2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

the66 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:33
Great race, a proper nail-biter :shock: First stint in particular, the conditions really seemed to suit us - I'm guessing the conditions suited the car's 'tyre window' well. Yet another great haul of points, so chuffed their hard work has paid off these last 2/3 yrs :D

As Emag mentions, Lando's race was superb, he's maturing into a great racer- kudos to Oscar too, he's hit the ground running and, for a relatively new guy, putting in great drives and pushing his team mate hard. Probably the best driver pairing at the moment, imo.

---------
Long time lurker and just joined, so 'Hi'. Followed McL since the 70's - have admired the knowledge so many of you have, much thanks for that!

Welcome and Enjoy... :D

CjC
CjC

Seerix wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 11:02
Curious Lando was saying in the post race interviews they did all they could, but the SC and slick pace were the reason for not winning.
However, later during the press conference he changed attitude and mentioned they could have won if the decision making and communication was better/faster.

Looking at the replay he had like 2-3s to pit on the first safety car lap. He managed to ask "pit or not" on the radio, but Will started rambling "if the rain... if you think... stay out". Lando was not keen on pitting for inters at that point (it was basically dry already with rain coming soon) and was only convinced after everyone behind him pitted for inters.

On the other hand with Oscar they had more time. Tom said "We expect rain, do you want to pit for fresh inters?". Oscar: "Uhh, yes."

There definitely was an opportunity for Lando to pit right away, but they were not really clear on which tyre to put on and also it would have been a very short call, so maybe pitstop would have been slow if they did not have tyres in the pitlane etc.
IMO the tyre choice was on team this time as they saw the rain coming, but the driver only saw almost dry track.

I am liking Oscar's defense. He does not let people pass easily. Regarding driver preference. At one point towards the end, Tom even asked him if he could challenge VER, but Oscar only said he needs to focus on RUS behind. So it seems the team was willing to give him a go if he felt up for it.

Anyway, very nice race. Cool to see McL fighting at the top and I hope to see more of it.
I know it’s easy for me in my arm chair to say but for me they need to change their procedure slightly, this is the second time umming and arrring has cost the shot at a win.
Perhaps there should be a new understanding where the team have a default option always made for the end of the current lap.
In this case ‘if there is a SC and our driver can dive into the pit lane we fit inter’.
Same procedure in a dry race, ‘if we pit this lap we fit the hards’ or in the late safety car scenario ‘if we pit now it’s for a soft’
I know it can’t be so automated all the time and decisions have to be made on the fly but yesterday it was pretty clear they were hanging on to the first set of inters to fit a new set once it started to rain- they had multiple lads to make the ‘default’ selection as I’m suggesting.
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

There is a feeling in the media that Lando lost the win #-o

Mark Hughes
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... -prix-win/

Christian Horner
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mon-h ... /10621847/

Swed3121
Swed3121

Starting to wonder if this is going to become McL vs Ferrari for the WCC while Max gets the WDC, checo really needs to start performing if their to have any hope of retaining the WCC

JoeE
JoeE

In my mind if you get a SC, then you pit if you can at all costs so your on fresh rubber. The strategy calls at MCL have been poor in my opinion

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 14:16
There is a feeling in the media that Lando lost the win #-o

Mark Hughes
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... -prix-win/

Christian Horner
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mon-h ... /10621847/
Perhaps, if in both cases, when the safety car came out, Lando would have immediately pitted, then hypothetically victory would have been possible. But what happened, happened. We must look forward and be satisfied at least because McLaren is becoming a strong and stable team that is capable of bringing big points to the piggy bank every race weekend, a stable fight for the podium and some probability of taking the victory.

Let's see when the team prepares the next updates that will allow us to improve even more, eliminating weak points. Next, we are waiting for the trio from Catalunya-Red Bull Ring-Silverstone. If the updates are ready by Barcelona, ​​then we can try to realize big points.

billamend
billamend

Are there any news on the next upgrades?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

billamend wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 16:18
I haven't seen anything like that yet.

Ben1980
Ben1980

I still thinks it a case of could have won rather than would have won, if we had pitted straight off.

I think its would have won, if there was no safety cars though.

mwillems

Lando also thinks he and the team made the wrong call.

https://www.independent.co.uk/f1/f1-lan ... 59557.html

As Ben says its more that we didn't maximise our opportunities than there was a sure win.

On to the next race.

Really interested to see how we get on at Barcelona.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

billamend wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 16:18
Would be nice to hear something.
Supposedly Red bull are upgrading in Barcelona and Mercedes are bringing a new floor, I believe Toto has even said that Merc will be taking an upgrade to every race all the way up to Belgium.

I’d like to think McLaren would have brought their next update before then

billamend
billamend

Would assume another Austria and Singapore upgrades

CjC
CjC

Yea I’m assuming the same, however was the ‘24 Miami update the ‘23 Austria update?
Or was Miami just the finishing off of the launch car and we can still expect 2 ‘major’ upgrades this season?

Ben1980
Ben1980

I do find it interesting that Horner is talking about us, and how they mentioned Miami during the race at safety car.

I feel that the team are a but in their head. This is a different Red Bull than last years.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 20:33
Yea I’m assuming the same, however was the ‘24 Miami update the ‘23 Austria update?
Or was Miami just the finishing off of the launch car and we can still expect 2 ‘major’ upgrades this season?
Miami was around the same date as Baku last year.

Stella has said 2 or 3 big upgrades this year, so I guess we will wait and see.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit