2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 23:07
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 23:02
https://i.postimg.cc/h4NYBTYW/image.png

Interesting...I watched Leclerc's onboard. The anti-stall system behaved like the regulations require. For F1TV timestamp purposes, the anti-stall activated at 57:11, just after Leclerc tried to move the car, and then turned the engine off at 57:21, exactly 10 seconds later, as required by the regulations.
After rewatching his onboard and re-listening to the comms, I believe his complaint was that even though the anti-stall triggered and he followed the usual protocol, it killed the engine instead of keeping it alive as it is supposed to. So it did give the normal 10 seconds, the system just didn't work from his perspective.

I don't think from our perspective we can tell if it's a driver, software, or PU issue -- we simply don't have enough information without seeing the exact inputs and the screen. It's funny to think it might be driver error but it's not like the anti-stall is some obscure feature and it's pretty obvious on the dashboard.
I agree, I can hardly say anything. We just don't know. I revised my post.

ScuderiaLeo

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 23:13

I agree, I can hardly say anything. We just don't know. I revised my post.
That's fair. I don't think Ferrari will comment because it would be drawing more attention to their already very large list of problems...

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 22:57
Also it's hilarious how yesterday we were being told to expect a better weekend while today Sainz is saying they're happy with P5. And by hilarious I mean hilariously sad. I haven't lost all hope yet but if by Silverstone they still haven't found those supposed two tenths they were anticipating, I think we can safely assume it's just not happening.
To be fair, Sainz is ahead of Leclerc, which is the only thing he seems to care about, so he's happy.

dialtone
dialtone

People complaining about strategy here… every team did this, for once the strategy dept isn’t at fault.

Lack of car performance is the problem.

ScuderiaLeo

dialtone wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 01:07
People complaining about strategy here… every team did this, for once the strategy dept isn’t at fault.

Lack of car performance is the problem.
Every team did it ("going out late"), but it was to varying degrees. When the track is so short, there is a large difference between say, going 1 minute and 30 seconds before the session ends and 1 minute and 50 seconds seconds before the session ends. Scenario B means you can comfortably do an out lap and then the hot lap, Scenario A (which Leclerc's timing was going to put him on anyway) means you have to do a suboptimal out lap to make it to the flag in time. Then there's also the fact you can easily hit traffic here, etc.

I really doubt the 30 seconds they waited was worth the track evolution. It would have been too close for comfort and there's no reason to risk it that closely. Even Verstappen, who left the pits a few seconds before the bottom 3, complained that he didn't have enough time for a comfortable out lap.

* Edit: For comparison's sake, I got the exact session time remaining as it appeared when each driver exited the pit lane. Leclerc was behind Perez in the queue.

HAM: 2:10
RUS: 2:05
PIA: 1:55
NOR: 1:44
SAI: 1:39
VER: 1:25
OCO: 1:15
PER: 1:06
GAS: 1:05
Last edited by ScuderiaLeo on 29 Jun 2024, 01:52, edited 5 times in total.

deadhead

dani5549 wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 19:29
deadhead wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 19:28
SoulPancake13 wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 18:55

Without bouncing, yes, more DF would be great. The issue is the technicians saw in the sim that bouncing wouldn't occur until they reached a certain speed, but with more downforce, I believe this speed is lowered, and so it didn't show up until they went on track.
I understand now but there are two or possibly three teams now with a sufficient amount of downforce. It's a speculative guess, but the RB20 might be generating more downforce than the SF24, which does not result in bouncing.

What component of the car is responsible for keeping it stable?
Suspension has a great role in keeping the ride height stable
https://f1ingenerale-com.translate.goog ... r_pto=wapp

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

Huuh Next year? :D I really like a full test with old just the imola package,i wonder how well it would fair in this track compared to current "Upgrade", I don't remember they had any bouncing issue then.

FeelHeel
FeelHeel

So we’re in a battle with AMR over who can roll out the biggest DOWNgrades. And the guy responsible has fled. The team is obviously looking for leadership. Are they just putting in the time, hoping Newey will be their savior?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man, but he was not a good man.
— Phil Hill

yooogurt

Fakepivot wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 03:44
Huuh Next year?
you didnt get to the end:
"From what we gathered in the Austrian paddock, we heard that experiments on the rear suspension are underway at Ferrari. Furthermore, it appears that the remaining 20% ​​from Barcelona, ​​which is expected to debut at Silverstone, will feature changes to the rear suspension to correct this problem."
FORZA FERRARI!

organic

Turkish Motorsport.com journalist says that according to their sources, there was no issue with the power units in SQ3 & that the engine shutdown was due to clutch release by the driver

aleks_ader

Hmm seems only Mclaren and now seemingly Merc cracked the code how RB works. :d Cardile statements, that suspension is overrated seemingly bite them in ass ? :D Hmm i guess only Newey knows that.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

yooogurt

From Italian motorsport
While driving slowly, Leclerc probably released the clutch too abruptly, causing the anti stall system to engage. A message appears on the steering wheel display signaling that the system has started to operate, a kind of necessary warning, since keeping the engine at stall speed is limited to a few seconds for safety reasons.

The pilot must intervene immediately by activating the clutch and performing a manual procedure to allow the engine to continue running. Leclerc, probably distracted by the queue, which was moving very slowly, and by the fact that he had little time to get back on track, did not correctly follow the various steps required for the procedure and the power unit shut down. At this point Charles had to perform a restart procedure, the operation was successful but cost the Monegasque about fifteen seconds.
FORZA FERRARI!

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

yooogurt wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 09:45

"From what we gathered in the Austrian paddock, we heard that experiments on the rear suspension are underway at Ferrari. Furthermore, it appears that the remaining 20% ​​from Barcelona, ​​which is expected to debut at Silverstone, will feature changes to the rear suspension to correct this problem."
I know I read that, but other reports also mentioned how they will completely revise the suspension design next year.. so I would not bet they can solve it next race.. it would be nice if they can..

aleks_ader

no but more seriously. Purposing modelling can be at fault and approximations needs to be readjusted. Like in all CFD algorithms and postulations.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

yooogurt

Fakepivot wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 10:32
I know I read that, but other reports also mentioned how they will completely revise the suspension design next year.. so I would not bet they can solve it next race.. it would be nice if they can..
I think they wanted to change the suspension this year as well, but the BC at full aero redesign didnt allow for it
FORZA FERRARI!