2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I am closely monitoring the weather. At the moment it is raining and will stop in 10 minutes. There is no precipitation at the start of the race. By that time the track should have time to dry out. What happens next is still unknown. An hour before the race we will be able to take another look. I really hope that the race will be held in dry conditions.

Emag
Emag

sport777 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:50
Emag wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:39
sport777 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:01

what makes you think that Merc's racing theme will be bad? I think on the contrary, Merc will quite possibly be one of the fastest
I didn't say Mercedes race pace will be bad, but we don't really know how good they will be. George has qualified well in earlier rounds only to fall behind in the race so it wouldn't be too farfetched to think they don't have the outright race pace to stay ahead of Max at least.

Edit: Also, George mentioned how they were so close in Imola too, but that was only for quali. They fell behind RB, Ferrari and McLaren in the race. Of course, they have a new front wing here, but it would be very impressive if this front wing fixes pretty much everything that has been bothering them this year with that car.
In Monaco, Merc was one of the fastest in the race, secondly, I look at cars not as a fan of one team, the problems of Merc at the beginning of the season have already been almost all overcome, the car looks quite solid and I will repeat, some aspects, for example, the diffuser, are very simple, like Williams , I’m sure the diffuser will be revised as well as the side pontoons, I mean that the potential of Merc is still very great and McLaren needs to be afraid not of Ferrari and RB, but of Merc
Monaco was a clown fiesta, there is no representative data to take out of it whatsoever. The last real race we had was Imola, and Imola wasn't amazing for Mercedes.

Difficult to believe you don't look at the cars as fan of the team, but anyway. The "complexity" you see doesn't automatically correlate to more performance.

As for McLaren, they're not afraid of anyone and their only goal in F1 is to win, doesn't matter who the main rival is. And this is true for every team, not just for them. That was a very bizarre statement to make.

It's good for Mercedes for finally starting to look like they're improving, but the ball is in their court now, and it's up to them to prove this is not some false dawn that disappears going from track to track. It's not like it hasn't happened before for them in this regulation set, on multiple occasions. By any account, their performance these last two years has been embarrassing either way. A giant factory team who were dominating the sport for a decade has been lost for almost 3 years now and they're behind one of their customers this season (so far).

If anything, it is long overdue for them to catch up.

sport777
sport777

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:58
sport777 wrote:
Emag wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 13:51
Rain is gonna fu*k up the race so maybe having a bit more downforce might help them. With Mercedes' race pace being a bit of a question mark, I liked McLaren's chances better in a dry race to be honest, at least for a double podium. But now everything is randomized again. Gonna be mayhem, but we have good drivers for the wet. Just need to stay out of trouble on lap 1.
what makes you think that Merc's racing theme will be bad? I think on the contrary, Merc will quite possibly be one of the fastest
In my opinion, the Merc does well on green tracks and drops back as the track evolves, I think it is a decent possibility that as the race continues and the track evolves more, their relative pace will drop behind others.

I mean they are 3rd fastest here anyway, but you need a delta to overtake and if once that delta gets too big Merc will not be able to hold onto 1st.

Who knows what would happen in a wet race, but in a dry race I don't think they'd finish above 4th on merit.

I'm the opposite of emag, I think a wet race will suit them more.
I find it funny when I hear that Merc will be 3rd in speed here, we don’t know what Merc will be in terms of speed in the race, since the practices were in changeable conditions, it seems to me that McLaren fans strongly believed in themselves, I know for sure yesterday Merc was the fastest Ideally, McLaren's car yesterday lost about 3 tenths, while think about it, Merc didn't bring more than one major update, like McLaren or Ferrari did

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

sport777 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 16:06
mwillems wrote:
sport777 wrote:

In my opinion, the Merc does well on green tracks and drops back as the track evolves, I think it is a decent possibility that as the race continues and the track evolves more, their relative pace will drop behind others.

I mean they are 3rd fastest here anyway, but you need a delta to overtake and if once that delta gets too big Merc will not be able to hold onto 1st.

Who knows what would happen in a wet race, but in a dry race I don't think they'd finish above 4th on merit.

I find it funny when I hear that Merc will be 3rd in speed here, we don’t know what Merc will be in terms of speed in the race, since the practices were in changeable conditions, it seems to me that McLaren fans strongly believed in themselves, I know for sure yesterday Merc was the fastest Ideally, McLaren's car yesterday lost about 3 tenths, while think about it, Merc didn't bring more than one major update, like McLaren or Ferrari did
We'll see in the race. Nobody knows what the race pace will be like against McLaren and Red Bull. The ability to keep the tires in working temperature range in cool conditions will be one of the key factors. At the moment, 16 degrees Celsius is predicted at the start of the race.

mwillems

sport777 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 16:06
mwillems wrote:
sport777 wrote:

Wonderful, I'm glad your life is full of humour :D

Mclaren fans have been equally honest about their own pace and where we'd be over the past years, so I think Mclaren fans are applying the same logic to Mercedes pace at different races as we do to our own team at the difference races and it isn't always a positive rosy ending.

But yeah, we probably do feel pretty confident but that is because of results and evidence of the cars capabilities right now. At the same time, I don't mind if I'm wrong. Well I do, I want to win, but I'm not wedded to my opinion, it's just an opinion :lol:

Russell overachieved with a tow giving him 8-10kph more for the straight and gaining around a tenth and a half so he did well for himself, and fair play, otherwise he'd have been nearer Hamilton's time.

But hey, don't sweat it, opinions aren't curses and we'll all get to discuss the ins and outs of how some people did well and others didn't once the race is finished. It's kind of why we come to a Forum.
Last edited by mwillems on 09 Jun 2024, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

sport777 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:50
Emag wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 15:39
sport777 wrote:

I didn't say Mercedes race pace will be bad, but we don't really know how good they will be. George has qualified well in earlier rounds only to fall behind in the race so it wouldn't be too farfetched to think they don't have the outright race pace to stay ahead of Max at least.

Edit: Also, George mentioned how they were so close in Imola too, but that was only for quali. They fell behind RB, Ferrari and McLaren in the race. Of course, they have a new front wing here, but it would be very impressive if this front wing fixes pretty much everything that has been bothering them this year with that car.
In Monaco, Merc was one of the fastest in the race, secondly, I look at cars not as a fan of one team, the problems of Merc at the beginning of the season have already been almost all overcome, the car looks quite solid and I will repeat, some aspects, for example, the diffuser, are very simple, like Williams , I’m sure the diffuser will be revised as well as the side pontoons, I mean that the potential of Merc is still very great and McLaren needs to be afraid not of Ferrari and RB, but of Merc
Personally I think you're being unrealistic in many of your opinions. The Monaco claim especially - if you think that Ferrari and McLaren race pace was anything but contrived to back up the field then fine, you're welcome to it. I think most people here are waiting to see how real Mercedes' pace is here at Canada, not to take anything away from their good showing throughout practice and qualifying. The belief of many including myself is they may struggle to be fastest in the race, this based on the trends at other races, and the way limited running usually favours Merc on a more 'green' track. Not saying that will be the case but it's too early to make assumptions. It's fair to say Merc's performance here appears much improved, including over Monaco.

_cerber1

Judging by the weather forecast, the cancellation of the race is more than possible, especially after the events in the Porsche race.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

_cerber1 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 17:04
Judging by the weather forecast, the cancellation of the race is more than possible, especially after the events in the Porsche race.
What happened there?

CjC
CjC

One pole for Merc and a P7 in quali and suddenly they have the best car now.

McLaren have both cars 0.108 from pole.

Even Alonso is disappointed he’s not on pole.
This weekend has been anyone’s for the taking and still is.
After Silverstone we’ll see where everyone is at.
Mclaren pulled off a huge turn a round last season so that means anyone of the other teams could do so too, maybe Mercedes, maybe Aston.
Stella says laptime is being developed every week back at base, just because Merc is bringing it to the track doesn’t mean the others aren’t finding it in the wind tunnel too, to the bring it to the track later in the season.

George may romp off into the distance today and fair play to him but this is far from a normal weekend as you can get
Just a fan's point of view

_cerber1

LionsHeart wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 17:07
What happened there?

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

The barrier was already repaired long ago. No issue whatsoever. Ferrari Challenge race ran fine and just completed a few minutes ago.

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 17:37
LionsHeart wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 17:07
What happened there?
https://i.ibb.co/mvjTxnz/86845995.png
Is that a wet track?

_cerber1

CjC wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 17:41
Is that a wet track?
Yes!

sport777
sport777

CjC wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 17:32
One pole for Merc and a P7 in quali and suddenly they have the best car now.

McLaren have both cars 0.108 from pole.

Even Alonso is disappointed he’s not on pole.
This weekend has been anyone’s for the taking and still is.
After Silverstone we’ll see where everyone is at.
Mclaren pulled off a huge turn a round last season so that means anyone of the other teams could do so too, maybe Mercedes, maybe Aston.
Stella says laptime is being developed every week back at base, just because Merc is bringing it to the track doesn’t mean the others aren’t finding it in the wind tunnel too, to the bring it to the track later in the season.

George may romp off into the distance today and fair play to him but this is far from a normal weekend as you can get
dude, I’m speaking with facts, yesterday Merce was the fastest car on the track, these are not my words, these are a complete analysis of qualifications, yesterday I repeat, the fact that McLaren became closer to them, it’s Merce’s fault, leaving at the very end of the session was a bad idea, then what Ham became 7th, that’s his problem, he just made a lot of mistakes, his potential time was after Russell, no one knows what will happen in the race today

CjC
CjC

Sorry Emag :lol: