2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 19:06
Today validates my point from last race that the team was too conservative by going to hard tyres for the last stint. This race they went to mediums for last stint even though it was quite long. The team will gain confidence in the car and they will take more chances in the future.

Great stuff by the team.
They had hard tyres out for pits already, getting mediums out last minute would have meant longer stop plus silverstone track builds temperatures in tyres quicker and hence team stuck with hard tyre. They were proven right by the results anyways

Emag
Emag

Tomsky wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 19:27
Very interesting. Lando himself said on the post race interview that for the time being, RedBull is in another league, but their time will come later in the year.

If Lando, the king of downplaying expectations, is hinting towards chances of wins later in the year, then they really must have something big cooking in the background.

I just hope they are not compromising 2024 with this though. I am all in for them getting more podiums and possibly wins this year, but the pace came too late into the season to get anything meaningful out of it.

I could argue that even going beyond P4 in the constructors is a disadvantage for next year. But it is a racing team in the end, so I am sure they will not give up any positions they can get in the wcc.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:29
I think the damage he got must have played some role with how effective aerodynamics are on a car.
No sh!t.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:28
Piastri "it wasn't ideal to come out behind lando (talking about Lando undercutting) but when you finish 30 seconds behind it doesn't really matter"

Sounds like he knows he has work to do on his race pace.

I personally don't think he's upset at the team for the strategy call.
Norris was going to be put in front one way or another, his pace was too good.

-Bandit

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:55
Any damage, would likely have come when he went wide against Perez, and ge wad already struggling at that point.

But, he is young and learning. Lando was hardly the finished article in his debut year.
Piastri is a more complete driver compared to Year 1 Lando, who also took till year 3 to find real confidence in his racecraft and to find his elbows.

It just seems like Piastri is pretty close to challenging Lando already.

-Bandit

Kaluh McLaren
Kaluh McLaren

Yes the result proved the strategy was right 100%

Stig14
Stig14

Emag wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 20:28
I just hope they are not compromising 2024 with this though. I am all in for them getting more podiums and possibly wins this year, but the pace came too late into the season to get anything meaningful out of it.
We have stable regulations so I like to think that any knowledge and performance gained this year should be translatable to the 2024 car. Also the confidence should stem from parts which are at a relative stage of maturity one would imagine and so doesn't mean they won't be shifting attention to next year's car soon (as other teams have suggested they will from the summer break)

Xero

Emag wrote:
Tomsky wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 19:27
Very interesting. Lando himself said on the post race interview that for the time being, RedBull is in another league, but their time will come later in the year.

If Lando, the king of downplaying expectations, is hinting towards chances of wins later in the year, then they really must have something big cooking in the background.
It's intriguing, right? My initial thought it was something to do with team personnel, but it does seem to point towards car development. Could be the reason the Hungary update never arrived, postponed for something bigger and better later on for the sake of cost cap and wind tunnel/CFD limits.

Emag wrote:
Could be the update is something brought forward from next years car, or at least carry over, hence the the "stable rules" comment from Zak.

mwillems

Does the chassis need to change at all? Perhaps they can just keep bringing updates to this car into next year so everything they discover can be put on this car.

-Bandit

Stig14
Stig14

I'm not sure if it's has been mentioned but a big shout-out to the pit crew for today. Several high pressure stops and they delivered: 2.01 and 2.15 second best stops for Oscar and Lando respectively with all 4 stops being sub 3 seconds. The whole team seems to be rising to the challenge of late and long may that continue =D>

ScottR267
ScottR267

Stig14 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:36
I'm not sure if it's has been mentioned but a big shout-out to the pit crew for today. Several high pressure stops and they delivered: 2.01 and 2.15 second best stops for Oscar and Lando respectively with all 4 stops being sub 3 seconds. The whole team seems to be rising to the challenge of late and long may that continue =D>
Massive improvements over the last few years on the pit stops….kudos to Seidl on that as I seem to remember him mentioning improvements were required on this front and put the plan in place to sort this out!

Shame today that Red Bull went and did a 1.9 stop after we had done a 2.0….how’s your luck 😂

Slahinki
Slahinki

ScottR267 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:46
Stig14 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:36
Massive improvements over the last few years on the pit stops….kudos to Seidl on that as I seem to remember him mentioning improvements were required on this front and put the plan in place to sort this out!

Shame today that Red Bull went and did a 1.9 stop after we had done a 2.0….how’s your luck 😂
Yeah, 2019 was a real wakeup call on the pit stops, there were way too many mistakes that year. Stella was a good choice by Seidl, he really turned that part of the team around.

As for Red Bulls 1.98s pit stop, is no biggie, we already did that last year in Mexico! :lol:

Darth-Piekus

I've read somewhere on a comment that Mclaren pretty much copied various Red Bull aerodynamics but that restricts them in their target to surpass them. Do you think they copied the Red Bull car or did they already had those solutions in mind? Will they help them surpass Red Bull instead of restricting to just follow Red Bull as 2nd?

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 23:21
I've read somewhere on a comment that Mclaren pretty much copied various Red Bull aerodynamics but that restricts them in their target to surpass them. Do you think they copied the Red Bull car or did they already had those solutions in mind? Will they help them surpass Red Bull instead of restricting to just follow Red Bull as 2nd?
You can't copy the floor as simply a that. The geometries are very sensitive and everything on the car has to be tuned to work together. It's all well and good knowing what a concept is trying to achieve, but it takes a lot more than that to make it work. Many commented that simply seeing Red Bulls floor was not necessarily going to give people the solutions to become fast. I dont doubt we may have learned from the floor, but the Mclaren speed comes from within.

And if Zak brown is to be believed, then the team can already see a very aggressive upgrade path for the rest of the year, so I do not think they are copying anyone. I think they now understand clearly what makes this formula fast and understand how to unlock the time.

-Bandit

bauc

Solid race by both NOR and PIA today, and congrats for the team for their 2nd consecutive podium finish. Can we aim for a win at SPA next week ? :P

However, even though I'm supper happy that in the past 3 races we've found our way back towards the front (more or less) I'm still worried about the tire management, as I think our car use the rubber pritty fast, especially in a scenario like Hugary.

But hey, this is SUPERB progress, now we need to find a bit more speed and we need to do some more fine tuning to this car and we can fight like this for the rest of the season.

>WE WILL WIN AGAIN<

Mclaren!

Edit *** PIT STOPS WERE SUPERB AS well =D>
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg