Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

ajnลกpric_pumpa wrote:this "energy unit" looks like it's shaped to be in the v of ICE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... SEhXxWc3CQ
That thing bolts between the V of the engine, with the flat waffle looking side horizontal and facing down and the tapered object comes out on the left side of the engine. That Tapered object is what is covered by shielding and it can be seen in that photo of the Mp4-30 in the garage at Jerez. The orange cables now, would hang in front of the engine. This is my interpretation so it may be wrong though....
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

Redragon

PlatinumZealot wrote:
ajnลกpric_pumpa wrote:this "energy unit" looks like it's shaped to be in the v of ICE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... SEhXxWc3CQ
That thing bolts between the V of the engine, with the flat waffle looking side horizontal and facing down and the tapered object comes out on the left side of the engine. That Tapered object is what is covered by shielding and it can be seen in that photo of the Mp4-30 in the garage at Jerez. The orange cables now, would hang in front of the engine. This is my interpretation so it may be wrong though....
Could it be it is upside down?

scarbs
scarbs

5.3.7 The ES must be installed wholly within the survival cell.

Coefficient
Coefficient

scarbs wrote:5.3.7 The ES must be installed wholly within the survival cell.
Badoosh!!!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

PlatinumZealot

Didn't say it was the battery, Scarbs.. :wink: I know the video says it is the energy store... but I doubt it. I am basically out on a limb here.

There are talks of new technology between the V, and I feel this is what Honda is showcasing here.
You can see the waffle pattern casted aluminum, something that needs rigidity and light weight. Waffle casted slabs in the world of construction is what you use when you have large spans of ceiling in a building and you want a low slab weight with good rigity without using large beams. Honda has something in that thing that possibly is a moving part or a heat zone (heat exchanger)??? I don't know but it is very curious.

I will produce a drawing of what I think it looks like when righted.

Edit 2: Come to think of it... the Energy store does need to be very stiff too. It is underneath the survival cell as Sarbs said afterall. So chances are 70% this thing is the Battery and 30% it is some mystery technology between the V of the engine. I like the sound of mystery technology so I am going with the later!
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 13 Feb 2015, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Racing Green in 2028

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Didn't say it was the battery, Scarbs.. :wink:.
Besides, why would they want something that is fairly heavy (25kg right?) so high up? Even if they could. I'm curious as to what they're trying to show us here though.

My money is on a red herring or symbolism as of now.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Often the hydraulic manifold gets put in the V of the engine, that's what is suspect is in that unit.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

It's a Super capacitor, presumably?
If that is their energy store (and it's not just having external voltage put across it), I can't see how they'd get LIon to discharge that fast...

dero
dero

avatar wrote:It's a Super capacitor, presumably?
If that is their energy store (and it's not just having external voltage put across it), I can't see how they'd get LIon to discharge that fast...
Are you referring to the arcing in the video posted above?
Neither a Cap nor a Battery would arc over such a huge distance.
I don't get how any of you can read so much into such a cheesy marketing piece. I'd say there is about 0 real technical content in it.

cheers

PlatinumZealot

@ Scarbs. You are correct it is indeed the energy store. I have double checked with images of the mercedes energy store (aka the battery) and that one has very similar mounting points. The ES body has little ears with bolt holes to mount it to thw underside of the chassis. What makes the Honda one interesting then, is that it is shaped different.

Racing Green in 2028

PhillipM
PhillipM

dero wrote: Are you referring to the arcing in the video posted above?
I don't get how any of you can read so much into such a cheesy marketing piece. I'd say there is about 0 real technical content in it.

cheers
Pretty much, it's just a dummy piece attached to an external power source/tesla coil to give a visual effect for marketing.

dero wrote:
avatar wrote:It's a Super capacitor, presumably?
Are you referring to the arcing in the video posted above?

cheers
I just went & checked theFIA Voltage limit & it's 1KV (tech regs 5.12.5), so you're right if it were run at track-legal voltage, so its probably running a couple of MV voltage from a Tesla coil like someone else said. They could have wired their ES in as a Capacitor in the coil setup - not direct relevance, but wouldn't be possible with a LIon battery & RonD keeps yammering about them having something none else has run yet, so I made the leap.

Disappointingly, you're probably right that they're just arcing through the casing rather than it being wired in/active in the vid :(

mclaren111

F1 Fanatic:

Extra Cooling with air going to the rear. Like these much more than last year's !!

Last edited by mclaren111 on 15 Feb 2015, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

mclaren111

And here they are without:

Hail22

mclaren111 wrote:F1 Fanatic:

Extra Cooling with air going to the rear. Like these much more than last year's !!

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 70x313.jpg
Each individual cooling vein is perfectly scalloped, the one thing Mclaren technologies has been known to be great at is wind tunnel testing / track simulation to verify the tunnels performance and calculations.

What will be interesting to see at Barcelona, more so Australia is how much cooling the PU / hybrid system will require this season.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve