[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
billamend
billamend

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Emag wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 23:59
Dipesh1995 wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 23:55
Lando had an issue with car according to Seidl.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2020/sak ... rand-prix/
Yeah was just about to comment that. Apparently the bad luck stretches beyond our initial assumption :lol:
Hope some Norris haters read that.

Incredible how unlucky McLaren has been this season.

Emag
Emag

M840TR wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:02
Everyone overreacts massively on this thread after every race. One good performance and we've clinched P3, one bad performance and we're P6. The truth is RP should be much further ahead with the car they have. Mclaren has done well to be so close. And they can still win it, who knows.

This is just sports, luck is part of the game.
That's what I have been saying so far. Nevertheless, you have to admit that today was a pretty frustrating race from a McLaren's fan point of view.

Darth-Piekus

Now that I calmed somehow it was a frustrating race. Sure the RP car might be slightly faster than Mclaren but there has been plenty of occasions where we managed to beat them fair and square. Both Austrias come to mind, Silverstone, Monza, Spa and I would say in Mugello. The thing is everytime we were in front of them we could beat them. It also doesn't help that we lost so many points from Stroll taking Norris two times out and Sainz one time. There were also 3 occasions where Norris and Sainz were running to a podium only for the car to DNF. Sure RP had their own fair of badluck but nothing compared to ours. Covid didn't hurt them that much as they gained lots of points from Hulkenberg. Also in my opinion they should have been disqualified from the whole copy scandal and 15 points was a slap in the wrist. That alone gives them a lot of luck.

Still there is one more race to go. If for just this last race we have both drivers in front and they have bad luck then 10 points are nothing. They can be covered. Still they have the upper hand this year. I am expecting the FIA to throw some serious restrictions for 2021 and 2022 in terms of copy pasting cars cause this is against the spirit of F1.

M840TR
M840TR

Emag wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:25
M840TR wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:02
Everyone overreacts massively on this thread after every race. One good performance and we've clinched P3, one bad performance and we're P6. The truth is RP should be much further ahead with the car they have. Mclaren has done well to be so close. And they can still win it, who knows.

This is just sports, luck is part of the game.
That's what I have been saying so far. Nevertheless, you have to admit that today was a pretty frustrating race from a McLaren's fan point of view.
This is where the need for a Merc engine and a top driver like Ricciardo was felt hard. Less reliability issues would've given them more Friday running and a better understanding of the car. Ricciardo would've brought more speed and experience in, like helping realise the importance of always putting a lap in quali no matter what.

Norris needs to pick his game up though. If he's getting so thoroughly beaten by Sainz, imagine Ricciardo in the other seat. I think even Sainz could've given Albon a run for his money for P3 in Bahrain 1.

Anyways, Perez is still at risk with his high mileage engine and you never know what could happen in a race so the team's still in with a shot.

Jackles-UK

Without wanting to appear like I’m a Lando fanboy, I think everyone who’s giving him a hard time after today needs to relax a bit.

Maybe he didn’t perform to his full potential in qualifying yesterday but there were clearly issues with the car all weekend which didn’t help him and resulted in him starting on the back row today. He then bounced back to go from 19th on the grid to finishing in the points and he is still being slated in here? Carlos gained 10 places last week and was lauded as a superstar - Lando gained 9 places this week and is somehow being called out as being out of his depth?

Chaotic circumstances at races this year have ended up favouring McLaren at times (Austria, Monza, Turkey) and ended up favouring competitors at others (Sakhir, Russia, Belgium), it’s the way things go sometimes. As M840TR says, “it’s just sports”, it’s not a computer program where every result will be the same every time.

I get that some are upset at the way the RP’s have jumped up the field this year but McLaren have still made a huge jump up the field in terms of points earned year-on-year. Last season the team won 145 points across a 21-race season, this year the team have won 184 points after just 16 rounds with one round still to go so a little bit of reflection is required I think. There’s still every chance that the team can challenge for 3rd in the constructors but, even if they don’t, a huge amount of credit needs to go to everyone involved for a brilliant season and one freak race result which hands the advantage to their competitors shouldn’t change any of that.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

ALO_Power wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 23:25
Ye, I agree that he would stop at some point, what I didn't get was the timing since the VSC ended. Definitely we had terrible luck, that's for sure.
I'm guessing that once the VSC came out, they were on the radio calling him in but he was on the other side of the track. Once he got close to the pit entry, VSC was removed and everyone sped up. You could see on the TV that after Norris pitstop, the crew remained in the pit box waiting for Sainz. Just unlucky.

godlameroso

McLaren is going to struggle in Abu Dhabi, they're good on corner exit, but that understeer. You can see it's a well balanced car, but it just doesn't have the front end. Perhaps they need to sacrifice some of that balance for a little more performance from the front end. Oh well, the regulations are doing that for them next year.
Saishū kōnā

f1rules
f1rules

Well “we couldnt extract...” could be the same as “he couldnt...” maybe just seidl protecting his young driver that was nowhere this week

billamend wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:11
Emag wrote:
Dipesh1995 wrote:

Yeah was just about to comment that. Apparently the bad luck stretches beyond our initial assumption :lol:

diffuser

billamend wrote:
Emag wrote:
Dipesh1995 wrote:

You know., That kind of reads like "Norris's pace was so much worse that Sainz's, there must have been something wrong with the car. We have to investigate." They don't really know there was something wrong.

To me his pace was consistent with the rest of the weekend.

When I was watching Norris's onboard, I saw him hit a steering wheel button and big red A14 or A04 come up.

Chicane
Chicane

You know what the standards are in f1? Bottas is on a perennial one year extension despite pushing Lewis to the edge on Saturdays, where a driver like Perez does not have a drive and George Russel showed yesterday that if one has the talent he can get in to the car at such short notice and do the job in a car in which he doesn't even fit.

