2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TFSA

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

dialtone wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 06:28
First of all there are plenty of rules about this, Sporting Regulation 33.4:
At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be
deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person.
I don't think we need a trial to say that a driver attempting to get justice for themselves against another driver is acting dangerously.

Not if he does it by doing a legal move. For someone arguing "RBR fans" are biased, you yourself are stretching the rulebook rather excessively right now, trying to penalize what is a completely legal overtake.

Overtakes like that are how the sport has been done since pretty much the beginning. It's par for the course. In fact, the overtake itself was great. It wasn't late, and he was well past Ocon at the apex and still made the corner. Had this been performed in a race, that would have been labeled a great overtake - and as such, it's not a dangerous move.

Schumacher '97 was deemed retaliatory/dangerous and against the spirit of the sport, and since he had committed similar violations before, however unpunished, was eliminated from the whole WDC post race. Schumacher didn't calculate that he was in Ferrari when he hit Villeneuve and not in a Benetton any more. Rookie mistake.

Schumacher actually caused a collision which was clearly his fault, and hence is considered foul. That's a massive difference.

Motivation can matter if you actually commit a foul. Max didn't. You can argue that he's petty, hot headed, immature (i argued the same on Discord if you recall). But if no illegal move was performed, then it's entirely irrelevant what the motivation was.

I have no idea how RBR fans in general accused Hamilton of pushing Max out on purpose in Silverstone and then, when Max behaves self-admittedly with retaliatory behavior you are ready to justify it.

Stop lumping all fans together. The fans arguing Hamilton did Silverstone on purpose is unlikely to be the same arguing Max did nothing wrong here.

Referring to people who are likely getting tinfoil hats for christmas isn't really a great way to argue. In fact, the entire "RBR fans" (or any other team/driver for that matter) argument is seriously getting old. Let's stick to arguing the racing situation.

The lack of consistency in your judgements is maddening.
Where's the inconsistency? HAM/VER in Austria wasn't investigated either.

Can you point to a somewhat recent qualifying situation where two drivers interfered with each others hot laps in a similar way, and penalties were handed out?
The fact that FIA has a standard for punishment of these behaviors inferior to that of iRacing is an embarrassment, not something to justify because "there is no rule against it" which is also obviously not true.
I refer to my previous post. There's no need for any rule changes here.

You have two drivers interfering with each other on a hot lap by racing. They both ruin each other's laps, but no illegal or dangerous moves were performed (as mentioned, it's a completely standard inside overtake). It's self policing - racing other drivers in qualifying is a risk, and in this case, both drivers got their lap ruined for that risk.

There's no need to get stewards involved for either driver. In fact, in this case, that's likely to just cause a ton of investigations into drivers trying to beat each other to begin a lap for absolutely no reason.
Last edited by TFSA on 19 Nov 2023, 07:16, edited 2 times in total.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Verstappen told 'Dutch viaply' that his move on Ocon into turn one was deliberate retaliation because he felt Ocon compromised him in the final corner. So in response he decided to ruin Ocon's lap.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Race day! I hear the parade car leaked oil on Verstappen's side of the grid.

search

yes, I heard Dialtone was seen near the classic car paddock ;).

Have a good race everyone!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

search wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 07:18

lol! :lol: :lol:

dialtone
dialtone

search wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 07:18

What gave me away?

Anyway, congrats Max for the win and hopefully Ferrari can get a double podium.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RB with a giant glue gun attending to Verstappen's DRS mechanism. Promising :lol:

TFSA

dialtone wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 07:39
What gave me away?
The obvious.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 07:51
RB with a giant glue gun attending to Verstappen's DRS mechanism. Promising :lol:
Maybe just fixing the gurney down securely?

mendis
mendis

dialtone wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 03:43
mendis wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 18:54

Wow, absolute wow #-o
What if today had caused Ocon to crash and get injured, would you still think Max was justified

That would be Max.
It was Ocon's fault.
It’s totally irrelevant, especially in the US, but it’s the same in any legal system in the world, attempted crime is punished, although less than the successful crime.

Ocon should have been punished, Max should have been punished. The sole attempt at retaliation is enough in any legal system, let alone in sports rules, to warrant punishment. Even the corrupt FIFA punishes attempts at retaliation.

RBR fans aren’t familiar with rules, particularly when applied to their own team, not sure they believe rules even exist for RBR.
Rules don't allow over speeding on the roads! This is racing.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Usual overtaking move from Max..

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

This type of overtaking definitely shouldn't be allowed. Anyone on the inside line in P2 can do this type of move, dive deep and push the guy on the outside off.

If this is allowed - it will happen again.

VER is fast enough - championship is not on the line, easy decision to force a swap and make a precedent. Imagine if they end up having to do it when it is a title fight.

djones
djones

Amateur of the season award goes to Alonso.

murinus
murinus

MV really is a joke, as is F1. I mean he is always dive bombing, forcing others off track and always gets away with it. It is ridiculus

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Wow it will snow in Las Vegas with this precedent.