[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

JRindt wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 20:43
Lol :lol:

hahaha

He seemed to somehow turn in to Heath Ledgers "joker"!

Let's face it, we've all do it to a crowd now and again.
Last edited by mwillems on 08 Dec 2020, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Chicane wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:24
A George Russel could have a million excuses in a Williams which handles like a shopping trolley but he gets that thing in to Q1 ever so often. His performance in the Merc has made everyone sit up and take notice. So if Lando wants to win races in future he needs to start building his stock.

Lando struggles to drive around handling deficiencies which is a trait teams look in to. Carlos can to some extent but the real top drivers like Ricciardo, Leclerc, Hamilton, Verstappen can do it much more consistently. Abiteboul mentioned how Ricciardo's ability to cope with lower downforce gives him the edge.

F1 cars are not perfect,not even the Merc. Lando as things stand is a decent midfield pilot but if he wants to drive at the sharp end of the grid he has to start adding more strings to his bow. Would be nice if he can push Ricciardo on a consistent basis.

Ricciardo is one wily customer who suddenly pulls out a lap out of nowhere in Q3. He turns in to a bloodhound when he sniffs a top result. Lando has to start getting stuck a bit more into his races consistently instead of waking up when a third of the race is left. He has the ability but he needs to harness it. 2021 will be a make or break season for him as far as becoming a top driver is concerned.
Everybody gets into Q1...! Apart from me.... :roll:
They always stop me at the turnstyles when I tell them I'm the next Pastor Maldonado.

:mrgreen:

On another note, I agree.

-Bandit

mwillems

I didn't even realise it until I just read these two posts together, but I appear to be in a humorous mood.

Did you hear about the mathematician who was afraid of negative numbers?

He'd stop at nothing to avoid them.

-Bandit

Chicane
Chicane

mwillems wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 21:28
Chicane wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:24
A George Russel could have a million excuses in a Williams which handles like a shopping trolley but he gets that thing in to Q1 ever so often. His performance in the Merc has made everyone sit up and take notice. So if Lando wants to win races in future he needs to start building his stock.

Lando struggles to drive around handling deficiencies which is a trait teams look in to. Carlos can to some extent but the real top drivers like Ricciardo, Leclerc, Hamilton, Verstappen can do it much more consistently. Abiteboul mentioned how Ricciardo's ability to cope with lower downforce gives him the edge.

F1 cars are not perfect,not even the Merc. Lando as things stand is a decent midfield pilot but if he wants to drive at the sharp end of the grid he has to start adding more strings to his bow. Would be nice if he can push Ricciardo on a consistent basis.

Ricciardo is one wily customer who suddenly pulls out a lap out of nowhere in Q3. He turns in to a bloodhound when he sniffs a top result. Lando has to start getting stuck a bit more into his races consistently instead of waking up when a third of the race is left. He has the ability but he needs to harness it. 2021 will be a make or break season for him as far as becoming a top driver is concerned.
Everybody gets into Q1...! Apart from me.... :roll:
They always stop me at the turnstyles when I tell them I'm the next Pastor Maldonado.

:mrgreen:

On another note, I agree.
You know i meant Q2 obviously, ;)
Quickshifter

Lucky
Lucky

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:36
Emag wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:25
M840TR wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:02
Everyone overreacts massively on this thread after every race. One good performance and we've clinched P3, one bad performance and we're P6. The truth is RP should be much further ahead with the car they have. Mclaren has done well to be so close. And they can still win it, who knows.

This is just sports, luck is part of the game.
That's what I have been saying so far. Nevertheless, you have to admit that today was a pretty frustrating race from a McLaren's fan point of view.
This is where the need for a Merc engine and a top driver like Ricciardo was felt hard. Less reliability issues would've given them more Friday running and a better understanding of the car. Ricciardo would've brought more speed and experience in, like helping realise the importance of always putting a lap in quali no matter what.

Norris needs to pick his game up though. If he's getting so thoroughly beaten by Sainz, imagine Ricciardo in the other seat. I think even Sainz could've given Albon a run for his money for P3 in Bahrain 1.

Anyways, Perez is still at risk with his high mileage engine and you never know what could happen in a race so the team's still in with a shot.
Kind of funny how you on the one side say, refering to the Renault PU, "Less reliability issues would've given them more Friday running ". Then in refering to the Merc "Anyways, Perez is still at risk with his high mileage engine".

So is McLaren gonna have more a less reliability issues with Merc in 2021 if McLaren Renault have the upper hand going into the last race?

Someone's trying to have thier cake and eat it too.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 18:01
M840TR wrote:
Emag wrote:

That's what I have been saying so far. Nevertheless, you have to admit that today was a pretty frustrating race from a McLaren's fan point of view.
This is where the need for a Merc engine and a top driver like Ricciardo was felt hard. Less reliability issues would've given them more Friday running and a better understanding of the car. Ricciardo would've brought more speed and experience in, like helping realise the importance of always putting a lap in quali no matter what.

Norris needs to pick his game up though. If he's getting so thoroughly beaten by Sainz, imagine Ricciardo in the other seat. I think even Sainz could've given Albon a run for his money for P3 in Bahrain 1.

Anyways, Perez is still at risk with his high mileage engine and you never know what could happen in a race so the team's still in with a shot.
Kind of funny how you on the one side say, refering to the Renault PU, "Less reliability issues would've given them more Friday running ". Then in refering to the Merc "Anyways, Perez is still at risk with his high mileage engine".

So is McLaren gonna have more a less reliability issues with Merc in 2021 if McLaren Renault have the upper hand going into the last race?

Well you have to look at the whole season. Merc has been the most reliable engine on average. Whereas Honda and Renault always seem to have some sort of issues holding them down.

billamend
billamend

Emag
Emag

diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:
Emag wrote:

That's not really fair to say though. Perez was forced to take an old power unit to avoid penalties. He took power unit components that already had completed their expected mileage. If that engine does fail, I wouldn't necessarily count it as a failure of the Mercedes engine because it had already done its job.

Objectively speaking, Mercedes engines have been more reliable this year, and arguably the most powerful ones too.

CjC
CjC

billamend wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 19:04
I rather enjoyed Lando turning Carlos’ battery off :lol: :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

M840TR
M840TR

Emag wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 19:22
diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:

That's not really fair to say though. Perez was forced to take an old power unit to avoid penalties. He took power unit components that already had completed their expected mileage. If that engine does fail, I wouldn't necessarily count it as a failure of the Mercedes engine because it had already done its job.

Objectively speaking, Mercedes engines have been more reliable this year, and arguably the most powerful ones too.
Agreed but the blown engine was the new one. The old engine was the one he won the race with.

_cerber1

Actually, it's a little sad :cry: .

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 18:58
diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:

Well you have to look at the whole season. Merc has been the most reliable engine on average. Whereas Honda and Renault always seem to have some sort of issues holding them down.
Pretty certain that Renault has been as solid THIS year as Merc. Think about RP. Atleast 2 DNFS (1 each for Perez and stroll, and 1 DNS Hulk). There may be others. Williams has had a few issues too (Latifi 2 PU DNFs and 1 Russell). Bottas had 1 too.

Can't any actual accurate data.

godlameroso

I wonder how soon they started working on 2021. They haven't done much to the car, even Racing Point has developed more in the second half of the year.
Saishū kōnā

Morteza

_cerber1 wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 21:00
Actually, it's a little sad :cry: .
It is so well-done. That Checo joke at the beginning though :lol:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare