2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

What a race! That was heart in mouth stuff, excitement all race long.

It could have been ours but it wasn't to be and I also think we should have put one or both on Fresh mediums, but c'est la vie.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Lando was a beast on that first stint though, really really impressive showing by him. By the time they switched tires on the second stint it literally undid all the good job he did to manage that inter so well so that he could actually push it on a dry track. The rest couldn't go anywhere near his pace.

There are moments like this where Lando really shows what he is made off. Really on another level when it comes to tire management, definitely compared to Oscar, but I would say even against most of the grid.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 21:57
CjC wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 21:53
Safe to say McLaren have decent race pace aka looks after its tyres?
In the end it wasn't amazing to be honest but with the track being all over the place it's difficult to judge. Overall, pace wasn't bad to be honest. Mercedes was pretty much where I would expect Ferrari to be here this time, so we had the challenge.

Let's see how it turns out in Barcelona. I expect RedBull to win by a landslide to be honest, but it will be interesting to see how it will pan out between McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes. Will be a real test on the Mercedes pace as well.
To be honest I feel none of the stints were really long enough to see but that first stint on the inter was mega a bit like the last stint in Imola. Shame he wasn’t rewarded with the win on both occasions.
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:01
What a race! That was heart in mouth stuff, excitement all race long.

It could have been ours but it wasn't to be and I also think we should have put one or both on Fresh mediums, but c'est la vie.
We had no fresh mediums. We had one set before the race. Maybe that is why we didn't pit for them.

It looks to me like no team had a great setup, McLaren looked great in drying conditions on old inters (heavy on fuel), VER looked good in the dry, Mercedes looked decent all the time. I think this is just because no one had time to get the setup right.

mwillems

After it rained the track came towards Merc again and after the next SC their fresh tyres helped. Still, good points.
Last edited by mwillems on 09 Jun 2024, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

CjC wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 00:33
Hoping for the best tomorrow but I have a feeling McLaren won’t break past the 200 point threshold tomorrow.
It’s probably going to be chaos. Safety cars (one or both of the Mclarens being the reason for said safety car[s]) numerous showers and pit stops etc
Glad my pessimism was misplaced. Smashed the 200 point threshold =D>

Darth-Piekus

So this is the difference now. Norris is 63 points from Max and Mclaren is 89 points from Red Bull. We have 15 more races. It is absolutely doable and Max won't be able to hold the championship alone. We need updates more than ever. If the car gets two more tenths compared to the rest then it's ours despite the slow start.

CjC
CjC

I think Max will win 75% of the remaining races. The championship is his and Red Bulls to loose in my opinion

willmesquita

I believe we bet on a wet/dry setup, and we just need a little shower aftee that last SC to have chances to win. Dry track + wet set up mean less straight line speed and overheating rear tires, Lando and Piastri could do nothing more on that last stint.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

the66
the66

Great race, a proper nail-biter :shock: First stint in particular, the conditions really seemed to suit us - I'm guessing the conditions suited the car's 'tyre window' well. Yet another great haul of points, so chuffed their hard work has paid off these last 2/3 yrs :D

As Emag mentions, Lando's race was superb, he's maturing into a great racer- kudos to Oscar too, he's hit the ground running and, for a relatively new guy, putting in great drives and pushing his team mate hard. Probably the best driver pairing at the moment, imo.

---------
Long time lurker and just joined, so 'Hi'. Followed McL since the 70's - have admired the knowledge so many of you have, much thanks for that!

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:31
I think Max will win 75% of the remaining races. The championship is his and Red Bulls to loose in my opinion
I think people will be in for a rude awakening in Barcelona, but I would love it if I was wrong.

RedBull also has upgrades coming there, so anything but a dominant RedBull win would be a surprise.

That's why I said earlier, I am more concerned with how the gaps to Ferrari and Mercedes will be.

Realistically, McLaren wont get another race win until the next round of upgrades comes, the magnitude of which will be crucial on how the rest of the season pans out with gaps being so close.

Darth-Piekus

CjC wrote:
Allow me to disagree. He should not have won today on merit if it wasn't for the SC. He can barely hold up two Mclarens anymore. If the car gain 2-3 more tenths on the next upgrade which I hope to come soon then the Mclarens will be untouchable even for Max.

Also for Emag nothing suggests that the upgrades will work. The last upgrade was a downgrade.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:35
CjC wrote:
I think people will be in for a rude awakening in Barcelona, but I would love it if I was wrong.

RedBull also has upgrades coming there, so anything but a dominant RedBull win would be a surprise.

That's why I said earlier, I am more concerned with how the gaps to Ferrari and Mercedes will be.

Realistically, McLaren wont get another race win until the next round of upgrades comes, the magnitude of which will be crucial on how the rest of the season pans out with gaps being so close.
I really don't get the pessimism. Lando ran away today and was unlucky to get caught by SC but unable to pit. Monaco would have been a win if the lap was just slightly better in qualy. Imola was probably 1-2 laps away from a win.

Darth-Piekus

Also nothing suggests that the upgrade of Red Bull will not be a downgrade as the last one.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:35
CjC wrote:

Now you mention them, has there been any natter about when McLarens next round of updates are coming?