Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Stu

Re: Ferrari F1-75

JPBD1990 wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 02:40
Please proof-read ‘copy-paste’ posts. This makes zero sense!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

SiLo

Stu wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 10:07
JPBD1990 wrote:
What does engine cooling have to do with speed through slow corners? :lol: :lol:
Felipe Baby!

LM10
LM10

SiLo wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 14:08
Stu wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
What does engine cooling have to do with speed through slow corners? :lol: :lol:
I read the article on F1analisitecnica (translated). It's the tweeter's fault who made it look like the cooling of the PU and the speed through the corners might be coupled.
Actually, in the article both things are mentioned independetly from each other. It says that Leclerc and Sainz managed to brake late into the corners, yet could take the corners with ease and this could be observed lap after lap despite high fuel.
As for the PU, it says that the cooling layout of the PU is one of the strengths of the Ferrari, whatever that means exactly.
Last edited by LM10 on 05 Mar 2022, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

JPower
JPower

SiLo wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 14:08
Stu wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
They don’t. The tweet just took random pieces of this article.

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/202 ... nello.html

f1316
f1316

It is interesting that they taped off most of the louvres in Barcelona. Yes, it’s cooler than it will be at most of the circuits they’ll go to but I wonder if :

(a) they’ll bring an alternate engine cover with fewer louvres for cooler conditions (you would imagine it would be preferable for airflow to have a smooth surface)?
(b) there’ll be a need for some kind of more easily removable cover to manage this in the event that conditions change mid-race (eg a race that starts wet and dries up). Usually you see tape removed from sidepod entry or brake ducts at pitstops in these conditions so some kind of bespoke solutions to do the same here might be a thing? Possibly overkill though as I can imagine it would be hard to do in a 2-3 sec stop

Jakxy
Jakxy

shamyakovic wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 01:46
LM10 wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 00:20
Both, The Race and Mark Hughes in an article on the official homepage of Formula 1 wrote that Ferrari is believed to not have adopted the split turbo design.
Considering we’ve not heard a single word of Ferrari actually building a split turbo - while on the other hand it’s been long known that Renault was - I don’t see a reason why we should believe in Ferrari having one. That animation from ChronoGP out of nowhere does not change that, unless they’ve reliable insider information.

This video shows ferrari indeed has split turbo
I am very confused. All we heard was Ferrari won’t have Split turbo. #-o #-o

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ot ... o/8725227/

Ferrari are said to be 5-10kg over the minimum weight. While this is probably nothing but speculation because sources aren’t cited, this is the first article I’ve seen to mention Ferrari and min weight specifically. Previously we’d only heard of Alfa, McLaren and redbull.

I kind of hope it’s not true because 5-10kg is a lot to find ‘out of nowhere’ and may leave them on the back foot.

Edit: adding this article too:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... lona-2022/

“ It is no surprise that Ferrari cuts the best figure even if you break down the Barcelona route into its individual parts. The F1-75 does not seem to show any weaknesses. He is in the good midfield in top speed, in the top 4 in the first and second sectors and in second place in the slowest part of the track. Since the environment was consistently on softer tires, Ferrari's sector times are even higher.

Especially in the final section. Before Mercedes distorted the picture a little on the third day with its extra-soft C5 tires, Charles Leclerc was the star in Sector 3 twice. The Ferrari can drive with more travel than the competition without losing decisively in downforce in the fast corners. This helps with traction.

And it gives an idea of what tactics Ferrari is pursuing. You want to shine in the slow curves because you get more lap time there than in the fast ones. This is not so easy with Groundeffect cars. They actually only work if you drive deep and hard.”

JPower
JPower

JPBD1990 wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 04:47
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ot ... o/8725227/

Ferrari are said to be 5-10kg over the minimum weight. While this is probably nothing but speculation because sources aren’t cited, this is the first article I’ve seen to mention Ferrari and min weight specifically. Previously we’d only heard of Alfa, McLaren and redbull.

I kind of hope it’s not true because 5-10kg is a lot to find ‘out of nowhere’ and may leave them on the back foot.
Not that worried about it and it seems like no one at Ferrari is either. From what I remember hearing from the reveal, they had make some tough choices re aero vs weight. Alfa tried to go for weight and has ended up needing a heavier floor.

aleks_ader

10kg is give or take 0.25s. ofc depends of CofG and track layout.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

dialtone
dialtone

aleks_ader wrote:10kg is give or take 0.25s. ofc depends of CofG and track layout.
That’s a comparison against an ideal car. In practice though only Alfa is there, and they will add 5kg, they say, to fix the delicate floor. Merc is 4kg heavier Ferrari is not paying 0.25 but maybe 0.1 at worst.

mzso
mzso

ryaan2904 wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 14:03
So Ferrari are ducting air through the side pods .. and they've chosen to use the suspension attachment point as the exit, straight onto the beam wing
Also high-tech louver covers. :)

mzso
mzso

shamyakovic wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Both, The Race and Mark Hughes in an article on the official homepage of Formula 1 wrote that Ferrari is believed to not have adopted the split turbo design.
Considering we’ve not heard a single word of Ferrari actually building a split turbo - while on the other hand it’s been long known that Renault was - I don’t see a reason why we should believe in Ferrari having one. That animation from ChronoGP out of nowhere does not change that, unless they’ve reliable insider information.

Maybe we'll get some proper photos from the Bahrain test to confirm/discredit this.
I think it would be an ominous thing for Ferrari if only they didn't have the thing that everyone gravitated towards.

f1316
f1316

mzso wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 18:28
shamyakovic wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Maybe we'll get some proper photos from the Bahrain test to confirm/discredit this.
I think it would be an ominous thing for Ferrari if only they didn't have the thing that everyone gravitated towards.
I don’t think it’s ominous or promising regardless of whether they have a split turbo or not. What matters is if they found a good package with good performance. Maybe it’s good to be the only one going a certain way - so long as it’s the right way - as it bakes in an advantage? The bottom line is that the solution is not the important thing, the performance is.

Vanja #66

From autosport.com live
Leclerc's circulating on the C4 tyres, finding time on Perez. The Ferrari doesn't look particularly porpoisy, just reactive on the bumps.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach