2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tomsky
Tomsky

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:57
Not to Oscar's defense. But he was good until he went into the gravel.
Oscar was losing to Lando's best time 0.5 seconds after the second sector.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Piastri was not able to save a set of soft tires in qualifying like Norris did, which also implies that he was generally not on the pace.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Idea that VER has more downforce than NOR comes from the fact that VER was able to take couple of corners flat out while NOR made a small lift. Problem with that idea is that NOR carried more speed in those corners. If you come into a corner with lower speed, you can take it flat easier.

With the way VER gains on straight looks like he has less drag or it is up to different lines or deployments. Quite strange.

geogate
geogate

Lando has learnt from last year. He was well aware of his delta, that he had taken the best out of his tyres in the second sector - The final corner was taking a confidence lift to not throw away the lap as he has done more than once in the past. I think looking at the data, Lando is right to say that was probably one of his best laps he has done. It was measure, methodical and defensive where he could spare the delta.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 04:27
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:57
Not to Oscar's defense. But he was good until he went into the gravel.
Oscar was losing to Lando's best time 0.5 seconds after the second sector.
I'm talking about the present moment, at that very moment, while he was driving and attacking, and I was watching the sectors. At that moment, Oscar was driving well. And the fact that Max and Lando then improved a lot, happened later. Let's say that if Oscar had finished his second run well, and Max and Lando had not improved in the second run, then Oscar would have been there and that would have been good for him, as a driver who does not feel comfortable. Well, as I said, it was not said in his defense. :)

the EDGE
the EDGE

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 04:45
Piastri was not able to save a set of soft tires in qualifying like Norris did, which also implies that he was generally not on the pace.
You say that… but wasn’t he only a tenth or so behind Lando after his first Q2 lap?

I seem to remember thinking at the time it was pointless running his 2nd lap in that session

Only having 1 lap in Q3 puts unnecessary pressure on the driver, it happened with Lando many times too

geogate
geogate

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 08:02
Idea that VER has more downforce than NOR comes from the fact that VER was able to take couple of corners flat out while NOR made a small lift. Problem with that idea is that NOR carried more speed in those corners. If you come into a corner with lower speed, you can take it flat easier.

With the way VER gains on straight looks like he has less drag or it is up to different lines or deployments. Quite strange.
Lando seemed to have better traction out the corners too, especially in sector 2

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Where can I get some statistics on the speed in the last corner? Let's say for all the cars in qualifying. Just to understand who has what kind of grip in a fast corner. Turn 14 is quite sharp and not as long and smooth as, for example, Copse in Silverstone. It seems that Copse allows you to pass at higher speeds.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 08:02

Ver did carry more speed in the last corner but his time gain was inconsequential. His big gain at the end came on the straight and not because of his corner exit. Looks like deployment.

They may well be set up to do well in the higher speed corner deliberately or, as is more likely, because they knew the lower speed corners would hurt them, which they did. Like I said yesterday, there is a lot more that affects this than a rear wing that's a little bigger than ours. And the car is trying to add downforce precisely because it is lacking downforce.
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Jun 2024, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 08:55
Where can I get some statistics on the speed in the last corner? Let's say for all the cars in qualifying. Just to understand who has what kind of grip in a fast corner. Turn 14 is quite sharp and not as long and smooth as, for example, Copse in Silverstone. It seems that Copse allows you to pass at higher speeds.
Go to F1 Tempo and select the individuals you want to check.

I had a look yesterday. Max speed in the last corner is consistent. Landos speed was best on his pole lap, but always close to that speed with his lift decreasing with each qualy lap.

But the gain in that corner for Max was tiny. His big gain appeared to come from battery left at the end of the lap that Lando didn't have.

In the race the speeds will be similar here.

-Bandit

BMMR61

AR3-GP wrote:
Oscar was ahead of Charles in P6 after the first runs in Q2. It was a time which clearly could only come under threat from Lewis. Charles chose not to run and his time stood. Oscar wasted a set. Simple as that I think unless someone can contradict that he wasted a set of new softs in Q2 unnecessarily. Something for McLaren to contemplate. Oscar seemed to spend a lot of time during FP on mediums, I assumed because they wanted good data on race pace, and Oscar is normally good on single lap pace. One of Oscar's poorest weekends this year..... so far.

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 09:33
LionsHeart wrote:

I had a look yesterday. Max speed in the last corner is consistent. Landos speed was best on his pole lap, but always close to that speed with his lift decreasing with each qualy lap.

But the gain in that corner for Max was tiny. His big gain appeared to come from battery left at the end of the lap that Lando didn't have.

From your data dive do you think Max will have enough to DRS/draft past Lando if he doesn't get the jump at the start? My thought is that on the fast final section the wash will be too strong for the following car to get a good enough exit. A common problem at Barcelona.

CjC
CjC

the EDGE wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 23:57
I think the starts going to be the hardest. It’s a long run to turn 1, and RB are quick in a straight line

What’s more, Lando’s biggest strength recently has been the way in which he bring’s in the tyres. He’s going to be under big pressure at the start, the 2 biggest names in F1 are breathing down his neck. Lando will not have the luxury of managing his tyres early in the stint tomorrow

If he can survive the 1st lap, he can win the race
This is my concern too, as well as the pace of the Mercedes on a green track.
I have full faith in Lando but it’s going to be a massive fight to get on the podium.
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 10:00
mwillems wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 09:33
LionsHeart wrote:

From your data dive do you think Max will have enough to DRS/draft past Lando if he doesn't get the jump at the start? My thought is that on the fast final section the wash will be too strong for the following car to get a good enough exit. A common problem at Barcelona.
I have no idea how the race will pan out. If it was based on yesterdays conditions and track evolution that you'd say max would struggle to be close enough at the final corner to make a pass but he certainly has the kph to do it. With a fast exit drag is a factor all along the straight and so a tow and DRS benefit is amplified. But I'd say we'd likely be very close to Max if we were behind him and we'd also be able to get back past him. The Mclaren also has a nice front bite and will facilitate an attack at turn 1 against anyone they come up against.

The only thing I'm sure of is that there will be plenty of hard racing in the top 10 cars and no one can take anything for granted. I think Oscar will be better today and should climb a few places.

-Bandit

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 09:58
AR3-GP wrote:
Oscar was ahead of Charles in P6 after the first runs in Q2. It was a time which clearly could only come under threat from Lewis. Charles chose not to run and his time stood. Oscar wasted a set. Simple as that I think unless someone can contradict that he wasted a set of new softs in Q2 unnecessarily. Something for McLaren to contemplate. Oscar seemed to spend a lot of time during FP on mediums, I assumed because they wanted good data on race pace, and Oscar is normally good on single lap pace. One of Oscar's poorest weekends this year..... so far.
Oscar was 3 tenths from Lando at best, possibly up to half a second if his Q3 run plan had gone OK. He wasn't in the mix this weekend, but the Sunday is when the give the prizes out. But I don't think you can argue that he isn't having a poor weekend so far.

-Bandit