Monaco GP 2010 - Monte Carlo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Maxtreeme
Maxtreeme

Re: Monaco GP 2010 - Monte Carlo

alberto222mx wrote:If somebody screwed up, was the Race Control with the message "SC in this lap" and restarting the race with green flags. That´s not Schumacher´s or Brawn´s fault.
Exactly! A driver can't be penalized if he overtook someone after the SC line, while there was a green flag.

What if his radio went dead, and all the displays on the steering wheel went dead (not the case but even so) the only way he could see if a race will end with the SC or it will be restarted is Green or Yellow flags, that is why they invented them...

For the people saying that rule 4x.xx says that the race ends with SC.... there were green flags! means restart. end of story. IMO if the kept the rule that you couldn't overtake until the start/finish line, there would be no problems. But let's complicate them shall we? :?

andartop
andartop

Moanlower wrote:When i'm arriving at a crossroad with traffic lights on green and a policeman in the middle of the road guiding the traffic and tells me to stop I have to stop even though it shows green. Some rules are simply inferior to others.
Unfortunately, in this case, the policeman had just run away from the crossroad!
:lol:

Rules are rules, and a 7 time world champion in F1 should be obliged to actually, yes, indeed, know all the rules by heart. Same thing I said for Hamilton at the "liegate". These guys are paid $$$ for what they are doing and every undergraduate student has to learn by heart hundreds of pages of several subjects, so I can see no reason why professional drivers shouldn't be able to do the same.

That said, the same goes for the race stewards, their decisions or omissions can risk points, wins, championships or human lives. They should have left the yellow lights on, or deem the move legit!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Ray

010010011010 wrote:
Moanlower wrote:When i'm arriving at a crossroad with traffic lights on green and a policeman in the middle of the road guiding the traffic and tells me to stop I have to stop even though it shows green. Some rules are simply inferior to others.
yeah but in this case it was a matter of obey the obscure rule that hardly anyone had heard of before over what the marshalls are telling you to do.

So really here what theyre doing is ignoring the policeman and going by the lights (rules)
EVERYONE knows EVERY rule in Formula 1. They are paid lots of money to know them and bend them as far as possible. I can't believe that anyone (not directed at you specifically 010010011010) would think they didn't know this rule or any other rule in the rule book. It's what pays their bills!! #-o

vall
vall

Ray wrote:I think the green flags being waved might have been down to a mistake by the corner marshals. Maybe they thought that since the SC was going in and they did such a great job cleaning up that accident that it was on again. That's my thoughts, they got excited and forgot just how many laps were left.
2010 Sporting regulations wrote: 40.11 When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be displayed on the timing monitors and the car's orange lights will be extinguished This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.

At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.

In order to avoid the likelihood of accidents before the safety car returns to the pits, from the point at which the lights on the car are turned out drivers must proceed at a pace which involves no erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart.

As the safety car is approaching the pit entry the yellow flags and SC boards will be withdrawn and replaced by waved green flags with green lights at the Line. These will be displayed until the last car crosses the Line.[/b]

40.12 Each lap completed while the safety car is deployed will be counted as a race lap.

40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.[/color]
Because they must according to the regulations, but this does not mean they can race if it is the last lap. 40.13 clearly means:

SC last lap = race end under safety car = no overtaking (regardless the green flags)

xpensive
xpensive

This is Mark's year, simple as that, let's hope he stays off the Tassie bicycling, right Steve?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

djones
djones

40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.[/color]

But the safety car was no longer deployed, it was safety car in.

Not in because thats the procedure, in because that was it for the safety car.

There is no way this wont get turned over in court.

Rules are rules and if the FIA can't get it correct you really do have to wonder!!!

MS will keep the 6th place, no doubt in my mind.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

How could you not be happy that Webber won?! Look at him! Who else does this awesome crazy stuff??

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

vall
vall

010010011010 wrote:Furthermore, about the safety car regulation which says that the cars must finish in order, that rule was made in a time when the race didnt restart until they crossed the start/finish line. With the new rule about the race starting at the safety car line that rule is obslete in my view. As with any regulations it is the NEW regulaations that take presedence over any old ones.
which rule is that?

xpensive
xpensive

He's my man, mx, awesome guy!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

vall
vall

djones wrote:40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.[/color]

well, the rule says it must get in if it is the last lap. period. How can you argue that it went in because that was it for the safety car?

Miguel
Miguel

I'm only going to say that the rules, as always, suck. On one hand, Ross Brawn's arguments make perfect sense, while, on the other hand, there is a rule that forbids all kind of racing in the last lap. I don't understand why there should be like 300m of racing. Anyway, at least some precedent will be set.

Finally, what Rubens did is intolerable. No way. He should be reprimanded, fined and then fined again for not fitting the steering wheel again. AFAIK, that's something he should have done.

BTW: What was Charlotte Cashiragi wearing at the podium? Jeans?

EDIT: I'm not a native english speaker, but I fail to see any kind of connotation (other than physical size) in the words "small boy". I'm not going to test it on the first person I see on the street, though.
Last edited by Miguel on 16 May 2010, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

ringo

vall wrote:
Ray wrote:I think the green flags being waved might have been down to a mistake by the corner marshals. Maybe they thought that since the SC was going in and they did such a great job cleaning up that accident that it was on again. That's my thoughts, they got excited and forgot just how many laps were left.
2010 Sporting regulations wrote: 40.11 When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be displayed on the timing monitors and the car's orange lights will be extinguished This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.

At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.

In order to avoid the likelihood of accidents before the safety car returns to the pits, from the point at which the lights on the car are turned out drivers must proceed at a pace which involves no erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart.

As the safety car is approaching the pit entry the yellow flags and SC boards will be withdrawn and replaced by waved green flags with green lights at the Line. These will be displayed until the last car crosses the Line.[/b]

40.12 Each lap completed while the safety car is deployed will be counted as a race lap.

Because they must according to the regulations, but this does not mean they can race if it is the last lap. 40.13 clearly means:

SC last lap = race end under safety car = no overtaking (regardless the green flags)
Good, so MS was wrong then. green does not necessarily mean go right now. It means the safety car is in.
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

mx_tifosi wrote:How could you not be happy that Webber won?! Look at him! Who else does this awesome crazy stuff??

Brilliant bloke, showing vettel how its done round monaco is no mean feat.
I actually want this guy to win the WDC...never have said that a month ago.
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

I´m quite sure the decision will be overturned.
As the procedure to retract the safety car was announced!
If the race was to be ended underSC no action from the Racecontrol would have been necessary and :yellow flags would have been waved till the finish line.
The flags AND Light where green and I´m sure the flag signals in the car were green as well.So were does the discussion ground on? The last lap being under SC? but the
track was called green from the safety car line.. wich is officially the line from where you are allowed to overtake...clearly unclear regulation here and wrong flag signalling if the race wasto be ended under SC rules!

djones
djones

vall wrote:
djones wrote:40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.[/color]

well, the rule says it must get in if it is the last lap. period. How can you argue that it went in because that was it for the safety car?
Race control said the safety car was over, not that it would still be out. If it was still out then it would have come in - but for different reasons.

They said the SC was over, then gave Green flags.

Seriously, this would take any lawyer 30 seconds tops to sort out.