of the current drivers will ever be the GOAT....

They're not Ayrton Senna 😝
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

DRS
DRS

Matt2725 wrote:
DRS wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:

You are correct, there was one onboard where he was up the inside of Bearman yet backed out, Leclerc, Russell, Verstappen would have been through with ease.

DRS
DRS

PapayaFan481 wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 13:16
DRS wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:

For me there is one reason and one reason alone why Lewis, Max nor any of the current drivers will ever be the GOAT....

They're not Ayrton Senna 😝
Correct, but I think Max has got a great argument to be in that league, he's just relentless.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Matt2725 wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 12:20
bluechris wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 12:17
Matt2725 wrote:

Or he's lost that edge racing at the front since 2014. Max has won the last 3 championships in a row and still exhibits that edge to his racing that gets him ahead.
Well to be fair, with out a competitive car, Verstappen has been out of racing touch. Lewis is in the same position as well. They're both great but when the car is not quick they generally fade away.

Lasssept

j_ste
j_ste

DRS wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 13:24
Matt2725 wrote:
DRS wrote:

You are correct, there was one onboard where he was up the inside of Bearman yet backed out, Leclerc, Russell, Verstappen would have been through with ease.
Risk assessment. It’s how you collect more points over a season than you should do…slamming it up the inside for p11. Not smart.

DRS
DRS

j_ste wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 20:33
DRS wrote:
19 Sep 2024, 13:24
Matt2725 wrote:

Risk assessment. It’s how you collect more points over a season than you should do…slamming it up the inside for p11. Not smart.
Had he done so, that P11 might have ended up a P8 or a P7.