Loosely using words like haters is not going to change anything or make anyone's argument more credible. Fact of the matter is that Norris bottled it in qualifying big time and his pace was 5 to 6 tenths per lap slower than Sainz on most occasions yesterday and this with a fresh PU and starting on fresh tyres.

This is a technical forum where loose vague arguments do not fit. Teams do intensive and exhaustive debriefs and not based on results alone. It is the performance which is analysed threadbare not just the car's but driver's as well.

Contrary to Lando's claims he spent large chunks of the race 'relatively' in reasonable amount of free air. For anyone who follows every lap on live timing would see yesterday's race as not a surprise. Norris has issues with consistency across the race. His lap times compared to Sainz were not just slower but significantly inconsistent as well.

Seidl was scratching his head to explain the bottle job on Saturday on Sky. You have to make do with the tools at hand. Lando needs to lift his game by a significant margin to keep his seat cos McLaren, especially Seidl has big expectations from the pilots.

F1 is cut throat you don't normalise poor performance with frivolous excuses. Here you survive as long as you are at least pulling your own weight. There are no freebies in f1, this is a hard grind and every driver even Lewis Hamilton is not given any leeway after winning 7 championships. Ricciardo is a ruthless competitor and Lando is in for a mauling if he doesn't wake up soon enough.
Quickshifter

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Chicane wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 07:52
You know what the standards are in f1? Bottas is on a perennial one year extension despite pushing Lewis to the edge on Saturdays, where a driver like Perez does not have a drive and George Russel showed yesterday that if one has the talent he can get in to the car at such short notice and do the job in a car in which he doesn't even fit.

Loosely using words like haters is not going to change anything or make anyone's argument more credible. Fact of the matter is that Norris bottled it in qualifying big time and his pace was 5 to 6 tenths per lap slower than Sainz on most occasions yesterday and this with a fresh PU and starting on fresh tyres.

This is a technical forum where loose vague arguments do not fit. Teams do intensive and exhaustive debriefs and not based on results alone. It is the performance which is analysed threadbare not just the car's but driver's as well.

Contrary to Lando's claims he spent large chunks of the race 'relatively' in reasonable amount of free air. For anyone who follows every lap on live timing would see yesterday's race as not a surprise. Norris has issues with consistency across the race. His lap times compared to Sainz were not just slower but significantly inconsistent as well.

Seidl was scratching his head to explain the bottle job on Saturday on Sky. You have to make do with the tools at hand. Lando needs to lift his game by a significant margin to keep his seat cos McLaren, especially Seidl has big expectations from the pilots.

F1 is cut throat you don't normalise poor performance with frivolous excuses. Here you survive as long as you are at least pulling your own weight. There are no freebies in f1, this is a hard grind and every driver even Lewis Hamilton is not given any leeway after winning 7 championships. Ricciardo is a ruthless competitor and Lando is in for a mauling if he doesn't wake up soon enough.
The issue is you make it sound like he bottles it frequently in qualifying, which simply isn’t the case. It’s not about being haters or fanboys, it’s about realistic expectations and balanced criticisms. The boys spend half of the FP’s testing parts and are left chasing the weekend. That’s not ideal for a driver in his second year. There are more challenges for Lando than we take into account. He’s ahead of every other 2nd driver in the midfield, including Vettel, 6 points behind Albon, after yesterday’s disaster-class. Lando needs to improve, who doesn’t? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don’t know where these bizarre high standards and expectations are coming from. Ricciardo this, Ricciardo that, against Lando? We’re comparing Lando with drivers at the sharp end of the grid, with loads more experience, race wins and pole positions, why? Lando had a bad weekend, drivers have bad weekends. He’s on a learning curve and the stats say he’s improving. Lando is driving a McLaren, one would think he’s underperforming in a Mercedes or Red Bull.
Last edited by Ground Effect on 07 Dec 2020, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

Chicane wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 07:52

Well said.

It’s going to be a big year for Lando next season. He will be by no means a rookie in his third season and he needs to deliver session in session out through the season.

There will be extra pressure running the Mercedes PU too because although we don’t know what the factory Merc team will do driver wise IF they stick with Lewis and Bottas for 2022 a certain George Russell could be parachuted in along side the Mercedes PU.
Also Perez.... he keeps saying he has options for 2022- there no reason to think one of those options is a Mclaren seat
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

diffuser wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:23
BTW, you guys better be carefull what you say to me. I asked the gods to get rid of the Mercs and Max in the remaining races to make F1 more exciting. They heard me!!!!

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
=D> =D> :lol: :lol: =D> =D>

CjC
CjC

billamend wrote:
Emag wrote:
Dipesh1995 wrote:

I agree that Mclaren have been very unlucky this season, it’s not just the bad luck happening to Mclaren- most of the time Mclaren have a normal weekend but their main competitors have good luck which in turn can see as bad luck for Mclaren....

Responding to the Norris haters comment and I feel I may be but in this bracket for the amount of stick I give him.
I don’t hate him, I’d love to see a fellow Brit do well in the sport it’s just I think he should be doing so much better. He’s highly paid and I feel he isn’t deserving of it (I think the same for 99.9% of footballers but that’s not for here).
Lando is quick as his quali record shows but for me Sainz shows him how to race come race day, as another member pointed out Lando can be quite inconsistent during the races and that can be said for the season as a whole
Just a fan's point of view

bauc

I'm disappointed with the result yesterday but I'm glad for Checo, he deserved to win. We most probably lost the fight for P3 but this should be a motivation plus to get that P3 next year. Noting is over and I'm sure the team will fight strong till the last lap in Abu Dabi.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg