2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I believe from what I viewed, and much is confirmed in the discussion here, is that McLaren are carrying more downforce than it's closest competitors, possibly only slightly so in the case of Max. This has the obvious benefit of reducing tyre degradation, but ignoring the variables of passing rain showers and safety cars, we should have tactical options open, not necessarily available. So much in strategy is dictated by others' strategies. Getting past Max or George on a damp track isn't possible without forcing an error because of a "dry" line, on a totally wet track there are possibilities if you can enable more grip. There's not much worth in getting into too much specific strategy because, as I said, others' strategies can stymie your strategy. I do think there's a decent chance of a win, Lando is exceptional in those circumstances and the MCL38 is now a superb allrounder it would appear. (Oscar isn't too dusty either!)

mwillems

We're talking about drop in speed between Q2 and Q3.

I think its highly likely to see us back where we expect to be in speed during the race.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 12:37
I believe from what I viewed, and much is confirmed in the discussion here, is that McLaren are carrying more downforce than it's closest competitors, possibly only slightly so in the case of Max. This has the obvious benefit of reducing tyre degradation, but ignoring the variables of passing rain showers and safety cars, we should have tactical options open, not necessarily available. So much in strategy is dictated by others' strategies. Getting past Max or George on a damp track isn't possible without forcing an error because of a "dry" line, on a totally wet track there are possibilities if you can enable more grip. There's not much worth in getting into too much specific strategy because, as I said, others' strategies can stymie your strategy. I do think there's a decent chance of a win, Lando is exceptional in those circumstances and the MCL38 is now a superb allrounder it would appear. (Oscar isn't too dusty either!)
It makes sense. More downforce, to be gentler on the tyres. I have thought about it. The tarmac is still green. Fresh surface, low rolling in dry conditions, rain that removes rubber on the line. All these are key factors that can increase tyre wear. The best option is still two pit stops. A very short pitlane, if not the shortest of the season. If the race is in dry conditions, I would guess that the granulation of the medium tyres will be high. Those who have kept two sets of hard tyres can gain an advantage in race pace.

And also: today is the coolest conditions. I think at the beginning of the race the air temperature will be 16-18 degrees. Warming up the tires will be a little more difficult than yesterday. Additional downforce can help with this.

Emag
Emag

Rain is gonna fu*k up the race so maybe having a bit more downforce might help them. With Mercedes' race pace being a bit of a question mark, I liked McLaren's chances better in a dry race to be honest, at least for a double podium. But now everything is randomized again. Gonna be mayhem, but we have good drivers for the wet. Just need to stay out of trouble on lap 1.

mwillems

It was 80% chance in qualifying and we dodged a bullet. I'd like to see a greasy surface challenge the drivers, but nothing more. I don't think we'll get the same luck today, but who knows

-Bandit

renault rs26
renault rs26

mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:54
renault rs26 wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:49
mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:26
Just watching again. Russell got a tow all along the straight from Albon, without it he'd be behind Piastri.
But then again he was on used tire which worth more than slipstream.
Our first lap was also on a used tyre too?
Yes 7 tenths behind.

sport777
sport777

Emag wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 13:51
Rain is gonna fu*k up the race so maybe having a bit more downforce might help them. With Mercedes' race pace being a bit of a question mark, I liked McLaren's chances better in a dry race to be honest, at least for a double podium. But now everything is randomized again. Gonna be mayhem, but we have good drivers for the wet. Just need to stay out of trouble on lap 1.
what makes you think that Merc's racing theme will be bad? I think on the contrary, Merc will quite possibly be one of the fastest

BMMR61

His words on Mercedes race pace was "question mark". It's a trend we have seen all season. Often quick in FP1, by the time they get to Q3 they struggle to evolve with the front 5 cars. In terms of running in FP we have had less than dry normal up to FP2 inclusive. There is concern throughout the grid on the long run pace. The tyre deg may prove less of a problem with lower temperatures and they likelihood of using intermediates at some stage. The biggest concern for those confident of good pace and not hoping for a lucky break..... is those others getting a lucky break! It could be a chaotic race, let's hope not as we are well placed to score good points, even win.

sport777
sport777

BMMR61 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:17
His words on Mercedes race pace was "question mark". It's a trend we have seen all season. Often quick in FP1, by the time they get to Q3 they struggle to evolve with the front 5 cars. In terms of running in FP we have had less than dry normal up to FP2 inclusive. There is concern throughout the grid on the long run pace. The tyre deg may prove less of a problem with lower temperatures and they likelihood of using intermediates at some stage. The biggest concern for those confident of good pace and not hoping for a lucky break..... is those others getting a lucky break! It could be a chaotic race, let's hope not as we are well placed to score good points, even win.
Mercedes' racing pace is quite decent, we must not forget that they improved a lot in the last 3 stages, many do not underestimate Mercedes, although it seems to me that they have more potential than other leaders

mwillems

renault rs26 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 14:59
mwillems wrote:
renault rs26 wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:49

But then again he was on used tire which worth more than slipstream.
Yes 7 tenths behind.
Russels tyre was scrubbed rather than used so he got pole from the tow, the car alone wasn't quick enough.

The swing here for Merc is huge and I think that it was down to a green track and the tow, otherwise they'd be their normal gap from the front. The tow was nearly 2 tenths alone.

-Bandit

sport777
sport777

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:21
renault rs26 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Yes 7 tenths behind.
Russels tyre was scrubbed rather than used so he got pole from the tow, the car alone wasn't quick enough.

The swing here for Merc is huge and I think that it was down to a green track and the tow, otherwise they'd be their normal gap from the front. The tow was nearly 2 tenths alone.
dude, what are you saying? Yesterday the Merc was the fastest car, what would I say less about Russell’s tug, I’ll tell you his third sector in the second attempt in Q3 without a tow was faster than with a tow 29.027 without a tow, in Q2 it was 28.97, with a tow - 29.151, Hamilton simply did not put together a good lap in Q3 in the second attempt in the first sector, he was seriously interfered with by Ric and at the last chicane he lost another 2 tenths due to an error. Stop talking nonsense, yesterday the W15 was the fastest

search

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:21
renault rs26 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Yes 7 tenths behind.

as mentioned above, the tire was 3 laps old. Same as Verstappen's.

Emag
Emag

sport777 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:01
Emag wrote:
what makes you think that Merc's racing theme will be bad? I think on the contrary, Merc will quite possibly be one of the fastest
I didn't say Mercedes race pace will be bad, but we don't really know how good they will be. George has qualified well in earlier rounds only to fall behind in the race so it wouldn't be too farfetched to think they don't have the outright race pace to stay ahead of Max at least.

Edit: Also, George mentioned how they were so close in Imola too, but that was only for quali. They fell behind RB, Ferrari and McLaren in the race. Of course, they have a new front wing here, but it would be very impressive if this front wing fixes pretty much everything that has been bothering them this year with that car.

sport777
sport777

Emag wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:39
sport777 wrote:
Emag wrote:
I didn't say Mercedes race pace will be bad, but we don't really know how good they will be. George has qualified well in earlier rounds only to fall behind in the race so it wouldn't be too farfetched to think they don't have the outright race pace to stay ahead of Max at least.

Edit: Also, George mentioned how they were so close in Imola too, but that was only for quali. They fell behind RB, Ferrari and McLaren in the race. Of course, they have a new front wing here, but it would be very impressive if this front wing fixes pretty much everything that has been bothering them this year with that car.
In Monaco, Merc was one of the fastest in the race, secondly, I look at cars not as a fan of one team, the problems of Merc at the beginning of the season have already been almost all overcome, the car looks quite solid and I will repeat, some aspects, for example, the diffuser, are very simple, like Williams , I’m sure the diffuser will be revised as well as the side pontoons, I mean that the potential of Merc is still very great and McLaren needs to be afraid not of Ferrari and RB, but of Merc

mwillems

sport777 wrote:
Emag wrote:
In my opinion, the Merc does well on green tracks and drops back as the track evolves, I think it is a decent possibility that as the race continues and the track evolves more, their relative pace will drop behind others.

I mean they are 3rd fastest here anyway, but you need a delta to overtake and if once that delta gets too big Merc will not be able to hold onto 1st.

Who knows what would happen in a wet race, but in a dry race I don't think they'd finish above 4th on merit.

I'm the opposite of emag, I think a wet race will suit them more.
Last edited by mwillems on 09 Jun 2024, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit