2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 14:20
Yeah that comment by Vanja really triggered me to be honest, I did not expect that.

Back on topic though, more positive signs for a good quali here :

https://i.imgur.com/AtUPbdH.png

Apart from Lando setting the lap on used tires, it seems like he was on a very conservative deployment strategy too, with signs of clipping at the top-end.
Yeah Ferrari usually push a bit more in FP3. Clipping looked only a little more for us than Ferrari on balance but definately signs we weren't pushing as much with the top speeds and the use of gears.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Slahinki
Slahinki

PhillipM wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 14:11
It's practice, there's no such thing as impeding in practice.
And for a good reason, everyone is running their own strategies, tests and warmup work.

I'd expect better from a technical forum.
Great to have you back even if it's just for this one comment, your contributions to this forum are sorely missed.

Darth-Piekus

With all what happened today from the fire to the road rage I have a good feeling we are gonna get pole and the victory tomorrow.

As for both Stroll and Leclerc even if they were impeded in practice what they did was unacceptable behavior and should both get a penalty for it.

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 14:31
PhillipM wrote:
And for a good reason, everyone is running their own strategies, tests and warmup work.

Exactly this. Plus who does push laps AFTER time has expired in FP3??

they should throw the book at LEC for driving into another car on purpose
Anyone can push on that lap, it doesnt factor in. Lando should still be aware and try not to be in the way.

The only thing that counts is that there was space for Leclerc.and he slowed down and drove into a car anyway.

Slam dunk for me. There is no situation that justifies that. But it will likely be a warning...

-Bandit

PhillipM
PhillipM

Slahinki wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 14:33
PhillipM wrote:

Great to have you back even if it's just for this one comment, your contributions to this forum are sorely missed.
I still read here, as do a few of the others - I just don't comment any more.
Just some comments are so :wtf: #-o sometimes you can't help it...

Emag
Emag

I don't understand how anyone can argue Lando was anywhere near the racing line. Charles raged like a moron and drove into him for no reason.

Last year's pole lap for reference :

No driver takes a tight line there because you want to be as straight as possible for the upcoming chicane. The inside where Lando was is completely off the racing line.

CjC
CjC

After seeing the few seconds before the incident, Lando could have pulled over a few corners sooner, I think Leclerc had lost his head at the hairpin the corner before
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Landos positioning has nothing to do with this.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Jun 2024, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

AnotherAlex
AnotherAlex

PhillipM wrote:

It would be more accurate to say that there isn't a penalty for impeding in practice.

BMMR61

Cool heads everyone. :D :wtf:
Leclerc's actions were somewhat in the vein of Seb Vettel's road rage "he brake tested me" attack on LH.

mwillems

AnotherAlex wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 14:56
PhillipM wrote:

It would be more accurate to say that there isn't a penalty for impeding in practice.
Exactly.

Which no one suggested in the first place.

Usual storm in a tea cup when someone doesn't like an opinion, even if it was particularly biased 🙃 Seems to be some politics involved here.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Let my opinion mean nothing and this will be done off topic: Stroll and Leclerc are behaving like children. It is unprofessional to behave like this. Okay, he blocked. It happens. But why react like that? Leclerc with such an attitude will never beat Hamilton. For such an incident, Lando received an official warning, while there was no contact with George in Monaco after the tunnel.

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 14:59
AnotherAlex wrote:
PhillipM wrote:

Exactly.

Usual storm in a tea cup when someone doesn't like an opinion, even if it was particularly biased 🙃 Seems to be some politics involved here.
I guarantee you, reverse the drivers and everyone would be calling Lando an impulsive child.

Seems unfair for Leclerc not to get the same treatment when he unarguably made an immature and plain stupid move on what was simply a practice session. I don't think he will get a penalty, because it was indeed a practice session and maybe stewards will give in a little wiggle room.

Anyway, I would much rather have them win it out on track on pure pace. Temporary "victories" induced by punishments on the other drivers are not something I indulge in.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 15:13
mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 14:59
AnotherAlex wrote:

Exactly.

I guarantee you, reverse the drivers and everyone would be calling Lando an impulsive child.

Seems unfair for Leclerc not to get the same treatment when he unarguably made an immature and plain stupid move on what was simply a practice session. I don't think he will get a penalty, because it was indeed a practice session and maybe stewards will give in a little wiggle room.

Anyway, I would much rather have them win it out on track on pure pace. Temporary "victories" induced by punishments on the other drivers are not something I indulge in.
Oh I think he should be penalised, it was stupid. I've said that already. It's just the reaction to Vanja which is over the top and misinterpreted by some. We all have an over the top opinion and get it wrong.

I agree with your assessment and of who is at fault.

IF the FIA don't penalise Leclerc, then you'll see me getting annoyed however 🤣

I know with Sainz and Piastri I was more prosaic about it all. But this wasn't a racing incident, it's an action that can cause damage and accidents. It should be zero tolerance.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Jun 2024, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

chrisc90

Norris was reprimanded in Monaco (against Russell) and there was no contact, so wasnt deemed dangerous by the stewards.
While in this instance the move was not dangerous, this sort of action could potentially lead to a dangerous situation and should be avoided.
If there was contact between Lec and Norris, is that sufficient enough to be deemed dangerous?

That will be the threshold between a reprimand and a penalty IMHO.